Re: Cheap Cataloging Software Summary

"Kraft, Michelle" <[log in to unmask]>

Kraft, Michelle

Wed, 18 May 2011 11:55:07 -0400

I spoke with CyberTools at MLA this week and asked them specifically about the end user (public) interface and when they were going to upgrade it.I have one librarian who I work with who specifically asked me to ask him about it.  Mark Roux told me that they would like to upgrade it but that is not a priority at this time, he said people (librarian customers) were more interested in the A-Z and some other products.
He couldn't give me a timeframe as to when he might think it will be upgraded.

I am kind of frustrated by this. While I love CyberTools and what they are doing, they are bringing a lot of services to librarians that are usually very expensive with other systems like A-Z, ERM, etc.  They have phenomenal help desk and tech support.  But I really feel they operate on an outdated service model.  They focus too much on the librarians using the product and the back end, NOT enough on the users using the product and the front end.  Yes we librarians want a product to do something specific for our needs, but if the product is confusing, not engaging, or a turn off to our patrons THEY AREN'T GOING TO USE IT!  I don't buy products my patrons don't use. The front end is extremely important and to put it at the bottom of the todo list is frustrating to this librarian who has to justify funding an excellent product that looks like a 1985 computer system to an administration that is constantly looking to trim the fat.  The front end matters because like it or not our administration and doctors judge a book by the cover.  Like it or not people DON'T use systems that look awkward which it does.
We are in business because of the users and we need products that take their needs into account too.

Michelle

________________________________

From: Medical Libraries Discussion List on behalf of Mary Spalding
Sent: Mon 5/16/2011 3:42 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Cheap Cataloging Software Summary

Whew!  Be careful what you ask for!  I got so many responses to this
question that it's taken me a while to get the summary together--but
everyone's input has been incredibly valuable to me.  This email is a
long one because the comments were so helpful.

If you're interested, I'm leaning toward Library World this year,
simply because of the interface issue mentioned by some people.  If
that gets fixed by CyberTools, maybe I'll reconsider.  I do also want
to check out some of the others mentioned; I may decide to go with one
of the others, depending on what I find.

LW & CT were neck-and-neck.  Here is the breakdown (which I hope I
added correctly) and after that, I've posted all the comments to help
others sort through the various issues that many responders brought
up.  If I missed anyone's comment, I apologize--feel free to chime in
again if I missed an important point.  I really do appreciate
everyone's help!

Library World  12
CyberTools     11
Resource Mate   2
EOS for Medical Libraries 2
Library Thing    1
Ask Sam         1
Koha           1
PMB ILS          1

Comments:
1. Try LibraryWorld - very affordable
2. I love Cybertools.  Easy to use and link to catalog can be posted
anywhere.  I pay a fairly low annual fee to have everything hosted on
their computer.  Using Access would be a nightmare and not very
useful.
3. I am a devoted user of AskSam. I. Love. Them. Go to their website
or give them a call. They are affordable and very user friendly.
4. I have been very happy with Library World. It is very inexpensive
and quite user friendly: www.libraryworld.com
5. I'll give another thumbs up to CyberTools!
6. My vote is for Library World - you can contact them here:
7. http://www.libraryworld.com/cgi-bin/lw2.pl?command=show_page&pagename=home_support.html.
 To access our OPAC (http://opac.libraryworld.com/opac/home)  off
site, you may be prompted for a user name and password. Enter CMC
Medical Library in the "library name" box on the sign in page, and
leave the password box blank.
8. We too use LibraryWorld and love it.  Easy to import records and
clean them up if necessary.  Very user friendly, and inexpensive.
Lots of bang for your buck.
9. For my church library, I looked into LibraryWorld and ResourceMate,
and chose ResourceMate, because with LibraryWorld, you pay an annual
cost every year of around $400-$500.  With ResourceMate, you buy it
once, and pay a $75 annual maintenance fee.  But, if you've got to "be
in the cloud", ResourceMate is a software-based product.  LibraryWorld
is hosted online.  So, there are benefits to both and the initial cost
is rather similar.  The annual cost, is what caused me to go with
ResourceMate.
10. Comment on above:  Especially if you have a constant fight with IT
to update software.
11. Comment on above:  I'll second Shannon's comment -- NOT having to
deal with IT dept was one of my main criteria in choosing
LibraryWorld!  It is also easy to manage, cheap, and MARC-based (I
import from Marcive or NLM) so i don't have to do much data input.
12. Comment on above:  I agree!  LibraryWorld has been extremely easy
to use and reasonably priced.
13. I'm in the process of changing our library system as well. Since a
final decision hasn't been made, all of the positive comments about
CyberTools has been helpful to me as well. I considered them when
looking, but wasn't impressed with the patron interface for the
catalog.  We have a huge problem here getting staff to use new
technology, so I wanted something that looked a little more user
friendly. I settled on the web based system from EOS for medical
libraries. It's probably more expensive than CyberTools, but we
currently use TLC which is more than twice as much and just awful.
Our Patient Library uses LibraryWorld and for $400 a year it's perfect
for that.
14. I am going to have to chime in here about Library World.  We have
been using it for several years,and it is an easy to use, inexpensive
product with excellent support. It used to be advertised at a dollar a
day - the annual price has increased slightly,  but well worth it! I
download MARC records from the NLM; if any changes need to be made, it
is easy to do "in house."  If you have technical questions, here is
the company's contact info: www.libraryworld.com.  If you want to see
our catalog, here you go:  To access the OPAC off site, you may be
prompted for a user name and password. Enter CMC Medical Library in
the "library name" box on the sign in page, and leave the password box
blank: http://opac.libraryworld.com/opac/home
15. LibraryThing is a free web-based program; you could just link to
it from the website.  You do get what you pay for... it's cluttery and
not pretty, no circ function, but it would get the info out there!
16. I love Cybertools.  Easy to use and link to catalog can be posted
anywhere.  I pay a fairly low annual fee to have everything hosted on
their computer.  Using Access would be a nightmare and not very
useful.
17. www.cybertoolsforlibraries.com
18. I use LibraryWorld (www.libraryworld.com). It is less than
$400/year and is maintained totally on their servers. You can sign up
for a 1 month trial and experiment with it. The OPAC is a bit basic
but it allows for different types of searching. If you would like to
look at my OPAC it is at
(http://opac.libraryworld.com/cgi-bin/opac.pl?command=signin&libraryname=STJRMC
 LIBRARY).  I looked at CyberTools and liked it too but it was more
than my budget.
19. I use LibraryWorld- super reasonably priced and easy to use.
http://www.libraryworld.com/cgi-bin/lw2.pl?command=show_page&pagename=home.html
20. We have Cybertools but are soon switching to Koha.  I am not the
one making the decision and I hardly ever use it other than looking up
what we have but I think it is because they never got around to doing
what they promised. They were supposed to make an acquisition model
and some other things.  I have been here for 3 years and they had it
when I came.  I think the powers in charge just got tired of waiting
and this new product came along.  I don't think it is much more
expensive because we just can't afford it right now. We are 4
libraries in four different town rolled into one.
21. We use CyberTools too. And their price has not changed in the 4
years we've used them.
22. I manage a consortium of small medical libraries.  We were on
Voyager for 11 years and they literally priced us out of their system.
 We have just switched to Cybertools.  The price is DEFINITELY right,
and the folks there are incredible to work with.  We had two VAs in my
group and Voyager would not penetrate the firewall.  Plus we had to
own our server which meant I had to do upgrades, backups, etc yada,
yada, ad nauseum!!  Cybertools is going to cost us less than half the
amount of Voyager for my group and at less than half the problems.
VERY user friendly and easy.  Go for it!!
23. I used to use CyberTools in my previous library and there are 4
libraries in our system that use it.  I like the product for the price
and the fact that they are always very responsive, helpful and nice.
They have some of the best people when you have problems and need
help.  The only problem I have with them is that the front end of
their product is due for a serious facelift and upgrade.  I know they
have been working on this but a new version seems to get pushed back
often.  I also think their product caters a little too much to
librarians and doesn't focus on how library users find information
(example their product's front end). Why does this matter?  In this
day our patrons are used to a product with a more sophisticated look,
when something doesn't have that they either don't search it or don't
know search it in all the ways that it can be searched.  CyberTools is
a great product, the people are excellent to work with. If you need a
cheap hosted catalog system to get you off of the cards, they are
definitely worth your consideration
24. I would like to add my support for CyberTools.  I have one or two
very minor issues with the program but overall I have been more than
happy with the system.  The service is amazing.  Three years ago, when
the department was downsized, Lori called to offer her condolences and
to remind me to decrease our users when we renewed so that we didn't
get charged for staff we no longer had.  What other vendor would help
you save money like that?
25. We also looked at Sydney Plus--they are out of Vancouver BC.  A
really great company.  They also host the server--that is  a HUGE
thing.  But they are more expensive than Cybertools and they only
promised to hold the fees for 2 (maybe 3) years.  The people are super
nice.  I don't know anything at all about the other ones you
mentioned.  I will tell you that there are now around 74 VAs on
Cybertools, if that tells you any thing.  Mark and Lori Roux are a
couple who started this company about 30 years ago and have grown it
into a big and great system.  I do not think you will be disappointed
if you go that route.  If you do, please tell Mark or Lori that I (and
 the others ) recommended them.  They bent over backwards to put our
catalog into the system and it was a mega mess.  Mark spent many more
hours than he billed us for.  We will be forever grateful to them.
26. How large are your libraries, please? How many titles? Do you use
CyberTools to list journals as well? Links to e-books? We are using
Professional Software and it has really been okay, but I am curious
about other software as well.
27. On  Cybertools:  They can find it but the catalog looks a lot like
a catalog from the 1980's and quite frankly our users do judge things
by their cover.  They do great support, and back end services like
electronic resource management, but my only criticism is that front
end needs to look like something our users would want to search.  Here
is one of the catalog of one of the hospitals in our system using it.
http://maple.cybertoolsforlibraries.com/cgi-bin/CyberHTML?CCEHIHO.  If
you search for Hursts and click on the 2011, you will notice the
record is very plain and is modeled after a card from the card
catalog.  Most doctors and professional people have never searched a
card catalog. I am almost 40 years old and the only card catalog I
searched was for the moldy old stuff when I was in library school. So
it is not unreasonable that most of your docs have never used one
(beside possibly the one in your library).  So they don't "get" the
layout, they view it as jumbled and unfriendly.  They have no idea
about the structure of a cataloged card to know cardiovascular
diseases is the subject entry and the various author entries.  There
is nothing on that card to tell them that.  If they grew up with cards
they would know, but they didn't.  I have tried many times to explain
this to Mark Roux at CyberTools and I think he thinks that much of
this is window dressing and not important, but it is.
28. I concur with those who find Cybertools useful.  The price is the
most reasonable that I have come across (and I've looked at quite a
number of systems), especially for a professional interface that
handles serials well and includes circulation and acquisitions
functions, as well as cataloging. I had a unique firewall problem that
Cybertools solved.  Two thumbs (a big toe) up for Cybertools.
29. I agree.  CyberTools is terrific - best customer support I've ever
encountered with very reasonable pricing.  I use them for my nursing
and allied health collections and they are a great fit.
30. In addition to the excellent CyberTools I suggest you look at
ResourceMate. < http://www.resourcemate.com/ >  For $800 (or less) you
get full library automation using MARC records (with a Z39 import
tool), additional modules are $100 each, and include a room scheduler,
Web access to your catalog, or a serials module.  It's a small company
with great customer service.  Be sure to tell them you are a medical
library and they can set up your software to use MeSH and NLM
classification (instead of the default LC/Dewey).  Your annual
maintenance fee is about $100.
31. We use PMB ILS since 2006 (*). It is an open source software,
available for free, which is developed by a French company (their
website will be renewed in a near future, the English version will be
back http://www.pmbservices.fr/nouveau_site/telecharger_inter.html).
Aside the usual functionalities (including Z39.50 search and server),
it is also our institutional repository
(http://roar.eprints.org/view/software/pmb.html).  It's a full web
application (PHP MySQL) available in several languages.  You can check
our OPAC  (http://kce.docressources.info/opac/) or go through the list
of available OPACs available on the wiki
(http://www.sigb.net/wiki_new/wikka.php?wakka=SitesPMB). There is also
a bibliography on the Belgian User Group website
(http://www.pmb-bug.be/?q=biblio)
32. We use LibraryWorld and really love it.  I know people like
Cybertools, but LW is less than $400 per year and they host your data,
so you don't have to mess with IT.
33. I loved a lot of things about CyberTools and it is hard for me
with all of the wonderful service they provided me to criticize the
product, but the patron interface was a big barrier for us when we
used it.  For example, most patrons these days have never used a card
catalog, so to have the bib record displayed in the format of a card
from a card catalog made absolutely no sense to them and they found it
cluttered and were unimpressed. Patrons do NOT think like librarians
they don't care about seeing the same stuff we do and they certainly
don't understand the structure of a card from card catalog nor find it
useful.  It was difficult for me to get them to want to search it
because of the patron interface. Overall looks and presentation are
important too, it is not just window dressing.
34. I have used Library World for 4 years in my previous job and put
my current library on a trial. I paid $390 a year before.  It is web
based and easy to use and user friendly. You can import MARC and edit
as you wish and search with several options (keyword, all word, Call
number...) We do not use barcode or automate patron's record and we
only use cataloging and search modules.  I think it would be
affordable and useful for you too.
35. Just one more person to chime in.  Never used CyberTools.  But I
used LibraryWorld to set up a small library for a medical nonprofit 2
years ago and LibraryWorld was wonderful to work with, really liked
the product, it could do everything I wanted including handling
circulation, full MARC, etc.  I used EOS for almost 20 years and they
are a great product if you can afford it (negotiate very hard with
them, nothing is written in stone).  It will be more than LibraryWorld
or CyberTools but have more bells and whistles and a

--
Mary Spalding, MA, MLIS
Program Coordinator

"The health of the people is really the foundation upon which all
their happiness and all their powers as a state depend."  --Benjamin
Disraeli

"We are drowning in information, but we are starving for knowledge." J. Naisbett

Confidentiality Notice:  The information contained in this electronic
message is confidential and intended to be for the addressee only; if
you are not the intended recipient, please delete the message and
contact the sender.

in America by U.S.News & World Report (2010).
locations.