]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

SKIVT-L Home

SKIVT-L  August 2011, Week 3

SKIVT-L August 2011, Week 3

Adk. High Peaks fun, Part 1: Colvin & Blake (with bird notes)

David Guertin <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 21 Aug 2011 22:56:49 -0400

I spent the past two weeks over in the Adirondacks with my family, and
during that time we took four trips to the High Peaks. Here's the first.

If you just want pictures instead of a bunch of text, here's your link:
http://www.daveguertin.net/gallery2/v/Adirondacks/colvin-blake-2011-08-09/

I didn't set out to climb all the 4000-foot peaks in the Adirondacks.
Way back in 1977 when I climbed Dix with a bunch of college friends, I
was content just to spend time in the mountains without checking them
all off the list. Back then I climbed about 8-10 of them before moving
away after college. But after moving back to the area and again taking
to the High Peaks, I eventually found that I had climbed more than half
of the 46. At that point I decided might as well make it a goal, and for
the past few years I've enjoyed pursuing that goal, usually in the
company of my two youngest sons.

All of which brings us to this report, and my trip to Blake (peak #35
for me) and Colvin (which I had already visited back in my college
days). This was a solo trip for me, since both of my sons were otherwise
occupied with music activities. I believe that it's possible to find
something good about almost any peak, but I might be convinced to make
an exception for Blake. This was my first ascent of this 43rd highest of
the 46ers, and try as I might, I can't really think of any compelling
draws luring me back again for a second ascent. It's a lot of work to
get to, the trail is steep, and when you get there, you're rewarded with
a high spot in the forest and a view of tree trunks. If I had bothered
to read the trail guide more closely ahead of time I would have learned
of an overlook about 50 yards past the summit, but as it was, I just
admired the tree trunks. On the other hand, I did have a nice
conversation on top with three gentlemen, so that was kind of nice. They
had arrived via the Carry Trail, which they reached courtesy of their
cousin's Saint Lawrence skiff up Lower Ausable Lake, an option only
available to Ausable Club members and their guests. They offered me a
ride back in the boat, but I politely and stupidly declined. If they had
asked me a second time I think I would have changed my mind.

Also, to reach Blake I did climb Colvin twice (once each direction), and
Colvin has a beautiful view of the Great Range. This was my second (or
second and third if you count each climb separately) visit to Colvin,
and unlike Blake I will certainly visit again.

I reached the ridge via the Gill Brook Trail from the Lake Road, and
like many of the low elevation trails around the Adirondack Mountain
Reserve, it is a gorgeous hike. Gill Brook is a lovely stream, full of
waterfalls and cascades over white anorthosite. Every time I visit the
Ausable Club trailhead I think it is my favorite approach to the High
Peaks. The trails are mostly little-traveled, in good shape, and scenic,
and it's easy to find solitude there. It's pretty much the antithesis of
the swarm of activity around the Heart Lake/Marcy Dam/Lake Colden
corridor. And even though hikers can no longer ride the green bus up and
down the Lake Road, after a long day of hiking it's comforting to think
of the last 3.5 miles being an easy, fast stroll along a scenic, mostly
deserted road.

About two miles up the road is a pool in Gill Brook formed by a small
dam, from which the Ausable Club gets its water. It's stocked with a
couple dozen large (12-15") brook trout, and I always like to stop and
watch the trout swimming around in the pool. Today on the hike up it was
lunchtime -- there was a hatch of insects coming off, and all those
trout were slashing the surface in a feeding frenzy. The fly-fisherman
in me went a little giddy, but alas, even if I had my fishing gear with
me, fishing is prohibited in the AMR. It was fun to watch, though.

On the descent I decided to take a side trip to Fish Hawk Cliffs and
Indian Head, overlooking Lower Ausable Lake. They are not high compared
to the summits, but offer one of the most spectacular views in the
Adirondacks. On Indian Head I was rewarded with hearing a screeching
raptor directly over my head, and looked up to see it was a peregrine
falcon. He soared over toward the boat house at the head of the lake,
then returned directly overhead, and finally disappeared the opposite
direction over toward the slopes of Colvin, when he gave a few more
shrieks and was gone. I've seen peregrines a few times before, but never
like this. This was one of my coolest bird sightings ever. A few minutes
later a couple of loons started wailing on the lake, 750 feet directly
below my feet. Continuing the bird theme, about 10 minutes down the
trail I heard, and then finally saw a boreal chickadee. Surprisingly,
for all the time I've spent in their boreal habitat and heard them
calling, this was the first time I've actually ever seen one. (The
following week at Calamity Pond I would be greeted by a whole flock of
them offering me close-up views of their brown caps.)  Then, while I was
still standing there looking at the chickadee, a black-throated blue
warbler came over close to check me out. They're pretty common, but so
cool-looking that having one show up so close is noteworthy (Google them
if you don't have a field guide). And if that wasn't enough, I saw not
one but two winter wrens on the hike. Their melodious song is a common
sound in the Adirondack woods, but you almost never see them even once,
let alone twice. Both of them flew down to the trail, saw me, and
immediately disappeared again.

Come to think of it, for a peak that ended up being a bit "meh", it was
a great day in the mountains anyway. Isn't that how it should be?

Dave G.