SCHOOL-IT January 2012

Re: Open wireless for Students

Bob Wickberg <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 3 Jan 2012 16:32:45 -0500

Little late to this discussion, but here's my two cents anyway.

Two issues I have with open wireless that haven't been mentioned thus far:

1) security.  When you lose authentication, you also lose encryption.
Traffic that's encrypted some other way such as SSL is secure, but if
you're running legacy apps that hit dbase files on a file server or
something, or use ftp, telnet, smtp, and a lot of other internet protocols
you're exposing the traffic to someone with a modicum of skill at packet
capture.

2) e-rate - in that paperwork we sign we promise not to use subsidised
services for non-educational purposes.  We used to have a couple of WAPs
that weren't encrypted, they were here before I got here and I didn't want
to rock the boat, but I heard rumors there were folks sitting outside the
building at night using them, so eventually I insisted they be shut down.
The wireless traffic, like everything else, is subject to content
filtering, of course, but content filters don't usually discourage the
truly determined very much.  I don't see how we can really keep  this
promise if we don't make some effort to keep folks who would use the
network for other purposes off it.

We use WPA enterprise encryption, authenticated via RADIUS against active
directory, so anyone with an account, which is all students and staff, can
attach any device they like to the network, as long as it supports the
protocol, which most devices do these days.  Encryption isn't about
keeping anyone in the school community off the network, it's about keeping
their traffic safe, and keeping the rest of the world off.  We have guest
passwords, too, that I change periodically, so  guests can get on just by
asking someone in the know, and I make sure  there are plenty of folks in
that category (which is why I have to change it now and then, but it's
worth it).

Bob Wickberg
Technology Coordinator
802-451-3418