Re: Delta Park IBA STILT SANDPIPERS

Carl Runge <[log in to unmask]>

Vermont Birds <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 6 Aug 2012 09:29:37 -0700

Delta Park is owned and managed by the Winooski Valley Park District.  The shoreline along the mouth of the Winooski River and the outer westernmost sandbar has historically been off limits to the public as it has been managed for the only known Vermont breeding population of the dune tiger beetle (Cicindela hirtocollis), which is protected as a threatened species in Vermont. The outer sandbar is also protected as a turtle nesting site. Also protected in the northern area of the park is a rare beach pea population.

I believe the area David describes is open to the public but is near the beach pea population so care should be taken if you venture there.

This information is several years old.  For up to date information please contact the Winooski Valley Park District.

Carl

________________________________
 From: David Rankin <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Monday, August 6, 2012 11:13 AM
Subject: Re: [VTBIRD] Delta Park IBA STILT SANDPIPERS

I didn't even know there was another area of Delta Park. If you park at the
boat launch and walk across the bike path, through the little fence lined
path onto the overgrown beach area, then follow the shoreline south,
through the wet, marshy area (it helps to wear sandals, as your feet will
get wet and gross), then further down the beach, after a few minutes you'll
start to bend to the east and you'll see a series of sandbars that the
gulls and shorebirds loaf on. (they are also visible from the bike path
bridge over the river, but you're too far away to really get good looks at
any shorebirds). The shorebirds were on one of the sandbars closer to shore
that the terns and gulls mostly avoided.

That's the only way I know of getting there. Hope that helps.

David