Font:

LISTSERV Archives

MEDLIB-L Home

MEDLIB-L  August 2010, Week 3

MEDLIB-L August 2010, Week 3

Re: Ovid vs PubMed in Mapping to MeSH

"Vonville, Helena M" <[log in to unmask]>

Vonville, Helena M

Thu, 19 Aug 2010 08:42:17 -0500

I know how to use the PubMed MeSH db, although I find it a little clumsy.  I'm such an Ovid geek, even the new OvidSP, that I actually prefer to run searches in Ovid, then translate to PubMed on my own.  I much prefer the look of the Ovid tree over the PubMed/MeSH tree.

Here's an example of a search that started its life as an Ovid search, then I manually rewrote it for PubMed:

1. 	exp Emergency Service, Hospital/ or emergency medical services/
2. 	(emergency department* or emergency room* or emergency services).ti,ab.
3. 	(((Frequent or repeat or recidivis*) adj4 (ED or eds)) or (Heavy adj4 (ed or eds))).ti,ab.
4. 	or/1-3
5. 	insurance/ or insurance coverage/ or exp insurance, health/
6. 	(insured or uninsured or insurance or health coverage or payment*).ti,ab.
7. 	5 or 6
8. 	4 and 7
9. 	limit 8 to (english language and yr="1985 -Current")
10. 	(9 not exp child/) or (9 and exp adult/)

#1	Emergency Service, Hospital[mesh] OR emergency medical services[mesh:noexp]
#2	(emergency department*[tiab] OR emergency room*[tiab] OR emergency services[tiab])
#3 	(((Frequent[tiab] OR repeat[tiab] OR recidivis*[tiab]) AND (ED[tiab] OR eds[tiab])) OR (Heavy[tiab] AND (ed[tiab] OR eds[tiab])))
#4	#1 OR #2 OR #3
#5	insurance[mesh:noexp] OR insurance coverage[mesh:noexp] OR insurance, health[mesh]
#6	(insured[tiab] OR uninsured[tiab] OR insurance[tiab] OR health coverage[tiab] OR payment*[tiab])
#7 	#5 OR #6
#8	#4 AND #7
#9	(#8 NOT child[mesh]) OR (#8 AND adult[mesh])
#10	(#8 NOT child[mesh]) OR (#8 AND adult[mesh]) Limits: English, Publication Date from 1985 to 2011

I have *completely* stopped letting either Ovid or PubMed search keywords wherever.  (In Ovid, that's the .mp. code.) Ovid isn't so bad, but if you don't specify a field in PubMed, your terms get completely corrupted.  I like to demonstrate with my NHANES example.

Your researcher wants to find studies that have used NHANES data so you go to PubMed and enter: NHANES

Here's what PubMed actually searches:

"nutrition surveys"[MeSH Terms] OR ("nutrition"[All Fields] AND "surveys"[All Fields]) OR "nutrition surveys"[All Fields] OR "nhanes"[All Fields]
You also get 17500+ items returned.

If you search for: nhanes[tiab]

Here's what PubMed actually searches:
nhanes[tiab]

and you get 2347 hits (if you do this right now!).

Let's try the full name: national health and nutrition examination survey
PubMed searches for:

"nutrition surveys"[MeSH Terms] OR ("nutrition"[All Fields] AND "surveys"[All Fields]) OR "nutrition surveys"[All Fields] OR ("national"[All Fields] AND "health"[All Fields] AND "nutrition"[All Fields] AND "examination"[All Fields] AND "survey"[All Fields]) OR "national health and nutrition examination survey"[All Fields]

And returns 18000+ records.

"national health and nutrition examination survey"[tiab]

Returns 3416.

I like the fact the Ovid *suggests* terms for you to select if you don't specify a field code to search.  PubMed forces the terms on you.  I also like that I can do adjacency searching in Ovid which is great for those terms that don't always map or have good indexing.  In my search above, if you search for ED without qualifying the terms, you get something completely unrelated to emergency departments unless you pair it with other terms such as the I used in the Ovid search.

I wish PubMed had adjacency searching.  If not that, then let us search the abstract field separately which would approximate adjacency searching.  It'll make for incredibly clumsy searching.  Taking one of my lines from above, it would look like this:

(((Frequent[ti] OR repeat[ti] OR recidivis*[ti]) AND (ED[ti] OR eds[ti])) OR (Heavy[ti] AND (ed[ti] OR eds[ti])))   OR  (((Frequent[ab] OR repeat[ab] OR recidivis*[ab]) AND (ED[ab] OR eds[ab])) OR (Heavy[ab] AND (ed[ab] OR eds[ab])))

NOTE: You currently cannot search in the abstract field alone.  You can search JUST the TITLE field or you have to search BOTH TITLE and ABSTRACT.

So much easier to be able to do this:

(((Frequent[tiab] OR repeat[tiab] OR recidivis*[tiab]) adj4 (ED[tiab] OR eds[tiab])) OR (Heavy[tiab] AND (ed[tiab] OR eds[tiab])))

Or better:

(((Frequent OR repeat OR recidivis*)[tiab] AND (ED OR eds))[tiab] OR (Heavy AND (ed OR eds))[tiab])

In other words, quit forcing us to put the field codes after every term when we're searching the same fields!

Helena

Helena M. VonVille, MLS, MPH
Library Director
University of Texas School of Public Health Library
Houston, TX  77030
713.500.9131 (office)
713.500.9125 (fax)