Liability statement for searches

"Vardell, Emily" <[log in to unmask]>

Vardell, Emily

Thu, 14 Jun 2012 09:25:23 -0400

A few people requested summaries of what was sent my way, so I am posting it here. I have removed all identifying information. I hope this helps. Thanks to everyone who sent information my way. It is much appreciated!

Sample statements:
"The accompanying information is provided to you as a service of [Institution's Name]. The materials may or may not reflect the attitudes of [Institution's Name] and [Affiliation]. A concerted effort has been made to answer your question with relevant information from a reputable source. However, there may be more than one legitimate approach to health care questions. Any health care decisions should be made in conjunction with your health care provider."
Note: "The wording would have to be different for depending on what kind of information is being provided, but it is nice to have these liability statements, just in case."

"The [Library Name] does not warrant that they will find all possible relevant articles on the named topic, nor do they warrant the accuracy of information in the databases, reference works and other materials. Therefore, the [Library Name] disclaims any liability for errors in the information, data and other materials provided to clients."

Note: "We have this printed on the bottom of our literature search cover sheets along with the copyright warning. We also attach both to any searches we e-mail to customers. We do not have it on our search request form, either paper or electronic."

"[Name of their reference department] attempt to provide accurate, inclusive, and informative reports based on the specific questions and relevant data provided to them. All information is treated with strict confidentiality, in keeping with [Institution Name] policies. [Name of their reference department] attempt to report all points of view described in the literature, selecting what they consider the most representative examples of each. Summaries are prepared for the convenience of the clinician, and physicians should consult the full-text of the articles before taking action; however, the information provided is no substitute for clinical judgment. It is possible that any given search may omit some relevant information. More extensive bibliographic references for any topic are available upon request.

The information provided is developed by [Library Name] librarians in response to questions from [Institution Name] clinicians. The syntheses provided are copyrighted by the [Library Name] and should not be re-used without permission.

Select 'Continue' to acknowledge that you have read and understand this statement."

Additional sample statements (located through the Internet):

"Disclaimer: We make every effort to provide accurate and complete results. However, we assume no liability for information retrieved and its interpretation, application or omissions."

"While every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information supplied herein, the [Library Name] cannot be held responsible for any errors or omissions and reserves the right to change the content of its sites, including the products and services described therein, at any time; therefore, all [Library Name] and third party information is provided "AS IS." [Library Name] DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES WITH REGARD TO THE INFORMATION (INCLUDING ANY SOFTWARE) PROVIDED, INCLUDING THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, AND NON-INFRINGEMENT. Some jurisdictions do not allow the exclusion of implied warranties, so the above exclusion may not apply to you... The [Library Name] shall not be liable for any damages whatsoever, including any special, indirect, consequential, or incidental damages, or damages for lost profits, loss of revenue, or loss of use, arising out of your access to, or inability to access, any [Library Name] Web Sites or the information contained within them, whether such damages arise in contract, negligence, tort, under statute, in equity, at law or otherwise."

Advice on who to consult:

"Your institution's legal resources would likely appreciate being asked about this also, since they're the ones that would probably be early in line to deal with any "issues" arising - either with or without a statement/document on the subject."

"Also check with your facility's Risk Management office; their colleagues at other facilities might be able to help as well."