Re: Red-crossbill?

Roy Pilcher <[log in to unmask]>

Vermont Birds <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 25 Sep 2012 16:48:07 -0400

Greetings Bob and Maeve,
Bob, thanks for drawing my attention to "First Year Male" plumage.   From
what I now observe and from the recordings I have heard my strong
inclination is to go with "First Year Male Red Crossbill". [Thanks also Maeve  for the
bird song link.]
As a single record it means little but if other sightings are forthcoming
it will stand!
Thanks also for responding both of you.
Cheers,
Roy
The Gables at East Mountain, Rutland,  Vermont

Speaking the same language.

Red Crossbills have been showing up in many states recently, including
Wisconsin, Ohio and even central California. It's confounding people because it
 doesn't seem like a winter irruption. Also, the many different subspecies
have  many different sounds. You can find a wide variety of songs and flight
notes by  going to www.xeno-canto.org and typing Red Crossbill in the
search box. Many of  the songs are definitely sweet!

Maeve Kim
Jericho  Center

In a message dated 9/25/2012 8:39:00 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,