]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

SCHOOL-IT Home

SCHOOL-IT  August 2011

SCHOOL-IT August 2011

Re: Setting up a transparent proxy to use with Dans

"Craig Lyndes @ wcvt.com" <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 4 Aug 2011 16:03:27 -0400

Paul,

I'm puzzled.  I've been using the free version at 2 schools for a while
now.  Other than having more than 50 white/black list URLs and keeping the
statistics for more than 2 weeks, I didn't know there was any difference
between the enterprise and the free.

I find that having the adults and students have to use the same filters
makes everyone more aware of the decisions to block and what people are
being kept away from. Eat your own dog food.

OpenDNS is effective as a safety net to keep kids from accidentally
stumbling on inappropriate web sites.

Craig Lyndes

> I talked with OpenDNS today and got a guestimate of what it would cost
to implement it in our district.

> "Thanks for the time just now.  Below is our cost for 1 school and for 7.
>  In addition to the annual prices below – we do offer 10% off on 2 year
> term
> and 20% off on a 3 year.  Also a demo link for you to watch:
> http://www.opendns.com/support/videos/enterprise
>
> *1 School:  $2500/year*
> *7 Schools:  $4300/year*"
>
> Bjorn is right, one of the key problems (for me) would be reporting.  I
need
> the ability to follow a trail of destruction.
>
> Sounds like they offer it free for home users, but it had a limitation
on the number daily dns queriers that could take place.

> Paul Wood
> P. 802-382-1720
> Systems Administrator, ACSU
>
> ♻ Please consider the environment before printing this email. ♻
WARNING: This message may contain information that is confidential
and/or protected under the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act or
other lawfully recognized privilege. If you receive this message in
error or through inappropriate means, please reply to this message to
notify the Sender that the message was received by you in error, and
then permanently delete this message from all storage media, without
forwarding or retaining
> a copy.
>

> On Thu, Aug 4, 2011 at 9:05 AM, Bjorn Behrendt
> <[log in to unmask]>wrote:
>
>> Opendns is free and exreamly easy to set up because it is a cloud based
solution.  Basically you point your external DNS forwarders to opendns
instead of comcast (no servers needed).  Every device then gets
filtered.
>> The downfall is that being an external it has no way to provide
reporting at
>> the computer level or set up different policies for teachers and students.
>> They have a paid version that might do this but I never looked into it.
>>
>> At MSJ we have lightspeedsystems because it does both antivirus and
contentfiltering and soon it will be my firwall/router.

>> Even with lightspeedsystems I do have open DNS also running but it is only
>> set up to block the really bad stuff.
>>
>> Sue if you need help let me know.  (802) 770-0003
>>
>> Bjorn Behrendt (from Android)
>> On Aug 4, 2011 8:54 AM, "Paul Wood" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>> > Are you using it as a filter? I don't know, I haven't used this
method before.

>> > I assume you're talking about (http://www.opendns.com/school). Ideally
>> this
>> > would provide the best method, because you wouldn't then need to proxy
>> SSL.
>> >
>> > If you do travel down this road, I'd like to know if it worked well.
>> >
>> > I don't remember if it was this listserv, but I recall seeing a
recent discussion on OpenDNS being used as a filter.

>> > “He who breaks a thing to find out what it is, has left the path of
>> wisdom.”
>> >

>> > Paul Wood
>> > P. 802-382-1720
>> > Systems Administrator, ACSU
>> >
>> > ♻ Please consider the environment before printing this email. ♻
WARNING: This message may contain information that is confidential
>> and/or
>> > protected under the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act or other
lawfully recognized privilege. If you receive this message in error
or through inappropriate means, please reply to this message to
notify
>> the
>> > Sender that the message was received by you in error, and then
>> permanently
>> retaining
>> > a copy.

>> option?

will actually be two ssl sessions going on. One between the proxy
>> server

>> you

WARNING: This message may contain information that is confidential
>> and/or
other lawfully recognized privilege. If you receive this message in
error
>> or
>> the
>> permanently
>> retaining

>> has
>> Port
>> 80
>> Not sure
>> dropped. I
>> act
>> as a
>> reasonably
>> proceed?

expensive solutions, but this is what we have for now. Hoping for
a sweet workaround...