Summary-Library Websites

"Ratti, Michael" <[log in to unmask]>

Ratti, Michael

Thu, 10 Nov 2011 16:15:43 +0000

Below is a summary of the responses of my question on Library Websites. It seems many people are in the same "boat" as me when it comes to having minor control over your site.

Thank you very much to everyone who responded.

Michael Ratti, MLS, AHIP
Director of Library Services
Margery H. Nelson Medical Library
St. Christopher's Hospital for Children
3601 A. Street
Philadelphia, PA 19134

Tel.215-427-5374
Fax 215-427-6872

Questions:

  1.  Does your library manage/administrator your library web site?

--Movable Type - I believe it's more akin to blogging software; we have no choice in this the entire hospital intranet is built on this.  It's hard for me to tell whether the software is limited, or restrictions come from Web Services.  Either way, we're not allowed to stray very far from certain stylistic mandates.

--we have our library website on the Intranet.

--The library manages our website although we are probably nearing the end of this type of arrangement because of our institution's design criteria, web content management stuff and other rules that make it just too cumbersome to deal with our staff's time and experience.

--I'm a solo librarian and yes, I created and maintain my library website.

--Our Communications department manages our Intranet site.
 using Dreamweaver.  Some of us who have demonstrated competencies in webpage development, etc are allowed to manage and update our own sites.  I create/edit my library pages using Frontpage and then upload them to our Intranet.

--Yes.  We asked to be trained by the IT person in charge of the intranet so we could 'own' our information.  She was relieved as it was one less thing for her to do!

-- The library has both an intranet site in-house use and an internet public webpage.  The I.S. Deptartment administers the intranet page, although I am able to make updates and changes to content.  The Marketing and Development office manages the internet website.  They update the page for me as needed, but I cannot do it myself.
-- I will be administering the LibGuides website myself.

2.        Do you use a WCMS (Web Content Management System) such as Dreamweaver or Drupal to create/manage your site? Which WCMS do you use? Likes? Dislikes?
--Yes, currently, although I believe they are looking at getting a replacement for Movable Type and getting it hosted outside.

--We used to use Dreamweaver (which we loved) now our institution forces us to use DotNetNuke which is open source and really a pain to deal with. Nowhere near as user friendly as Dreamweaver, but is way more user friendly than other content management systems they had tried in the past.

--we use microsoft webpage, no charge, it is not "pretty" but is very simple and fast to use

--Not really.  I went with an easy, free option - Weebly - it's a blogging website.  Previously, I used WordPress (another blogging website) but it never worked well with my computer or browser.

--Our hospital intranet uses software called Sitemaker.

-- The intranet is SharePoint and I am unsure about the external website.  SharePoint is easy to update but the formatting is very strict - at least the way it is set up here.  Currently I do not have the ability to add images or change the page set up.  I can only go in under headings and add or delete text.

-- I purchased LibGuides for a couple of reason.  Price - very reasonable.  It includes hosting on their site, a mobile app, and some other extras plus tech support.  For a small institution like mine, I thought it was the better option.  I really like the clean, crisp look.and think my users will too. It will be easy for them to use.

--Drupal. It has allowed us to do so many more things than Silk (the prior program) and so far, I like it very much.

  3.  Is your site hosted by your Information Services/Technology Department in-house?

--Not sure what you mean by where it is hosted.  It is hosted on the Department of Education's server which is one of MANY institutional servers for the hospital.

--although it is "done" by the IT dept, I submit it in a table format and it is mounted almost exactly the same way

-- I. S. hosts the intranet and I believe that they host the internet site but am unsure.

-- We have several hundred hits per month on the library's intranet page.  Staff uses it and find it useful - although they and I get tired of scrolling.  I do not know if there is a way to track the hits on the internet page as it is part of the larger hospital site.

 --About 6 people responded with just a yes.

--N/A.  I will say, the library website link is posted on our hospital's Intranet page for easy access.

--Our intranet site is hosted in house by Information Services.

-- Yes.  The IS team hosts and is ultimately responsible for the hospital's intranet content.

Its being hosted by LibGuides on their server. My IT will be helping me somewhat but LibGuides will help the rest.  I hope so because I am not that techy.  :)  I will be administering the website myself.

4.  If not hosted by your IS team, do you pay for outside hosting from your library budget?

 -- Its being hosted by LibGuides on their server.

 5.  Do you find patrons use your web site and provide any feedback on it usefulness?

--Hard to answer this as we don't have statistics.  However, to get to the thousands of online resources we have, one must usually go through our site.

--Patrons user our website a lot, and comment when it could be better or when we change things.  We use Google Analytics to look at our usage stats to see how much certain pages are used.

--Patrons user our website a lot, and comment when it could be better or when we change things.  We use Google Analytics to look at our usage stats to see how much certain pages are used.

--all of our patrons know about the page, attached to our Intranet, and use it.

--I have steady website traffic, especially considering that we're a small community hospital.  I rarely hear feedback.

--Staff do use my library page however not as much as I'd like.  I think the reason for that is that they don't have time conduct their own research while they are working.

-- Our patrons seem to like the library's site- we have links to our catalog, electronic journals and databases.  The most frequent questions we receive are how to access the library from off campus as it is not a public site.  We have VPN access, so people are able to log in remotely. Hugely popular!!

--We do usability testing here but I don't know how much they listen to anyone. They seem to be intent on shaping our website from their own vision despite the negative comments we receive about how hard it is to find anything. Sigh.

 6. Any other info/opinions are welcomed.

--I have two sites on the hospital intranet. One is basic library data-links to our databases; etc. The other is a shared page on the hospital intranet. This I compose several bibliographies and there is a  links section to web based like CDC, FDA, etc. I also put "fun" folders or web links. I have a folder on "Day Trips" for our tri state area. I have a folder on favorite movies. I also have a Discussion section for Library announcements and Reader Discussion group etc.
It is maintain by me and the IT department. It is very visible. It has been used over 10,000 times in less than a year. It is one of the most popular intranet links (we do have SEVERAL).
Hope that helps and I would definitely create a Library page or Library Shared page.

--I'd love to have more freedom in what we do on our site.  I'm thinking of getting LibGuides, as so many other libraries are, and hope that will allow us to develop our site as we wish.

--If possible it might be worth paying for a part time IT person within your institution to do the web development and upkeep.  Perhaps share the person with another department that also needs web development services.

--A disadvantage to being part of an intranet is that the design is out of your control- anything you do has to fit in with the rest of the site.  Also, we have limited ability to take advantage of some of the cool link out tools as we are behind a firewall.  But, this comes at no cost to us, so that's good!

-- What patrons like best is the ability to search through a variety of resources at once.  My hope is to get this more streamlined in the future but budget is always an issue.

--  I also have used Moodle from the College of Nursing which is located across the driveway here.  Its nice but really does not offer everything that I wanted in a website - its more of a bulletin board.