IT-DISCUSS October 2010

Re: Synchronize PGP Password on Mac

Helen Read <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 27 Oct 2010 18:14:00 -0400

The problem resolved itself, but I am not entirely sure why. I no longer
get the two PGP passphrase prompts after logging in. I *think* they went
away after I cleared up another issue -- namely, whenever I logged in I
got error messages that it couldn't connect to sidney.cems.uvm.edu (the
old CEMS file server), even though I had deleted it out of Favorite
Servers. Turns out I had put the map-to-sidney in the Login Items, which
never worked anyway if I was connecting to UVM wireless. It tried to map
before I was logged in to UVM, and threw up an error message. So, once I
removed sidney from Login Items, PGP stopped asking for the old passphrase.

And as for the new CEMS server, I did not put that in the Login Items,
because it's just too annoying getting the failure message when I'm
connecting to wireless -- which is most of the time. Mac OS just doesn't
have a sense of humor about disconnected drives like Windows does. Oh,
well. At least the PGP issue is fixed, and I can still map the drive
manually each time I log in.

HPR