no Hudsonian Godwit mid-morning

Eric Hynes <[log in to unmask]>

Vermont Birds <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 3 Oct 2011 16:21:45 -0400

Hello Vermont Birders:

Thanks to Jim's great find and quick post, I had an excuse to postpone
responsibility and get out birding.  I was unsuccessful in relocating the
Hudsonian Godwit but had some great birding at Delta Park in Colchester.  I
bumped into Larry Haugh upon my arrival and we enjoyed a nice mixed flock of
migrants at the start of the raised boardwalk.  The later half of the walk
was spent with Jim Mead and we scoured the park in search of the HUGO.  I am
pretty confident it has moved on.

Delta Park was hopping with woodpeckers, particularly Yellow-bellied
Sapsuckers.  A Pileated Woodpecker made a fleeting appearance and a
Red-bellied Woodpecker was quite vocal near the boat launch.

Three distinct mixed flocks were foraging their way across the park.
Species in good numbers were Black-throated Green Warbler, Ruby-crowned
Kinglet, and White-throated Sparrow.  A crisp first fall Tennessee Warbler
was the standout among the eight warbler species.

Two American Pipits flew overhead along the lake shore.

I scoped the lake from the little platform on the bridge and turned up some
decent water birds.  Wigeon, scoters, and grebes were the highlights.  See
the list after the Delta Park tally.

Good birding,

Eric Hynes
South Burlington

Delta Park, Chittenden, US-VT
Oct 3, 2011 10:30 AM - 12:30 PM
Protocol: Traveling
0.8 mile(s)

39 species

Canada Goose  10     rough estimate, heard only overhead but not visible due
to a very low ceiling
Wood Duck  3
Common Merganser  2     flew overhead going upriver
Common Loon  3
Great Blue Heron  2
Great Egret  1
Green Heron  1     may have been two
Northern Harrier  1
Semipalmated Plover  1     flew over calling, heading north along lake shore
Belted Kingfisher  2
Red-bellied Woodpecker  1     heard calling from boat launch parking area
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker  8     conservative count, they were moving around
quite a bit down towards the bridge
Downy Woodpecker  6
Hairy Woodpecker  5
Pileated Woodpecker  1
Eastern Phoebe  3
Blue-headed Vireo  1
Red-eyed Vireo  10
Blue Jay  4
American Crow  1
Black-capped Chickadee  15
Tufted Titmouse  3
White-breasted Nuthatch  8
Brown Creeper  1
Golden-crowned Kinglet  4
Ruby-crowned Kinglet  20
American Robin  10
American Pipit  2     flew over calling, seen as well as silhouettes
overhead
Tennessee Warbler  1     a bright first fall bird with wing bars
Nashville Warbler  2
Northern Parula  1
Magnolia Warbler  9
Blackpoll Warbler  4
Black-throated Blue Warbler  5
Yellow-rumped Warbler  8
Black-throated Green Warbler  13
Song Sparrow  10
White-throated Sparrow  25     conservative count, many calling in the
underbrush
Northern Cardinal  1

This report was generated automatically by eBird v2 (http://ebird.org/vt)

Delta Park bridge platform, Chittenden, US-VT
Oct 3, 2011 11:15 AM - 11:30 AM
Protocol: Stationary
Comments:     Scoped the lake from the little platform jutting out from the
bridge
20 species (+2 other taxa)

Canada Goose  20     could have been many more; I was hearing skeins
overhead but they were hidden in the low ceiling
Wood Duck  1
American Wigeon  7
Greater/Lesser Scaup  5     too far out to be certain which species
White-winged Scoter  11
Black Scoter  2
Common Merganser  6
Common Loon  27     in several rafts out n the middle of the lake
Horned Grebe  2
Red-necked Grebe  4
Great Blue Heron  1
Great Egret  1
Bonaparte's Gull  1
Ring-billed Gull  4
Herring Gull  7
Great Black-backed Gull  10
gull sp.  30     large gulls loafing on the surface, too far out to ID
Belted Kingfisher  1
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker  1
Hairy Woodpecker  1
Blue Jay  1