]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

MEDLIB-L Home

MEDLIB-L  November 2010, Week 3

MEDLIB-L November 2010, Week 3

SUMMARY: Quick survey for hospital librarians

"Beals, Brynn (Tacoma)" <[log in to unmask]>

Beals, Brynn (Tacoma)

Wed, 17 Nov 2010 09:27:28 -0800

Thanks for your feedback.  Summary follows.  I have removed identifying
information.

Original question:

1.	What have you done to market e-books in your hospital library
collection?
2.	Did it work?

Made personal presentations to managers, nurses, specialty groups like
physiotherapy, physicians

Did it work?  no

***********

1.    What have you done to market e-books in your hospital library

collection?  Mostly informal marketing but also formal classes for
nurses and "visiting professor" presentations to physicians at weekly
CME program.

2.    Did it work?   Hard to say- some of them are certainly being used.
We are close to dramatically limiting the number of print titles and
focusing more on the e-books, and I'm not sure how that will go.  I
rather suspect that some folks use the e-books while others continue
using the print.

**************

We just stared offering e-books this year.

The physicians that have privileges here each have a mailbox. I put a
flyer in each of them with a list of the available titles.

I also put an announcement in the physicians' newsletter as well as the
hospital newsletter. I include my name and number and tell readers to
contact me for more information or questions.

The news articles get good results as far as I can tell. I get stopped
in the hallway a lot after they have been published. Also the topic
comes up in meetings. I can then expound on the information and aim my
comments at the specialty of that particular doctor.

It always helps to get information to the talkative doctors that love to
share what they know with others.

*********************

1.  Nothing -- they were here when I got here and I haven't known where
to start

2.  About like you would expect nothing to work.

This is one of my 2011 opportunities for improvement, though.  I'll let
you know how it turns out.

**********************

We have a growing collection of electronic books, and we include them in
our bi-monthly new books list and in our online catalog.  We usually get
our ebooks in packages, and I put out an email to the residents, medical
staff, researchers, and selected other staff (i.e. nursing education)
when we add a batch.  In these messages, I usually just provide a
partial list of titles.  In my environment, so many of our e-books are
very specialized (methods, protocols, etc.) that it takes an ongoing
push to remind users that we have a lot more resources than meets the
eye, since the usage usually comes in a particular time of need and not
on an ongoing basis.  E-books make up approximately 10% of our
collection at this point, but the constitute many of our newer
acquisitions and will probably increase in that regard.

***************************

We really have not done much at all to market our e-books.  Just last
month we set up a separate section of out catalog just for e-books.
This was done mainly because the majority of our e-books were purchased
from Ovid, but now that McGraw-Hill is pulling their books out, we
needed one place from which all books could be accessed no matter where
they were purchased.

I am hoping that this will give our ebooks increased visibility and
therefore more use but that remains to be seen.

***************************

Orientation

Website with ebooks listed by title and by topic Emails to specific
groups Library blog

***************************

1. We had STAT!-Ref for years, and, given the specialized nature of our
hospital, it wasn't able to fulfill most of our needs.  Discontinued. A
few books available thru NursingConsult.  We aren't going the e-books
route at this time.

(and, I think that answers #2, too.)

***************************

1.	We made signs to put out near the computers, added a section on
our website just for ebooks, and put flyers with the list of ebooks we
have in our new resident library packets.
	2. Maybe just a little.  The radiology residents use the
radiology ebooks we have pretty regularly and two of the surgery
textbooks we have get used, but as far as the others go, our stats are
very low.

I've done newsletters highlighting them when we've added a new batch.

I present a 10 minute slot over at the new physican orientation ...
every  2nd Friday, and I always talk about the e-books and show them the
access page on our website,  I usually click on the A-Z listing and
scroll down a bit to show them the wide variety of topics they cover.

We give each new provider an information packet and include listings of
e-books in that, though we may quit doing this now we have about 640
titles.

We have Rittenhouse's R2 Library. I promote it through handouts, email
reminders, in our library orientation package, and it is part of my
Beginning Searching for Evidence class that I teach eight sessions in
the fall and an Advanced Searching class that I teach every Spring. The
R2 Library is not a page turning technology like Kindles. it is rather a
chapter by chapter presentation and some of my staff find it cumbersome
to use. The screen presentation is not "slick", but rather needs a lot
of scrolling to read the content. We basically like our R2 Library, but
hope it becomes page turning in the near future.

All my promotional efforts yield users and questions; I have a great
staff eager for new technology and resources.

1.	Listed on intranet site; include in OPAC; brochures/flyers; demo
for residents, other staff.
2.	No

1.	What have you done to market eBooks in your hospital library
collection?

*	Most recently, our web systems librarian along with her IS
partner created a database in SharePoint that the eBooks and eAudiobooks
are listed.  These are categorized by subject.  The subject categories
have an RSS Feed option.  In IE 7 and above, you are able to "bookmark"
the feeds in your favorites for quick, clean, and easy access to the
eBooks.  We have been invited to share this with several physician and
leadership groups.
*	Added NetLibrary to add leadership materials to the eBook/eAudio
collection and are embedded in a knowledge base for building leadership
competencies
*	Created table tents and displayed on cafeteria tables (featuring
NetLibrary)
*	Include this information in New Leader Orientation
*	Purchased a Kindle and Nook for the librarians to experiment
with so we can demonstrate and share our learning in a Brown Bag Lunch
(still in the learning curve).

2.	Did it work?

*	Yes.  And, I expect this awareness to continue growing as eBooks
become more popular with all of the eReader devices available.

*************************************

Did a Grand Rounds on electronic library resources a little over a year
ago which covered (but was not limited to) the use of e-books. It was
well received by the physicians and hospital staff who attended, but
attendance itself was poor. Then offered this same "class" to any
department within the medical center, and got a much better response.
Eventually gave the class to about 10 departments, which then led to
individual sessions from staff who had either missed the presentation in
his/her own department, or heard about it and wanted an individual
session. Very time-consuming, but worthwhile - gave the library exposure
and was gratifying to see the "word-of-mouth" interest.

Brynn Beals, MLS, AHIP

Library Program Manager

Franciscan Health System

St. Joseph Medical Center

MS 01-62

PO Box 2197

1717 S. J Street

Tacoma WA 98401-2197

Phone: 253-426-6778

Fax: 253-426-6260

Looking for Answers?  @sk Your Medical Librarian: Your Key to Quality
Information

The information contained in this communication is confidential and
private and intended only for the use of the addressee.  Unauthorized
use, disclosure, distribution or copying is strictly prohibited and may
be unlawful.  If you received this communication in error, please inform
us of the erroneous delivery by return email.  Thank you for your
cooperation.

1.	What have you done to market e-books in your hospital library
collection?
2.	Did it work?

Thanks for your feedback.  I will summarize for the lists.