MEDLIB-L March 2012, Week 1

Mary Spalding <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 7 Mar 2012 12:53:30 -0500

I asked whether all articles have doi numbers and how to best locate
those numbers for specific articles.  Thanks to everyone who
responded--it was a real education!

Since I wasn’t familiar with doi numbers, I looked them up and read a
bit about them at http://www.doi.org/. Digital Object Identifiers are
applied to documents that appear electronically.  To locate an article
online with its doi number, add this prefix to the doi:
http://dx.doi.org/ and your browser should go straight to the article.
 However, I found many times they were indexed in Elsevier or some
other database, so I could only get the citation and/or abstract
online.  But my interest was the doi numbers, so that at least
confirmed that they were correct.

Following are responses I got from folks on the MEDLIB list.  The most
frequently cited resource sent to me is CrossRef at
http://www.crossref.org/guestquery/, which allows you to search for
doi numbers with full or partial citations.  I received several
fulfill this request.  According to one response, 99% of articles with
dois should be found there.

I did not copy every person's response recommending CrossRef here, but
I included some that had other comments, as well as others that
recommended other strategies:

1.	Articles will have a DOI as almost all publishers in STM use them.
Most also assigned them to older articles.  …
[However … (see nos. 2-6 below)]
2.	No.  dois were implemented about 2007.
3.	DOI numbers are not necessarily found for nursing documents.
4.	My first thought was that it depends on the age of the citation. I
tried 2 author searches, one in '66 and the other in '76. Neither
article had a DOI. DOIs may have begun when more articles started
becoming available electronically. I would be interested if you get a
more scientific explanation.  [Response:  From what I learned, this is
indeed true.  They were not implemented until 2007 or so, and not all
publishers go back to add them retrospectively.]
5.	In short, a DOI RA (registration agency) will assign a DOIs, and
not every article has a DOI: From doi.org:
http://www.doi.org/faq.html#3.  Crossref has some useful information
as well.  I generally double check in crossref using the "search on
article title" feature of their DOI lookup tool
(http://www.crossref.org/guestquery/) if I don't find a DOI in CINAHL
or PubMed- they're the first DOI registration agency that springs to
mind for me: http://www.crossref.org/01company/16fastfacts.html.  If I
don't find the DOI on crossref, I feel like I've covered my bases.  In
summary, getting a DOI assigned involves some action on the
publisher's end, hence why quite a few articles lack DOIs.  To double
check for a DOI, give the crossref "guest query" a go. Hope that
helps! [It did.]
6.	Not all articles have DOI numbers as publishers are not required to
assign them. Some publishers also have chosen to assign numbers to
older articles, while others have not. CrossRef has the best DOI
lookup search engine we have found.
7.	Use an Internet Search engine...
8.	You will probably have to see if you can find it at the journals' web sites.
9.	DOI numbers are usually listed on the front page at the top of the
article in the PDF format. Also if you switch to the medline format on
pubmed it does show the doi numbers in one of the later fields. DOIs
are listed in EBSCO databases but the location varies. You usually
need to look at the full record.
10.	 When you conduct a search in PubMed, click on the title of the
article you would like to view.  Above the article abstract, title and
journal name you will see “Display Settings”.  Click on the down arrow
and choose “MEDLINE.”  Then scroll down and look for the AID (Article
Identifier).  I have seen the doi listed there.  To be more exact it
will only have one if it was indexed in Medline. To complicate things!
If it was only indexed in a database other than Medline I believe it
does not have to have a DOInumber attached to it. Good luck with the
project.
11.	I've had luck using the CrossRef application for DOI lookup -
http://www.crossref.org/guestquery/  (FYI - When using the author
field in a search, use just the last name.)  And not all articles have
DOI numbers - articles are more likely to have assigned DOI numbers if
they have been published within the last few years, though some
publishers are providing DOI numbers for older articles. [NOTE:  I did
not find doi numbers for most of the older articles on the list.]
12.	 I'm kind of an amateur expert on this subject.  CrossREF issues
DOIs, (the overwhelming majority, anyhow.)  And no - NOT all articles
have them.  Below is a DOI looker-upper [CrossRef]. You can save
yourself a million years by just copying the article title and pasting
it in their FREE FORM box first then if you can't find it, you can
fill out the official form thing.
13.	Most articles will have a DOI which you should be able to find on
the publisher site but you should also be able to look them up on the
Crossref site who are the ones that issue most
DOIs:http://www.crossref.org/guestquery/.

[As I said earlier, CrossRef was the best resource but I also checked
other sources for each article for which it did not return a doi
number BECAUSE:

14.	 You can use Crossref's DOI lookup.  It doesn't work for
everything, but it does for most articles:
http://www.crossref.org/guestquery/  [I had one article I found a doi
for that did not show up in CrossRef.  I went back to figure out which
one it was so I could re-try it (could be user error, as in my
typing!) but couldn’t remember.  Still, as this person states, it’s
possible that not everything can be found in CrossRef so I did try
other sources as well.]
15.	My understanding is 99% plus of the DOI's are there. I've heard of
other registration sites, I think for arts and humanities, but by far
and away CrossRef would be the best place to check. (unless things
have changed).

Again, thanks to everyone for their responses.  I'm almost finished
this project now, and I'm glad I have back-up if the patron asks why I
didn't find dois for some of the articles.

--
Mary Spalding, MA, MLIS
Program Coordinator

"Like" us on Facebook at
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Western-Maryland-AHEC/132988616755607

“The health of the people is really the foundation upon which all
their happiness and all their powers as a state depend.”  --Benjamin
Disraeli

Confidentiality Notice:  The information contained in this electronic
message is confidential and intended to be for the addressee only; if
you are not the intended recipient, please delete the message and
contact the sender.