Randolph Christmas Bird Count

Richard Enser <[log in to unmask]>

Vermont Birds <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 19 Dec 2011 19:30:28 -0800

Greetings All,

The 5th Randolph CBC was held Saturday (12/17), and much like our neighboring counts in Plainfield and Mad River the results proved quite interesting.  We set new records for number of species (42), including 6 new for the count (Canada Goose, Hooded Merganser, Wood Duck, Eastern Bluebird, Song Sparrow, and a count week Ring-billed Gull).  Also, a new record for number of individuals (3097, with one list still outstanding).  But, as has been found on other counts, numbers of typical feeder birds were markedly down.  Notable were the much reduced numbers of Downy Woodpecker, Blue Jay, Black-capped Chickadee, Tufted Titmouse, White-breasted Nuthatch and Northern Cardinal, all down more than 50% from last year, even with a record number of feeder watchers (14).  The average number of BC Chickadees recorded at feeders was 5.7 this year, compared to 10.9 last year.

Although the warm temps and lack of snow are likely responsible for the atypical results, I also wonder if more abundant natural food crops this year might be keeping some birds from seeking out alternate food sources at feeders.  (Wild Turkeys were also way off this year with only 7 reported - we have averaged over 100 in previous years).  On the other hand, goldfinches and especially juncos were above average.

Our record number of individuals was mostly due to the crow population which has chosen a highly conspicuous location for their winter roost, easily viewed from the Exit 4 Park and Ride lot on Route 89.

Preliminary results as follows:
Canada Goose (472, including a possible Richardson's)
Mallard (54)
Common Merganser (1)
Hooded Merganser (3)
WOOD DUCK (2)
Ruffed Grouse (7)
Wild Turkey (7)
Sharp-shinned Hawk (1)
Northern Goshawk (1)
Red-tailed Hawk (5)
Bald Eagle (1)
Ring-billed Gull (cw)
Rock Pigeon (84)
Mourning Dove (101)
Barred Owl (1)
Downy Woodpecker (18)
Hairy Woodpecker (17)
Red-bellied Woodpecker (3) - one as far north as Brookfield, 2 others in Bethel, all at feeders
Pileated Woodpecker (1)
Northern Shrike (1)
Blue Jay (50)
American Crow (853)