]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

GEOCOSMO Home

GEOCOSMO  December 2011

GEOCOSMO December 2011

recruiting doctoral student - Chinese Rivers and sediments

Paul Bierman <[log in to unmask]>

In situ cosmogenic isotopes <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 8 Dec 2011 22:24:41 -0500

Hi everyone,

We are looking for a doctoral student to be part of a team working in China on problems of sediment sourcing and erosion.  Please forward this to any students you know who might be interested and qualified. The degree would be in Natural Resources and we are planning to take a student who can work independently and has field and lab experience.  In addition, the project will involve mentoring of undergraduates.  For those reasons, we are inclined to accept a student who has completed a Masters degree or was an older undergraduate or has had work experience.

All the best,

P.

We are recruiting a PhD student in Natural Rresources at the University of Vermont to be supervised by Paul Bierman (UVM) and Amanda Henck Schmidt (Oberlin College). The student will be working on a collaborative project with Bierman, Schmidt, colleagues at Sichuan University, undergraduate students from Oberlin College, and Dylan Rood at the University of Glasgow. The project is an NSF-funded project that investigates the long-term effects of land clearing and climate change on sediment supply to rivers using isotopic fingerprinting techniques.  It  and will involve two field seasons in western China.

The graduate student working on this project will primarily be responsible for the meteoric and in situ 10Be analyses; Oberlin College undergraduate will be responsible for analysis of the short-lived radionuclides. The PhD student will also be responsible for conducting land-use analysis and experimental design using GIS prior to each field seasons. Field work will take place during summer 2013 and summer 2014 and will include the PhD student, Schmidt, two Oberlin undergraduates, and a graduate student from Sichuan University. The first season will focus on extensive and detailed sample collection in a few watersheds for which we have long records of sediment yield. The second season will be a broader trip that visits the sites of all sediment gauging stations the Chinese operate in the region to collect samples.

In addition to spending two summers in the field in China, the PhD student will spend one semester in residence at Oberlin College mentoring undergraduate students, learning the short-lived radionuclide analysis techniques, and helping to teach classes. Therefore, we are interested in a student who is curious excited about working at a small liberal arts college and is excited about mentoring undergraduate students. The Rubenstein School of Natural Resources at the University of Vermont requires a one- month teaching practicum and it is possible that this practicum will be completed while the student is in residence at Oberlin.

We are particularly interested in students who are excited about international collaborations, undergraduate education, quantitative geomorphology using isotopic techniques, human-landscape interactions, and GIS/remote sensing.  Please contact Paul ([log in to unmask]) or Amanda ([log in to unmask]) if you are interested and we can provide you with more information.

Paul Bierman                       Professor
Past Chair, GSA QGG        [log in to unmask]
UVM Geology Dept.           Delehanty Hall
180 Colchester Avenue    Burlington, VT 05405
802-656-4411( v)               802-656-0045 (fax)

uvm.edu/~pbierman
uvm.edu/geomorph
uvm.edu/landscape
uvm.edu/cosmolab