Re: SUMMARY: ProVation vs Zynx

"Harrow, Andrea" <[log in to unmask]>

Harrow, Andrea

Fri, 29 Apr 2011 14:29:11 -0700

Dear Colleagues,

Firstly, thank you so much Rosemarie Taylor for the email you sent dated April 19 which has been extremely helpful in getting me up to speed with CPOE use of evidence base for order sets.  We had a Zynx rep come out today to show us how the "z" buttons will work.  These z buttons go from the CPOE checklists to the relevant Zynx evidence base entry. At the bottom of that Zynx entry is a linkout option to either First Consult or Dynamed.  What I am curious to know is, does ProVation have a similar established link to say Clin-eguide, with the option to also linkout to UptoDate or does it allow you to choose UptoDate or another evidence base as the initial evidence base?  Does my question make sense?  And, does anyone know whether either of these support linking to Micromedex or ACP Pier?

I would also like to comment on the auto updating and the possible loss of this functionality when order sets are customized.  The big issue discussed at our meeting today was how any evidence updates or new recommendations cannot be automated because all of these order sets will need to go through hospital committees to be approved for adoption.  You will be wanting to make available any new suggested evidence updates in a format that clinicians can compare and discuss for possible adoption, but nothing can be made automatic that bypasses usual committee policy approval.

Thank you so much Rosemarie Taylor for also sharing all of your hard work with the EBM comparisons with the MEDLIB list.

Best wishes,
Andrea Harrow, MLS
Medical Librarian / IRB & CME Coordinator
Good Samaritan Hospital, Los Angeles
213-977-2323

-----Original Message-----
From: Medical Libraries Discussion List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Taylor, Rosemarie
Sent: Tuesday, April 19, 2011 11:08 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: SUMMARY: ProVation vs Zynx

***Cross Posted***

I'd like to thank everyone who responded to my inquiry regarding
ProVation and Zynx.

Most of my respondents said they either have or have seen Zynx. Some of
the positive comments were that the content is good, infobuttons link to
their Evidence database which has graded EMB, references are linked to
Pubmed and/or DynaMed or CINAHL. Negative comments were it was
expensive, clunky to use, direct searching is convoluted. One of the
main reasons hospitals purchase it is for creating order sets. (More on
this below.)

Two librarians said their hospitals are usinge ProVation. One said they
had been using Clin-eguide as the evidence base for their order sets but
that ProVation now uses UpToDate.  I received conflicting information
regarding using DynaMed with ProVation. One librarian said that they are
using both and don't have remote access to UpToDate, so they couldn't
use that for updating their order sets. Another said they went with Zynx
because ProVation doesn't integrate with DynaMed. It may be that you can
use both tools but DynaMed won't update the order sets in ProVation. (If
I'm incorrect in this, please let me know.)

Both librarians with ProVation cautioned me regarding the order sets.
One said they were using ProVation but that wasn't their only source for
the sets. She said they already had some electronic sets, plus their old
print sets. I'm going to include the full-text of the second response,
since it sums it up nicely.

" I have evaluated both products, and I am also currently researching
another one, Order Optimizer. ProVation is not as pricey as Zynx but it
is missing some of the flexibility. The resources are great, but what we
found is it is still very labor intensive work. Most physicians will not
just accept all of the order sets. They will go through each one and
customize for their organization. As you customize then you loose the
great feature of auto updates from the vendor. Some things will still
auto update, but not everything depending on the level of customization.
Also, you want to make sure whatever product you decide on that it
integrates with your EMR system. Most will say they integrate but most
do not integrate 100% yet."

I did find a side-by-side comparison of Zynx with other point-of-care
tools including ACP Pier, Clinical Evidence, Clinical Resources @OVID,
Diseasedex-General Medicine, DynaMed, eMedicine, Evidence Matters,First
Consult, Harrison's Practice: Answers on Demand, HealthGate, InfoPOEMS,
Prodigy Knowledge, UpToDate, and Zynx Evidence done by the Texas Health
Sciences Library Consortium.in 2006, It is a little dated but you might
get a feel for some of the features in the databases and how they
compare to each other.
http://www.thslc.org/papers.html
<blocked::http://www.thslc.org/papers.html>

Rosemarie K. Taylor, MALS, MBA, AHIP | Manager, Library Services |
Wyoming Valley Health Care System | [log in to unmask] |
575 N. River St. | Wilkes-Barre, PA   18764 | Tel: 570-552-1175 | Fax:
570-552-1183

they are addressed.
originator of the message. This footer also confirms that this
email message has been scanned for the presence of computer viruses.

states them to be the views of Wyoming Valley Health Care System.

Scanning of this message and addition of this footer is performed
by Websense Email Security software in conjunction with
virus detection software.

Confidentiality Notice: This email is intended only for the person(s) identified above. It
contains information which may be privileged, confidential and/or exempt from disclosure
under law. If you are not the intended recipient of the email, you are hereby notified that
you should not review the contents of the email, and that any review, dissemination,
distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you received this in
error, please notify us immediately at [log in to unmask] Also, please either forward
the email to [log in to unmask], or destroy it in such a way that it cannot be
accidentally redisclosed.  Thank you.</span>