ISOGEOCHEM May 2011

Re: Flash 1112 problem

Bruno Lavettre <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 20 May 2011 11:00:09 -0700

Hi Ben,

Sometimes the EA will not show the Ready condition even though it looks like
the temperatures are at the correct set point. I would first try raising the
GC Oven temperature to a higher set point just to see if the EA will become
Ready and maintain the ready state. If that works, find the lowest GC Oven
temperature closest to your original set point that works. If that does not
help you can also try modifying the left and right furnace temperatures to
see if you can find settings that work. A left furnace temperature of
980-1020 oC and a right furnace temperature of 650-750 oC should not change
your results at all.

If the higher GC Oven temperature stabilizes the system, but you find you
are not getting enough separation between N2 and CO2 (assuming you are
looking at N  and C), you can always move the GC column oven out of the GC
Oven and operate it at ambient temperature.

One other thing to try is to connect a ground wire to the grounding screw on
the back of the Flash and run it to the nearest good grounding point. Maybe
a bad ground is causing some instability. Use #10 wire for the ground.

Cheers,
Bruno Lavettre
Costech Analytical Technologies, Inc.