Re: HUMMINGBIRD BANDING & ID SUCCESS!

Jim Mead <[log in to unmask]>

Vermont Birds <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 22 Nov 2011 20:26:18 -0500

Hello all,

I decided to head down to E. Arlington once I knew that the hummer was
indeed a Rufous. I called Sharon Derosia and left her a message. She
returned my call very quickly, telling me her address and that it was OK to
go and see it. On the way down I stopped in Danby to pick up Nancy Brown.
We arrived at Sharon's house at 3:42 P.M. Sharon came out and greeted us
(very nice lady) and asked if we would sign our names in her book. We
obliged and then she showed us into her back yard. She told us that the
Rufous Hummingbird had been active all day, then Nancy and I found that it
still was very active. We heard it immediately upon entering the back yard.
We had our first look at it after a few minutes. It was flying all around,
each time making a two syllable call. We were able to get great looks at it
several times. What a treat!!!! Many thanks to (first and foremost)- Sharon
Derosia for calling Randy Schmidt, letting the bird get banded and ID'd,
and for letting us birders come and take a look at it. Randy Schmidt for
looking into the possibility that this bird might be a Rufous and Bob
Yunick for banding & ID-ing the bird.
When Nancy and I were done observing the bird, we said goodbye to Sharon
and just before we left, a Sharp-shinned Hawk flew into the back yard,
grabbed a Black-capped Chickadee, flew onto a tree branch with it and began
feeding on it. I have seen these attacks several times now, but it always
amazes me how swiftly they occur.

My complete list:

Sharp-shinned Hawk  1
Mourning Dove  5