]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

MEDLIB-L Home

MEDLIB-L  March 2012, Week 1

MEDLIB-L March 2012, Week 1

Librarian Author on a Systematic Review - summary

"Blake, Lindsay" <[log in to unmask]>

Blake, Lindsay

Wed, 7 Mar 2012 15:18:13 +0000

I received lots of great feedback, so thank you everyone.  My Nurse researcher was more than happy to include me as an author :)  Here is the requested summary minus identifying information except on those who okayed it.

Lindsay Blake, MLIS, AHIP
Clinical Librarian
Greenblatt Library
Georgia Health Sciences University
(706) 721-3443

I have been an author on lots - usually as the searcher, but for others I have done screening or other roles. However, our expertise is searching, and there is little glamour in screening or critical appraisal (IMHO). I have lead some reviews (information science-related topics). As the searcher, I review the review topic carefully with the investigators to be sure my search matches the inclusion/exclusion criteria for the review. I run the search, have it peer reviewed, make any changes necessary and adapt if for other databases, execute and download the searches into Reference Manager, resolve duplicates and write up the search methods and counts suitable for plugging directly into the methods section of the manuscript - this makes sure the reporting meets PRISMA requirements.  Often the search will need to be updated at the end of the review, if it takes more than 6 months.

Ideally, librarians should not just do the search and hand it off. It is better if they are involved all the way through, although that can take more time than we often have.  It happens that the question will morph - without the authors telling you or realizing that the search needs to be changed. As well, the reviewers should feed back to you the included studies when they have finished screening. This will let you test the effectiveness of your search and make any changes, updating the review team with any additional material found with the modified search (see Sampson M, McGowan J. Inquisitio validus Index Medicus: A simple method of validating MEDLINE systematic review searches. Research Synthesis Methods. 2011;2(2):103-109. Available at: http://doi.wiley.com/10.1002/jrsm.40.)

We published a paper a while ago that made a strong case for at least contributorship for the person doing the search - here is the conclusion: " Qualifications of the persons responsible for searching and statistical decision-making were poorly reported in Cochrane reviews, but more complete role reporting is associated with greater accessibility of searches and fewer substantive errors in search strategies."  the paper is Zhang L, M. Sampson, and J. McGowan. Reporting of the role of the expert searcher in Cochrane reviews. Evid Based Libr Info Pract 1 (4):3-16, 2006.

I have worked on systematic reviews and been listed as an author on some and not others.

For the ones on which I've been an author, I've developed the strategy, downloaded citations into EndNote, de-duped citations, sometimes organized them into folders depending on if the search had multiple subsets, wrote the methodology section of the paper and often advised on information management principles for the review process.  For the ones in which I haven't been an author, I pretty much do all the same things but I don't write the methodology section. I personally feel that the search is a valuable service we provide and I wouldn't want our researchers to try to submit articles without going through a thorough search process.  So I offer these services whether or not they give authorship.

I don't ask for authorship on papers, but if it's offered, I will accept _if_ they let me write the methodology. The author forms I've had to sign seemed very clear.  The form asked how I participate in the research (gathering data in the case of search strategy development & citation maintenance), did I participate in writing (yes, if I wrote the methodology section) and did I have final review of the article (yes, the corresponding author will send me any corrections/editorial suggestions from the peer review and editorial process) to ask for my feedback.

I have done systematic reviews and was included as an author.  I'm waiting for it to get published, and was just published on a not-quite-a-SR but with a good appendix with the search strategies.

I took the systematic review course in Pittsburgh, which I HIGHLY recommend if it looks like you could be called upon to do these searches.  Besides searching multiple databases, I wrote most of the methods section.

For the "semi-systematic" reviews I am part of -- a term I've been using to describe our published Putting Evidence Into Practice (PEP) reviews because they have a lot in common with full-fledged systematic reviews but we exclude grey literature and don't contact pharma companies to request unpublished clinical trial data and other things that are done for systematic reviews -- I have been included under "Librarian" underneath the Authors. One example is shown at http://www.ons.org/Research/PEP/radiodermatitis/authors

But to better answer your question of what constitutes being granted authorship status, I could share with you some things from systematic review workshops I have attended (citing Cochrane, AHRQ, and some other authorities). Or if I can use as an example a review article that isn't a systematic review, when I was given authorship status along with all of the healthcare professionals (mainly PhD nurses) of the following article, in addition to conducting the numerous literature searches, I also obtained copies of full articles when the other authors were unable to obtain from their own libraries (and kept track of everything in RefWorks), and perhaps most importantly, I wrote some of the Methods section and made editing suggestions throughout the entire article, in some cases rewriting the content myself. I hope this helps, Mark.

http://ons.metapress.com/content/85006364j2319323/fulltext.pdf

I have done work for Cochrane Systematic Reviews, as well as 'systematic reviews' that were not for Cochrane.

When listed as co-author on any paper, I have done one or more of the following:
- developed the search strategies - this may have involved several rounds of testing and revision
- conducted the searches in multiple databases
- updates as needed - find newly added references since time of previous searches
- downloaded records for Word, and/or for a reference management package (e.g. EndNote or Reference Manager)
- have imported search results into EndNote, and for some groups, exported the records in a format that could be imported into an excel spreadsheet
- written the literature search description for the publication
- created table of search terms for appendices
- reviewed the document before submission - mainly to review/revise the search description - but in some cases I made some comments re grammar or clarity.

I have worked on many systematic reviews, and have been included as an author on many.  My involvement varies a bit, but generally includes assisting in writing the formal protocol, defining the topic, research for background articles, suggesting the databases to be searched, writing, performing, and documenting in detail the search strategies used. Since searching may be iterative, I also track versions. I may assist in acquiring the papers, particularly if some are
difficult to locate.   I write the search methodology portion as well. I
also review the manuscript generally.  I may assist in acquiring the papers, particularly if some are difficult to locate. If there are questions about the strategy after publication, I answer them.  And, of course, since there's always a gap between initiation of the review and actual publication, I also run the updates.

if all goes according to plan I will be a co-author on 2 SR/meta-analyses currently in the works.  I've been involved in framing the research question which has changed substantially since the beginning of each project, in part in response to the volume of results I retrieved in preliminary searching.  After I completed the searches, I was involved in determining which studies would be included & excluded; responsible for citation management, obtaining full text of studies and obtaining translations of studies not published in English; and am now helping to abstract studies on both reviews.

It's been pretty wild -- good experience but a TON of work, far more time-consuming then on past projects when I only did the searches (& was not co-author).

I co-teach a systematic review class and I've worked on more than I can remember at this point.  Whenever I work on one with a student who is publishing or a faculty member, I generally take charge much of the methods section.
1.  I do the searches
2.  I document all results and sources
3.  I create a PRISMA flowchart that they can use 4.  I assist in removing duplicate results 5.  I either write or edit the search and results.

My faculty now list me as a co-author.   I've had 2 or 3 publications (at least-- I lose track) that are accepted or submitted as well as 2 posters that have been presented or accepted.

What I haven't done: screened titles/abstracts, screened articles, etc.

I have a workbook that helps to track EVERYTHING:

https://sph.uth.tmc.edu/current-students/library/guides-to-using-library-resources/

Click on the tab for systematic reviews for our handouts.  I also have several online presentations that are fairly short:

https://sph.uth.tmc.edu/current-students/library/systematic-review-presentations/

[...]

I've helped our PT students. They have groups that need to produce systematic reviews. I don't get credit but I have started including the sessions I spend with them (which are often over 2 hrs.) as entries in our instruction statistics. I am going to the 2.5 day course on systematic reviews at U of Pittsburgh and I know they cover that topic to some degree.
I am included as author in a Cochrane Review. We are still in the final stage of our protocol. Three of us worked together to choose a title, when we attended a workshop on Protocol writing. The other two were Final Year Med school students then.  So far I have mainly helped in the literature searching - just to choose a title and then to get references to write the background and protocol. I have also had discussions with Trial search coordinators about how we will go about the search strategies.

In India, we have the South Asian Cochrane Network Centre that is encouraging many of us to learn to write Cochrane Reviews. The Director of the Centre has encouraged me a lot and that is how I have teamed up with these "now medical graduates" and one senior doctor to write this review.  I am also helping the Centre in other search activities

Once our protocol is approved, I will also be helping to choose included studies and see what more I can do. The Centre holds a Review Completion workshop, and I will do my best to attend that too

I'm currently working on 2 systematic reviews where I've asked to be added as a co-author. For both, I'm doing the searches, deduping the citations and I've offered to write up the methods section on searching.  I had always been intimidated about doing this, but I went to the Systematic Review workshop in Pittsburg and they really encouraged it as a way of not only being recognized for the large amount of work that we librarians do, but also so that we are accountable for the searches should someone question the strategies or want an update.
Yes, I was invited to be co-author with our Interim Chair of Nursing, a systematic review of nursing interventions for neonatal abstinence syndrome.  The other co-author is from another university.  I did the literature search and wrote up that section of the article, and also advised on the abstract.  Most significantly, I helped identify journals to submit to.
The Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center Reference staff has a LibGuide devoted to this service which explains what they will do as part of the Systematic Review.  Please feel free to review content and don't hesitate to contact me should you have any questions.

http://libguides.mskcc.org/SR