]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

IT-DISCUSS Home

IT-DISCUSS  January 2011

IT-DISCUSS January 2011

Re: Microsoft OneNote for iOS now available (free for a limited time)

David Houston <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 19 Jan 2011 11:39:19 -0500

Well, gotta say... it's pretty woofy stuff.

I'm testing the iPad here and I just downloaded it.  Some observations...
(Caveat: while I apparently have an email address that is valid as a
Windows Live ID, I don't have a Hotmail Account associated with it, so I
was not even able to get past the first hurdles)

In sadly typical fashion, they seem to have usurped the interface,
re-written their own, which is painful to use.  This is really bad on the
whole sign-in part.  The entire keyboard pop-up is their own, lacks all
the simplicities of the built-in version (example, no '@' on the first
tier, so entering your email address for Live ID is a nuisance).

After jumping through several hoops, and getting told that although I was
logged in the lack of a Hotmail Account meant I couldn't use the product -
at all! Thus, there is an absolute network dependency from the get-go that
is unfortunate.

Finally, my attempt to "sign out" failed due to the apparent installation
of some sort of non-removable cookie.  That's a poor approach to secuirty
on a device that, from my perspective, already has some security issues
that are troubling.

Let's hope the next iterations learn a few more things.... It's not ready
for prime time!

	David Houston
	University of Vermont
	Phone: (802) 656 2013
	**
        "You are nestled in our hearts forever"
        **

On Tue, 18 Jan 2011, Geoffrey Duke intoned:

GD:
GD:[From downloadsquad.com]
GD:
GD:MICROSOFT ONENOTE FOR IOS NOW AVAILABLE, LETS YOU CREATE AND EDIT NOTES ON THE GO
GD:
GD:by Vlad Bobleanta on January 18, 2011 at 03:00 PM
GD:
GD:FILED UNDER: apps, microsoft
GD:
GD:Description: Microsoft OneNote Mobile for iOS
GD:
GD:Microsoft has released OneNote Mobile for the iPhone, iPad and iPod touch today, and
GD:it's the first application in the Office suite to make it to iOS.
GD:Microsoft's SkyDrive storage is used to sync notes between the iOS app and the
GD:other OneNoteclients (for Windows, Web, and Windows Phone 7).
GD:
GD:OneNote Mobile lets you access, create, and edit your notes and lists on your iOS
GD:device. You can create notes that include text, pictures, bullets, and checkboxes --
GD:and combining some or all of those can easily result in shopping lists, To Do lists,
GD:trip preparations, and many other useful types of notes. You can also organize your
GD:notes into sections or access the notebooks you've created in OneNote 2010 for
GD:Windows or the OneNote Web App. OneNote Mobile gives you quick access to your recent
GD:notes, and you can easily check To Do items off while on the go.
GD:
GD:Microsoft OneNote Mobile for iOS is available for free for a limited time only. It
GD:will work on any iOS device that is running iOS 4.2 or newer, and requires a Windows
GD:Live ID.
GD:
GD:
GD: