Re: Delta Park IBA

Josh Phillips <[log in to unmask]>

Vermont Birds <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 16 Aug 2012 13:24:39 -0400

Happy Bennington Battle Day everyone!  I celebrated with a fairly remarkable morning at Delta Park.  I didn't find the stilt sandpiper or the pectoral that David saw yesterday, but I did locate the Baird's (buffy wash was visible to the naked eye in the bright sun), a white-rumped that was helpfully associating with peeps to make itself obvious, two lesser yellowlegs, a sanderling (not behaving like they do on the beach at the ocean though!), semipalmated plovers and sandpipers, leasts, and large numbers of common terns and Bonaparte's gulls.

The gulls and terns were stirred up at about 9:30 by a massive flock of cormorants that headed north towards Mills Point.  I counted them passing for at least five minutes and came up with a total of 1650.  That's probably conservative.  There were also innumerable cormorants at the limits of my vision to the west- I can't imagine what the total number in the broad lake must be.

The biggest surprise of the morning wasn't a wader or a seabird though- it was a songbird that I was quite surprised to find along the lake.  I was sitting by the water trying to pick out a black tern amongst the other gulls and terns (unsuccessfully) when I was ambushed by a large group of red-eyed vireos in the willow behind me.  Late to arrive was a Philadelphia vireo!  I got good clear looks and was astonished enough that I knocked over my chair, tripod, and blind trying to spin the camera around.

On the way out I flushed three birds from the cattail marsh that I'm nearly convinced were snipe.  Seems like an odd spot/habitat though...

I hope to have some photos of the least and semipalmated sandpipers up on my blog soon.  They're either the most gregarious of the shorebirds present or most apt to be fooled by my little hide.

Full list:

Delta Park IBA - Colchester - Winooski Valley Park District, Chittenden, US-VT
Aug 16, 2012 8:45 AM - 11:15 AM
Protocol: Traveling
0.5 mile(s)
38 species

Mallard  3
Double-crested Cormorant  1650     Conservative count- many more further out in the lake
Great Blue Heron  1
Great Egret  6
Osprey  2
Semipalmated Plover  8
Killdeer  1
Lesser Yellowlegs  2
Sanderling  1
Semipalmated Sandpiper  6
Least Sandpiper  7
White-rumped Sandpiper  1
Baird's Sandpiper  1
Bonaparte's Gull  32
Ring-billed Gull  10
Herring Gull (American)  1
Great Black-backed Gull  3
Caspian Tern  12
Common Tern  22
Mourning Dove  1
Ruby-throated Hummingbird  1
Belted Kingfisher  1
Downy Woodpecker  1
Hairy Woodpecker  1
Eastern Phoebe  8
Eastern Kingbird  2
Philadelphia Vireo  1     Traveling with a flock of 8+ REVIs- similar behavior, fairly bright yellow wash on entire chest/belly, drab above, distinct mask
Red-eyed Vireo  8
American Crow  1
Tree Swallow  2
Barn Swallow  2