FW: promotion

Sarah Goff <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 22 Jul 2011 13:29:22 -0500

Many thanks to everyone who responded to my inquiry.  Below you will
find a summary of responses. Attached you will find an example of a
business card-sized promotion piece.

Sarah Goff
Great River Medical Center
Promoting the library has been one of my biggest goals since I started
here. I send out a bimonthly library newsletter via email (we use
constant contact to give it eye candy). I also started a bi-monthly book
club (we provide breakfast, and give CME/CEU credit). I try to bring in
our vendors a few times a year so that they can go around to the nursing
units and physician lounges to present their products to them. I am on
the agenda for nursing, student, resident and physician orientations. I
host a library open house and technology petting zoo each year during
which all of our vendors as well as area vendors set up booths and
present their products. I plan to begin a series of bimonthly webinars
and lunch & learns on library services. I enjoy this part of my job
because it's a chance to be creative and to work with people, but it
does take a lot of effort to keep putting the library's name out there!

I request an update on all of the new docs though our medical staff
office. At first they thought this might compromise privacy, but once I
explained how the library could be a benefit to the incoming physicians,
they agreed. So now, I get a monthly update with emaill address, and
then send a welcome letter (as an email in the body - Not as an
attachment) describing our services. It's signed by all of the library
staff. In return we get many positive responses.

Sample letter to new physicians

Hello,
As a member of the P/SL team, the staff at "title" would like to welcome
you.

We understand how hectic your schedule will be in the next few weeks
getting situated in your new surroundings. We can help.

Our services include research requests. We have three librarians on
staff who will aid in finding answers to your burning clinical
questions. By emailing a question or article request to our
[log in to unmask] , any one of us can pick up your question and
deliver articles/abstracts seamlessly. There are also thousands of
journals articles available online or in print, and if we do not have an
item in our collection, our library coordinator will borrow it from a
loaning library.

If you're in need of a quiet place to think, there are multiple study
areas and computer terminals available for you to use.  Please stop in
and meet us. Our entrance, from Visionary Parkway north of 19th, is just
west of the main hospital entrance.

There are additional office type services available as well. We can
assist with power point presentations, scanning documents, and even
directions. For a small annual fee our online collection can be
delivered to your personal computer 24/7.

Here is how you can contact us:

Operating hours are Monday - Friday 8:00 to 4:00,

Telephone:
Facsimile:
We here to support your efforts in quality patient care.

Welcome.
One of the things I do to promote any particular service is to actually
spend some time in the physicians' lounge. The physicians that know me
usually stop to talk and the ones that don't tend to listen in on the
conversation.  When we decided to hype DynaMed, I had the rep come in
and sit in there with me. He would stop physicians as they walked in and
ask if they had a minute to see the database. I was surprised at how
well this worked.  Just saying that one word "minute" encouraged them to
stop and listen.

We also post messages on the bulletin board in the physicians' lounge
and put notes and messages in their mailboxes.

We also submit articles to the newsletter the physicians receive.
Please look at the Library Marketing SIG's web page for some ideas.
http://www.library-marketing-sig.mlanet.org/

Also, any tips from other contributors would be welcomed for the SIG's
page!
Not strictly promotion, but one thing I started in my last job, and I'm
doing it here too, was to forward articles that I thought would be of
interest to the appropriate people, not just docs. I subscribe to
MedPageToday which sends me a daily email of breaking medical news
including meetings recaps. I forwarded 3 article links just this
morning. Part of my reasoning was to get information to docs that could
influence patient care before they might be aware of it and partly to
let them know I was there. Sometimes it helped set up a dialogue which
was a great opportunity to give the elevator speech. For what it's worth
(a lot in this case) one article I sent helped win a 5-year 4.3 million
dollar grant. So you never know!
This is not time-efficient, but the best method I've found so far is to
provide really good and really fast service to any physician I know to
be talkative. Many of the dept heads here are not that good at spreading
the word. I have stumbled across a few non-dept. heads who promote the
library by mentioning to others that I was able to supply needed
information in the nick of time.

Also, we have a few nurse leaders who work closely with certain doctors
in improving service on their unit. I work closely -- and fast -- with
those nurses. (I actually do this for everyone; it's just that I
consciously work at building relationships with the people I know to be
natural promoters.)

I probably should be publishing "ads" in the newsletters etc. But time
is limited, and people here don't seem to read the newsletters. The
ideal approach in my situation would be (I suspect) to do what I have
been doing ALONG WITH continual reminders in newsletters, fliers,
posters, etc. I only have time for one and not both, so I'm going for
word of mouth.

I provide a newsletter that is mailed to physicians with a monthly
packet of materials they receive from the hospital (I would like to do
an email version in the future).  The Medical Staff office has
physicians' office fax numbers and will send a "fax blast" to highlight
a new resource or a vendor demo.  There is also a bulletin board in the
doctor's lounge and outside the library for postings.  I also utilize
the coordinators' in each service specialty, who will forward email
announcements to their specialty, and provide me with feedback.

Word of mouth has always been our best marketing tool.  Just a few of
our 'power users' have helped us spread the word to their colleagues.
We have had limited success with giving short presentations at
department meetings, and no real success with creating information
packets that we send to the new physicians.

We have set up booths outside of big meetings (there is a free lunch
every Wednesday that attracts around 100 physicians/week), usually just
to promote one thing- like UpToDate being available via their cell
phone.  Once we pull them in with that, we'll give them the elevator
speech about the library's services.

The medical staff affairs office is creating a new orientation process
for physicians, and the library is going to be included.  We're hopeful
that this will help spread the word.
Our hospital recently began an onboarding program for new physicians,
and I was invited to participate.  I only have about 10 minutes on the
agenda, but at least it gets me in front of the new physicians.  I
highlight our key resources for physicians, and make sure they know how
to find us both physically and on our website.

I have also been focusing on outreach and have made some strides in
getting on the agenda for physician meetings to let them know what we
can do for them.  We now have many hospital owned practices, so it's a
little easier to do!