]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

VTBIRD Home

VTBIRD  August 2012

VTBIRD August 2012

Update Re: [VTBIRD] Sandhill cranes fairfield

Charlotte Bill <[log in to unmask]>

Vermont Birds <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 2 Aug 2012 10:39:31 -0700

A pleasure to meet you Roy and am glad you saw all three cranes!!!

A pleasure to meet you Roy and am glad you saw all three cranes!!!

Here's a Fairfield Sandhill Crane update for all:

Thanks to Dorothy Allard's post, as well as an email from Franklin County Forester, Nancy Patch (who narrowed down the location a bit more), I was able to get over to Fairfield by 8:45 and watch the cranes until 9:51 today. My husband, Hal,  joined me about 9:35 from an appointment in St. Albans.

After I made my initial post to VTBird, I saw that while the youngster was definitely feeding on its own, its parents were also giving it tidbits of food - very delicately offered at the tip of the long beak and equally delicately accepted.

Five crows were feeding on the ground nearby - fun to watch the young bird chase them away - also to watch the young bird stretch and flap its wings, though it did not take flight.

Prior to Hal's arrival. I alternately watched from the ground and from my vehicle (using both it and the big red hay wagon as a blind). The cranes were first feeding along the far edge of the hay field and moving west, but then they moved more into the center of the field and moved steadily east. At one point, they were within 100 feet of my car, so I had incredible views. They continued east, moving down the slope. Then Hal arrived, and we watched them move gradually out of sight over the edge of the downward slope. Hal left going east to home, and I headed west to see the Osprey at Fairfield Swamp WMA, then drove back east.

Saw two locals in a pick-up truck marveling at the cranes in the field near the little marshy area Roy mentions, so I stopped and we all looked. Then I realized I might as well turn around and go into St. Albans for an errand.

Driving back from St. Albans, I saw a car that looked like a birder's car, so I stopped and met Roy. We both had spotted the immature crane in the reeds of the little marshy area, but I left him to it and headed home.

Soooo, as Roy mentions the cranes were last seen in little marshy area on the north side of Route 36 0.5-0.6 miles east of Hill Road (Another marker for you: I first saw them 1.2 miles east of and last saw them 1.4 miles east the the sign at the Fairfield Swamp Wildlife Management Area.)

Cheers,

Charlotte Bill
Enosburgh