HTML Thank You

Jane Castrignano <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 27 Jul 2011 19:34:40 -0400

Hello Wonderful List,

Thank you all for your replies, I have summarized them below.  It seems
as though man/woman cannot live by HTML alone; and in that one little
nugget of information I have learned a lot.  W3Schools.com seems to be
the most recommended free source; whilst Dreamweaver received respect as
the main proprietary offering.

The recommendations were many and varied and I did not put names to
them... but you know who you are... Thanks again you guys are great.

1.

My Research Department website is hosted by 1&1 and they have a great
web-builder application including templates. It's as easy as using Word.

2.

The book, Sam's Teach Yourself HTML and XHTML in 24 Hours, by Dick
Oliver, was recommended to me.  It consists of 24 1-hour lessons.  The
nice thing about it you can easily find a lesson that addresses a
specific task or problem you may have.  My copy is 10 years old, but
there are newer versions and variations on Amazon.

3.

This website is for the World Wide Web Consortium's (WC3) free tutorials
for all things HTML. It contains explanations, diagrams, and do it
yourself boxes to try out what you're learning. When I was in library
school, this is what we used to learn HTML for a project to create our
own website from scratch. This website also contains a "validator" which
checks your HTML code to make sure it is done correctly.

http://www.w3schools.com/

4.

Here are two free HTML text editors:

Arachnophilia by Paul Lutus, which I've used for years:

   http://www.arachnoid.com/arachnophilia/index.php
<http://www.arachnoid.com/arachnophilia/index.php>

Amaya by W3C, which I used in a web design class I took last year:

   http://www.w3.org/Amaya/ <http://www.w3.org/Amaya/>

5.

I agree with the Web tutorials, and recommend the shareware NoteTab Pro
if you want to use an HTML editor (for Windows).

6.

I like the Visual QuickStart series (books)
http://www.amazon.com/HTML5-Visual-QuickStart-Guide-7th/dp/0321719611 ;
they lay out information very clearly.

Also, w3schools.com are good and free online:
http://www.w3schools.com/default.asp .

About Dreamweaver: I use it and like it, but it is pricey.  Here is a
list of free WSYIWIG editors for Windows
http://webdesign.about.com/od/htmleditors/tp/aatpfreewyswin.htm . I do
not know how good they are, but might be worth a look.

7.

I would use the tutorials with w3 schools.  http://www.w3schools.com/
They are very useful.  I use them all of the time to refresh skills or
learn something new.  There are also free tools like the Firebug Add-on
for Firefox.
You might want to look at some other options like Drupal to use to make
the framework for your pages.  I don't use it but have heard good things

8.

I second the previous suggestion to check out W3 Schools, but I also
like using Tizag as well - http://www.tizag.com/htmlT/
<http://www.tizag.com/htmlT/> .

Sites aren't usually written in just HTML alone, so I would suggest at
least picking up some CSS while you're at it.  It's a much more elegant
way to format your pages, and provides a simple way to keep content and
formatting separate.  Look into it!

As far as an editor, I strongly advise against something proprietary as
Dreamweaver.  I am also not a fan of using a simple Text Editor, such as
Notepad, either.  I currently use Microsoft Visual Web Developer 2010
Express Edition (
http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/en-us/products/2010-editions/visua
l-web-developer-express
<http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/en-us/products/2010-editions/visu
al-web-developer-express> ).

 The 'Express Edition' is free, and I've found that using an IDE for
development provides you with nice tools that will help visualize what
you're doing.  Besides, as you become more comfortable with your
coding/development, you can create templates for pages you create,
cutting down on typing time.  I use this product because I'm employed as
a .NET developer, but I've also used it to develop other open-source
language applications as well - there are other great ones out there, I
just find myself coming back to this one most often (when I'm coding on
a PC - if you're coding on a Mac, I like Apple's XCode best.

9.

This site's tutorials used to be good:
http://www.webmonkey.com/tutorials/
<http://www.webmonkey.com/tutorials/>  .  It's been a long time since
I've looked at it though.

10.

There is a ton of free stuff online and most is good.

http://w3schools.com/html/ <http://w3schools.com/html/>

http://www.html.net/ <http://www.html.net/>

http://www.w3.org/ <http://www.w3.org/>

http://htmldog.com/guides/htmlbeginner/
<http://htmldog.com/guides/htmlbeginner/>

Also, I can recommend the O'Reilly Book series. These are wonderful for
learning HTML, CSS and web technologies. I find that Amazon usually has
the best prices.

http://oreilly.com/ <http://oreilly.com/>

11.

I learned through the W3 Schools online tutorials, and have always found
them to be really useful: http://w3schools.com/html/default.asp
<http://w3schools.com/html/default.asp>

12.

Learning HTML is not that difficult, and is actually kind of fun once
you've got the basics down.  I highly recommend the Google Code
University tutorials for getting started - if you can access Youtube
from work, that is.  The main point to grasp from the Google tutorials
is that HTML alone doesn't get you very far these days- HTML is used to
create and structure the content for your page, but CSS handles the
layout, colors, fonts, and design.

HTML, CSS, and Javascript from the ground up:
http://code.google.com/edu/submissions/html-css-javascript/
<http://code.google.com/edu/submissions/html-css-javascript/>

----

Lifehacker Night School has another good tutorial that's less dependent
on Youtube (although there is a Youtube component).

Start with this one:
http://lifehacker.com/5788442/how-to-make-a-web-site-part-i-understandin
g-and-writing-html
<http://lifehacker.com/5788442/how-to-make-a-web-site-part-i-understandi
ng-and-writing-html>

Once you have the very basics of HTML down, you can move on to styling
your page with CSS:
http://lifehacker.com/5789294/how-to-make-a-web-site-part-ii-styling-and
-css?tag=night-school
<http://lifehacker.com/5789294/how-to-make-a-web-site-part-ii-styling-an
d-css?tag=night-school>

----

W3 has a Youtube-free tutorial for learning CSS and other web
development tools. http://www.w3.org/Style/Examples/011/firstcss
<http://www.w3.org/Style/Examples/011/firstcss>

13.

The best open source program is Kompozer, although you can use Word Pad,
too. In Kompozer you can preview the webpage you create. W3C (
www.w3.org) has tons of useful information. If you want your HTML
checked to see if it's done correctly you can use their validator (
http://validator.w3.org/). They have information on CSS as well when you
want to start using style sheets. I love this kind of stuff, so please
e-mail me if you have any questions at all. Also see if your library has
any books you can check out. This one is really good -
http://www.amazon.com/Teach-Yourself-VISUALLY-HTML-Tech/dp/0764579843/re
f=dp_ob_title_bk

14.

some editing programs they color the different types of tags so they're
a little easier to identify. Making your HTML neat also helps to find
errors and correct them. Before posting a page use the validator link I
sent and it will tell you if something is wrong. Again, if you have any
questions don't hesitate to e-mail me.

If you want to see examples of the colored tags or neat HTML view the
code for webpage. Open a website in Internet Explorer, go to view on the
top menu, then click on source. Although I love Google (
http://www.google.com/) they do not have neat HTML, which you can see in
their code. The W3C (http://www.w3schools.com/) code is much neater and
easier to read.

15.

I use Dreamweaver now but when I took Advanced Web Design in my MLS
program our instructor made us use a text editor and now I'm glad he
did. When Dreamweaver or SharePoint (our intranet) won't do what I want
it to I go into the code and make it by doing my own HTML. Good to know
the basics!

16.

We used this tutorial in school and I thought it was great:
http://www.mcli.dist.maricopa.edu/tut/lessons.html
<http://www.mcli.dist.maricopa.edu/tut/lessons.html>

The W3 Schools are great, too, and go beyond HTML:
http://www.w3schools.com/ <http://www.w3schools.com/>

17.

I run MLS courses in web design, see

http://wotan.liu.edu/home/krichel/courses/lis650.html
<http://wotan.liu.edu/home/krichel/courses/lis650.html>

  My lecture material and examples are freely available.

> our instructor made us use a text editor

  Requiring students to use a certain tool over another is not my

  policy. I tell students to use whatever they want but the result has

  to be XHTML 1.0 strict. That implies the use of CSS as a styling

  language. I spend more time on CSS than on HTML. For students on

  Microsoft computers I mention HTML-Kit.

http://www.chami.com/Html-kit/ <http://www.chami.com/Html-kit/>

18.

If you're looking for a print resource, I used the Teach Yourself
Visually HTML for a web design class and I still use it as an HTML
refresher. Mine is the 2nd edition, 2005 - I'm sure there's been another
printed since then.

19.

A library is not a luxury but one of the necessities of life.
- Henry Ward BEECHER, Social Reformer and Abolitionist.

Jane Castrignano, MLS.

Medical Reference Librarian,

St John's Riverside Hospital,

967 North Broadway,