]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

MEDLIB-L Home

MEDLIB-L  July 2011, Week 4

MEDLIB-L July 2011, Week 4

Summary of responses to query about Hindawi Publishing

Hope Leman <[log in to unmask]>

Hope Leman <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 26 Jul 2011 18:02:55 -0700

Hi, all. Thank you so much for the responses to my question, “Could you please tell me what your opinion is of the reputation among researchers and librarians of the Hindawi Publishing Corporation? Do you have qualms about its journals as venues for researchers to publish in or to cite papers of? Do you know much about and/or feel comfortable with its business model? Do you regard calls for papers for its journals as worthy of the attention of your patrons and equivalent to, say, those of Elsevier, Sage, Springer, etc.? Do you include citations for Hindawi publications in your search results? If not, why not?”

As you will see, its reputation varies. Interestingly, no one offered any comments on the other two publishers I asked about:

Inderscience

http://www.inderscience.com/index.php

and MDPI

http://www.mdpi.com/

I was curious about their respective reputations because I spend a lot of time in Google looking for calls for papers to list on the Calls for papers/publications section of ResearchRaven:

http://www.researchraven.com/calls-for-papers-publications.aspx

and almost invariably the first things that come up are items of Hindawi.  They seem to be absolute masters of search engine optimization.

Thank you all for your help.

Hope Leman, MLIS
Research Information Technologist
Center for Health Research and Quality
Samaritan Health Services
815 NW 9th Street
Corvallis, OR 97330
(541) 768-5712

Summary of Responses to Query About Hindawi Publishing

Immediately after seeing your email, I ran into this:
http://www.springer.com/?SGWID=0-0-1500-1260705-0&cm_mmc=AD-_-CFP-_-SPR14044_V1-_-0

Springer is taking on 4 OA journals from Hindawi.

My university has faculty that edit Hindawi Journals and others who are contributors.  The library also has an institutional membership with Hindawi so that our authors can publish free of charge.

Hindawi has long been known to be one of the more successful (and serious) open access publishers with an author-pay business model (just like Biomed Central or PLoS). Along the years, they have picked up a number of journals that had good reputations but had financial difficulties and have re-launched them, so to speak. This is a serious publisher.

From a library perspective, its open access policy should be welcomed.

Its journals vary in quality, just like the journals from the big commercial publishers. Some are indexed in WoS if I am not mistaken. Because the journals are in open acces, they are more accessible to a greater number of people and, therefore, they stand to be cited more.

I assume that its location in Egypt is not an issue. To me it is no more an issue than the other great publishing venture from emerging or developing nations, SciELO, in Latin America and beyond. Science is not published only in OECD countries and Elsevier or Springer, etc. have never been unambiguous guarantors of content quality. Hindawi editorial boards are from all over the place.

In short, Hindawi fully deserves participating in the great conversation of science worldwide.

Good question, about the reputation of OA publishers.  Although Hindawi endeavors to uphold quality (they still edit and reject; it's only the payment method that's different), I'm not sure if they've entered the exalted ranks of the traditional favorites--but that may be because they simply haven't been around as long as Elsevier, Wiley, or other grand old names.

My perspective is interesting, being at a second-tier university hoping to ascend in status.  People at top institutions can publish where they like, but at places like mine, people have to play the game, and the game still hasn't changed.  Yet a simple Google search for "XXX" and Hindawi shows a healthy dose of authors, ranging from graduate students to department chairpeople.

Looking forward very much to your summary, since it feeds into the job I'm trying to do here.

I would be interested in your responses. One of our researchers here was asked to be on the Board of one of its new journals and asked me similar questions. Here is the information I gave him back in March, with which you may already be familiar:

Here is what I've gleaned about Hindawi. I recommend you read the Dec 2010 InfoToday article linked to below. The part that concerns me the most is this:

"Hindawi continues to experiment with ways to better serve its customer, the author. "One important factor for authors is the speed of the peer-review process, and we are taking active steps to try to reduce the delays as much as possible," says Peters, most recently with the introduction of the International Scholarly Research Network (ISRN.) It's a series of peer-reviewed, OA journals designed to provide a fast peer-review process for all submitted manuscripts; the goal is to win¬ now the average review time down to 3 or 4 weeks.
Under the ISRN model, which Hindawi first started to use only a few months ago, a topic-specific editorial board of 100-300 members is convened; members must commit to performing the initial review of a submission within 2 weeks of receipt. Each new submission is reviewed separately by five editors who each provide their initial feedback. After reviewing these reports, editors decide whether to accept the manuscript." (InfoToday article)"
InfoToday Dec 2010 EDITORIAL
Hindawi Publishing: A Working OA Model
by Nancy Davis Kho
http://www.infotoday.com/it/dec10/Kho.shtml

Hindawi Publishing Corporation
http://www.hindawi.com/

.       Founded in 1997 in Cairo
.       currently employs more than 300 employees
.       Publishes 200+ open access, peer-reviewed journals. Open-access is financed by author fees i.e. non-subscription based. The author fee currently "tops out at $1,500"
.       recently partnered with Sage, a well-established e-journal publisher

Postal Address:
Hindawi Publishing Corporation
Cairo Free Zone
Road 5, Block E
Nasr City, Cairo 11816
Egypt
Hindawi Publishing Corporation
410 Park Avenue
15th Floor, #287 pmb
New York, NY 10022
USA

ISRN Journals:
"International Scholarly Research Network (ISRN), a series of peer-reviewed, open access journals that are designed to provide a fast peer review process for all submitted manuscripts. Every ISRN journal is collaboratively run by a relatively large, international Editorial Board of experts in the subject area of the journal."

CZ Note: These journals have all been recently been launched and some have no published articles yet, some do have a few (e.g. 1-27 articles) from 2011. They have not been included in major indexes e.g. Medline, Web of Science yet.
ISRN Titles:
ISRN Allergy
ISRN Astronomy and Astrophysics
ISRN Cardiology
ISRN Civil Engineering
ISRN Communications and Networking
ISRN Dentistry
ISRN Dermatology
ISRN Ecology
ISRN Endocrinology
ISRN Gastroenterology
ISRN Hematology
ISRN Mathematical Analysis
ISRN Mechanical Engineering
ISRN Nanotechnology
ISRN Neurology
ISRN Nursing
ISRN Obstetrics and Gynecology
ISRN Oncology
ISRN Organic Chemistry
ISRN Pediatrics
ISRN Pharmacology
ISRN Pulmonology
ISRN Rheumatology
ISRN Signal Processing
ISRN Surgery
ISRN Urology
ISRN Veterinary Science
ISRN Zoology

I had sent your question to the faculty member who was writing the paper.
Here, in part, is her response.....
"....I dropped my willingness to write for that journal; I didn't feel comfortable with their responses... think they were casting a wide net without much targeting.   When I first received the email, I thought it was for an invited paper,...  But I concluded that was not the case."

Many of the more established Hindawi journals are indexed and have Web of Science Journal Citation impact factors. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hindawi_Publishing_Corporation

Thanks for asking these questions. One of our faculty is writing or has written something for one of the Hindawi journals. The publisher solicted her article---I suppose because she is considered a leader in nursing. She asked my opinion before she did so but I could not find out as much as I would have liked. As I recall, I told her that I was skeptical so I will be most interested in your summary for the group.

We invited Paul Peters of Hindawi to speak as part of the SPARC-ACRL forum in 2007. You can view his slides and listen to his remarks at http://www.arl.org/sparc/meetings/ala07/index.shtml You'll also see a link there to listen to an in depth interview with him.

I think the impact of articles published in any of the OA venues depend on the subject area.  As more major research institutions enact OA publishing mandates,   I think the OA journals and their publishers will increase in visibility. I personally don't search Hindawi separately, but its collection is being integrated into our online catalog and therefore will be included in searches.   If they are included in PubMed, and a number are, they are automatically included.   We don't belong because the requests to publish in Hindawi journals has not reached the point where it's cost effective.   I think a couple of these publishers have been discussed on this list in the past, so you may also want to check the archives.

We actually have a OA publishing fund for folks that do not have grant funding to pay the charges to publish in OA journals, but we are a large state university with over 50,000 students.  You may also want to look at DOAJ.org.  I remember hearing  a publisher was recently purged from their list of titles because their journals did not meet DOAJ's standards.

message.