]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

MEDLIB-L Home

MEDLIB-L  April 2011, Week 5

MEDLIB-L April 2011, Week 5

Summary of suggestions on expert speakers on mobile technologies--preferably in medical settings

Hope Leman <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 29 Apr 2011 09:42:00 -0700

Hi, all. Please excuse the cross posting.

I just want to thank everyone who took the time and went to the trouble of responding to my request for suggestions on expert speakers on mobile technologies--preferably in medical settings. I am very grateful for the help and the expertise shared.

Below is the summary. Thank you again. What a knowledgeable, courteous bunch you are.

Hope Leman, MLIS
Research Information Technologist
Center for Health Research and Quality
Samaritan Health Services
815 NW 9th Street
Corvallis, OR 97330
(541) 768-5712

Gabe Rios is excellent and very easy to work with. He and Melissa De Santis usually work in tandem to present. I brought them to Buffalo twice to present - once at UNYOC, our MLA chapter meeting.

I would heartily recommend them both.

You might check with Gabe Rios at UAB.  He's done lots of social networking stuff and I think he's up on mobile technology and devices as well.

He is a great speaker, I've seen him a few times at conferences, plus he's a Southern Chapter member, so I know him pretty well.

I know that Gabe Rios and one of his colleagues from UVa used to teach a class about using PDAs in medical library settings.

I don't know if Gabe ever moved the presentation forward into mobile phones, but I would be surprised if he did not. IMO Gabe is a friendly and engaging speaker who can explain the importance of technology in plain language. I don't know Gabe personally (and no, he's not paying me!). I know that he is now at UAB if you want to sound him out.

I am not surprised to learn that you received multiple suggestions to choose Gabe. I think that he inspired a number of medical librarians on this topic (in fact, I applied for and received a $50,000 LSTA grant after taking his class several years ago).

Gabe would be very good as well.  He and Pat Higginbottom have done a number of sessions on mobile technologies here on campus.

I am sure someone else will mention him but I really enjoy the work of John
Halamka.  He spoke at MLA last year.  http://geekdoctor.blogspot.com/

Another doctor is Ves Dimov, M.D. at http://casesblog.blogspot.com/.
He talks a lot about mobile technology along with his other work.

And, of course, the bloggers at http://www.imedicalapps.com

I subscribe to imedicalapps.com to keep up with new apps for our library's monthly mobile app workshop; it's quite a helpful resource.  You might try contacting Iltifat Husain, the founder of the site.

Late last year, we had a mobile computing symposium  hosted by our
library. I very much enjoyed the talks by these speakers:

Iltifat Husain -medical student-(iMedicalApps.com)
Roman Cibirka -faculty -(Medical College of Georgia)

Wanted to share this article with you - Dr. Halamka is definitely a
great speaker and can speak w/ authority and experience about mobile
technology in healthcare.  May be a good resource for you.
http://www.medcitynews.com/2011/04/some-of-the-best-android-iphone-medical-apps-for-students

I cannot recommend Dr. Halamka highly enough!

I heard Michael Stephens present a 6 hour for the Arizona Libraries Assn. in March. He is a great speaker but is not a health science librarian. He just accepted a teaching post at San Jose State in the library school. Prior to that he was a Dominican University in Colorado. Here is his web blog http://tametheweb.com

Bobbi Newman, Chattahoochee Valley Libraries, Columbus, GA, was one of the Library Journal 2011 Movers & Shakers and from http://www.libraryjournal.com/csp/cms/sites/LJ/LJInPrint/MoversAndShakers/profiles2011/moversandshakersNewman.csp

"Through her award-winning Libraries and Transliteracy blog and well-attended presentations at various national and international library conferences, she is raising awareness on the importance of connecting with users across multiple platforms."

Her blog has a Mobile Technology category at http://librariesandtransliteracy.wordpress.com/category/mobile-technology-2/

So I think she would be a good presenter for mobile technologies (I haven't seen/heard her present myself, though). I follow her on Twitter…

I forgot to mention, I'm pretty sure she's a member of MLA and can speak to mobile technologies in the medical/clinical setting

Megan Fox spoke on mobile technologies at last year's Southern Chapter meeting.  It was one of the best presentations I've seen on a technical subject.  Lots of information but extremely well organized.

Here's the link to info about her from the SCMLA website:
http://library.hsc.usf.edu/scmla/program-a-events/general-sessions.html

Hope, we had Megan Fox at our last Chapter meeting, and she was excellent. She got rave reviews on the evals. I do understand, however, that it's not easy to get on her list. Good luck with your program planning!

In November I was the Conference Chair for the Southern Chapter MLA meeting held here in St. Petersburg and we had a fantastic speaker on this topic!  Her name is Megan Fox....  and here's the info from our program:

 Getting It On the Go:  Mobile Access to Information
Megan K. Fox
Director, Knowledge Management and Information Technology
Jobs for the Future

Slides: http://www.slideshare.net/meganreads/fox-mobile-scmlanov2010

Ms. Fox will be talking about the impact of mobile technologies on libraries.  This is a hot topic for all of us as we try to provide resources and services for our users with smartphones. Ms. Fox will get us thinking about how to respond to these changes in information seeking and be leaders in providing access to instant information and services, anytime, anywhere.   What’s working best for libraries?  A mobile web site or an app for the iPhone?  How are traditional library vendors adapting to the mobile world?  What new information providers are most promising?    We will also look at the hottest mobile search applications.

Her talk received outstanding evaluations - you almost couldn't take notes fast enough!  She has cut down on some of her speaking engagements but it doesn't hurt to ask.  At first she turned down our invite, but wrote this recommendation of other speakers on this topic:

Thank you for the invitation - I recently transitioned from academia to the non-profit sector and have been limiting speaking engagements while I acclimate to the new job.

I can recommend Elyssa Kroski or Joe Murphy (Yale), who have both spoken and written extensively on the topic of mobile information and libraries as well.

However, we were persistent and wore her down... ;-)  We booked her on a weekend so she could fly in and out on non-work days.

Central Library Cooperative of Central Florida (back when they had state funding) had Mickey Boyd from FSU in Tallahassee give different library tech workshops for several years...often on emerging technologies.    He is a very witty, popular presenter....and extremely knowledgeable.

This was a speaker at the Southern Chapter, MLA, meeting last fall.  She is from Boston, MA.

Getting It On the Go:  Mobile Access to Information
Megan K. Fox
Director, Knowledge Management and Information Technology
Jobs for the Future

I am the continuing education coordinator for the Tampa Bay Medical Library Network. Last year I had Mickey Boyd do an emerging technologies workshop (much of it was about mobile technologies) and he was a huge hit.  Many librarians wanted him to come back on a regular basis.  Mickey is amazing knowledgeable, fast-paced and hilarious.....an outstanding presenter.

I was Program Chair for the NAHSL 2010 conference in Newport, RI.  We
had David Rothman from Rochester General Hospital speak, and he was a
very engaging speaker.  You might want to take a look at his web site
and blog:

http://davidrothman.net/

You should also consider David Rothman (davidrothman.net) who does a Web 2.0 class. He presented for us at our UNYOC Conference in Ithaca, NY, a couple years ago.

A person who comes to my mind right away is Dean Giustini.  He's the Biomedical Branch Librarian at Univ. British Columbia in Vancouver.

He is well known in the community and beyond for his in depth and current knowledge about mobile apps, Web 2.0., Social Media in relation to the health care community.

Take a look at Educause Future of Mobile program (it's going on all week):

http://www.educause.edu/resources/mobile

Judy Brown, today's presenter, was terrific!

We just had a great online class from our RML:

Mobile Apps and Devices: An Overview
Instructors: Rebecca Brown and Sharon Dennis
Mobile device adoption is growing at a rapid rate, and many of our library patrons and colleagues are embracing the technology. This 1 hour class will present an overview of mobile devices and apps, focusing on the Google Android and Apple mobile operating systems. We will cover the various options for mobile devices and operating systems; describe the difference between a mobile web site and app; and review some popular apps and mobile web sites for searching, mobile health, communications, productivity and fun

Here is the URL for the recording and bibliography. It's the first one under Technology: http://nnlm.gov/mcr/education/online.html#A13

I wondered if you had seen

http://www.apple.com/education/academix/

It's tomorrow morning and is entirely Apple sponsored/focused but there is a talk from an OSU Professor who might be an option for you:

Catherine R. Lucey, M.D., FACP, Interim Dean and Vice Dean for Education,
Associate Vice President for Health Sciences Education,
The Ohio State University College of Medicine

How mobility can deliver better education and patient care.

message.