Re: SVU - Education Seminar @ the HIlton Crystal City

Steve Haracznak <[log in to unmask]>

UVM Flownet <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 20 Feb 2011 18:47:44 -0500

Mr. Ehler and everyone else on Flownet

This ongoing labor issue is between the Hilton Crystal City hotel and the Unite Here labor union and has been going on for several years. SVU carries NO weight or responsibility in this labor issue. SVU was not aware of this labor dispute when we signed a contract with the Hilton Crystal City Hotel last summer. What Micah does not say is that if SVU withdrew our meeting from the Hilton Crystal City hotel that SVU would have to pay a substantial penalty to the Hilton Crystal City hotel if we cancelled the meeting as we have a signed contract with the Hilton. I don't see Micah or his union offering to pay SVU for our penalty fee if we cancelled our meeting at the hotel.

I have talked directly with the general manager of the Hilton Crystal City and he assures me that various meetings have been held at the Hilton over the past several years that this labor dispute has been going on and there has been no disruption to any meeting being held there, hotel guests continue to arrive and depart without interuption, food and beverge deliveries are made without any problem, as the union only pickets the hotel about 1 hour a week and well away from the hotel entrance. This is not the only hotel in the DC area that Unite Here is involved in a labor dispute. If SVU did pull our meeting out of the hotel it would have absolutely NO impact on this labor dispute.

Mr. Ehler has really stepped over the line of professionalism and legal ethics by taking his labor dispute, which does not involve SVU in any way, to Flownet, which is to be used for vascular ultrasound professional develpment and discussion, and not as a platform for his labor dispute. Mr. Ehler has been so unprofessional that he has even called each of SVU's Board of Directors at work or at home to try and make his point, which I again mention has nothing to do with SVU. SVU's attorney has called and asked Mr. Ehler to call him back, and Mr. Ehler has refused to do so. I have not returned his calls because SVU has no role to play in this labor dispute. SVU is a very small meeting for the hotel. We are just one of many organizations that have met or plan to meet at the Hilton Crystal City hotel. Meetings are being held at the Hilton Crystal City hotel every day without disruption of any form. I might add that his union membes continure to work at the hotel dispute this ongoing labor dispute. Mr. Ehler needs to focus his attention on the Hilton Crystal City Hotel and not SVU or its members via Flownet as I again state that SVU has NO role to play in this labor dispute. I apologize to the Flownet readers that Mr. Ehler felt it necessary to take his labor dispute to the SVU members and other vascular ultrasound professionals who are on Flownet. Doing so was beyond legal professionalism and legal ethics and is regretful.

Steve Haracznak
SVU Executive Director
From: UVM Flownet [[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Micah Ehler [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Sunday, February 20, 2011 3:31 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: SVU - Education Seminar @ the HIlton Crystal City

Denise,

I understand why you see it this way. Unfortunately the
workers of the Hilton Crystal City and my attempts of
handling this privately was unsuccessful. SVU leadership
will not even meet or speak with the workers. SVU refuses
to even discuss the boycott and their use of the hotel. It
is a stressful situation for everyone, the workers who are
struggling to take care of their families, and SVU now
being brought to make a decision of, do we stand by our
ethics and move? Do nothing and wait and see? Do we
support the workers struggle? Or, do we support the
company by denouncing the workers attempts of fighting for
a fair contract?

The workers and I have been attempting to have a meeting
with the SVU leadership since October of 2010. The respect
was never given to us to even have this discussion in a
private setting.

The reality of the situation is this. SVU has
unfortunately booked their conference @ a boycotted hotel.
Boycotts mean rallies, picket lines and other worker
actions directed at the hotel that customers may find
disruptive and upsetting. SVU can take the lead and
support the workers by honoring the boycott. They have
chosen not too. They can also make sure the conference
attendees experience is fulfilling by not putting their
members in a position of potentially having to cross
picket lines. Unfortunately this has not happened either.

I am always open to ideas of how we as a community can
work together. I am happy to speak with you more on this
issue.

In Solidarity,
Micah Ehler
Unite HERE