LISTSERV Archives

USDEBATE Home

USDEBATE  November 2011

USDEBATE November 2011

Huber Debates 2011 info

Alfred C Snider <[log in to unmask]>

USA Debating in the WUDC Format <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 8 Nov 2011 14:57:18 -0500

Thanks to everyone who came. You were great. All 340 of you.

We had some problems. My apologies in that we did not buy enough snacks
or the right kinds, resulting in a snack shortage. As well, we needed to
get more snacks and coffee to Lafayette. We also needed a couple of
extra judges in the pool to relieve the pressure. Gordie and David
Register ended up judging more than they should and we thank them. There
was also trophy delivery delay that we will deal with by having trophy
construction at each wing of the tournament. We will be shipping out
those we have tomorrow. I promise to address these issues next year.

I want especially thank Gordie Miller, Ruth Zisman and David Register
for their hard work on the policy side, along with Stefanie Doucette and
Dan Neill. I also want to thank Mary Nugent and our seniors (John Sadek,
Jessica Bullock and Paul Gross) for their work on the worlds side. I
also want to thank the countless LDU students who worked so hard,
cleaned up, recycled cardboard, built trophies, lifted bales and pulled
barges.

I want to especially thank our alumni and former coaches whop were here
and were very helpful. These included, in no special order, Gordie
Miller, Sam Nelson, Jethro Hayman, Cleopatra Jones, Lisa Heller
Boragine, John Meany, Bill Shanahan, Alex Martel, Pierre Heidrich, Sam
Natale, Tom Dionesotes, Isaac Loeb, John Voight, Great Quintin, Ruth
Zisman and many more. Sometimes it is good to be an old guy because I
know all of these people and cherish their friendship.

Food prices from Sodexho took a jump this year, we are forced to use
them, and that may mean higher fees next year. The tournament this year
seems to have broken even, but those pesky custodial charges are not yet
logged.

The policy ballots can be downloaded at:
http://debate.uvm.edu/dcpdf/huber2011policyballots.pdf

Today I scanned all worlds judge feedback forms that had written
comments and sent them to the judges. The full judge feedback scores can
be found at:
http://debate.uvm.edu/dcpdf/huber11judgeevals.pdf

I do not have the cume sheets and when I get them from Gordie I will
upload them. The full results for policy are not yet up at debateresults.com

We would like to announce at this time that in 2012 our tournament will
take place again on the first weekend in November, 3-4 November 2012.
The tournament will not conflict with NCA.

Again, thank you for coming.

Tuna

--
Alfred C. Snider aka Tuna
Edwin Lawrence Professor of Forensics, University of Vermont