]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

SCHOOL-IT Home

SCHOOL-IT  July 2011

SCHOOL-IT July 2011

Re: PowerSchool 6.2 to PowerSchool 7 - if you use powerschool please read this

Bob Wickberg <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 19 Jul 2011 09:29:02 -0400

Microsoft's licensing FAQs state that you don't need the connector if (a)
you use the web server edition, which most web sites probably would, but
Pearson doesn't want us to for this, or (b) if everyone who uses the site
does so anonymously.  It's quite clear that they demand you get the
connector, or CALs, if the users of the web site authenticate to the site
in any fashion, not just if  they're known to Active Directory.  The good
news is Dell/ASAP was way off on the price the first time, it turned out
to be 78.05 for the server license, and 361.74 for the connector license.
For the in-house use of the site, I have CALs through our school
agreement, they're very cheap that way, I think I'm only paying $100
annually or so for the whole school.

A word on Dell/ASAP, to those who've found Dell non-responsive lately - I
found Nora DeAvila, who's the rep now, to be lousy at returning e-mails,
but she seems to always answer her phone, and if you call and bug her,
she'll then respond to the e-mails.  224-543-5324.

Bob Wickberg
Technology Coordinator
802-451-3418