17 warbler spp.

Doug Hardy <[log in to unmask]>

Vermont Birds <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 5 Sep 2012 12:17:52 -0400

A quick outing this morning (~8am) in the area around our house turned
up just one warbler species (Common
Yellowthroat). I had just about given up on the morning for migrants
when a wave of activity hit: 10 warbler species in 10 minutes in one
small willow tree. Over the next hour and half, I found 7 more species,
including 2 Cape Mays; a Philadelphia Vireo was also present.

Even after 10+ autumns of birding here, predicting the good mornings
isn't always possible... which helps keep things exciting.

Spencer Hardy,
Norwich VT

home, Windsor, US-VT
Sep 5, 2012 9:45 AM - 11:15 AM
Protocol: Area
3.0 ac
39 species

Mourning Dove (Zenaida macroura)  1
Ruby-throated Hummingbird (Archilochus colubris)  2
Downy Woodpecker (Picoides pubescens)  2
Hairy Woodpecker (Picoides villosus)  1
Northern Flicker (Yellow-shafted) (Colaptes auratus [auratus Group])  1
Eastern Wood-Pewee (Contopus virens)  1
Least Flycatcher (Empidonax minimus)  1
Eastern Phoebe (Sayornis phoebe)  2

Blue-headed Vireo (Vireo solitarius)  2
*Philadelphia Vireo (Vireo philadelphicus)  1*
Red-eyed Vireo (Vireo olivaceus)  1

Blue Jay (Cyanocitta cristata)  4
Black-capped Chickadee (Poecile atricapillus)  7
Tufted Titmouse (Baeolophus bicolor)  4
Red-breasted Nuthatch (Sitta canadensis)  1
White-breasted Nuthatch (Sitta carolinensis)  1
House Wren (Troglodytes aedon)  1
American Robin (Turdus migratorius)  1

*Northern Waterthrush (Parkesia noveboracensis)  1*
Black-and-white Warbler (Mniotilta varia)  2
*Tennessee Warbler (Oreothlypis peregrina)  3*
Nashville Warbler (Oreothlypis ruficapilla)  1
Common Yellowthroat (Geothlypis trichas)  1
American Redstart (Setophaga ruticilla)  2
*Cape May Warbler (Setophaga tigrina)  2*
Northern Parula (Setophaga americana)  2
Magnolia Warbler (Setophaga magnolia)  2
Blackburnian Warbler (Setophaga fusca)  4
Chestnut-sided Warbler (Setophaga pensylvanica)  4
Blackpoll Warbler (Setophaga striata)  1
Black-throated Blue Warbler (Setophaga caerulescens)  1
Pine Warbler (Setophaga pinus)  1
Yellow-rumped Warbler (Myrtle) (Setophaga coronata coronata)  3
Black-throated Green Warbler (Setophaga virens)  6
*Wilson's Warbler (Cardellina pusilla)  1*

Song Sparrow (Melospiza melodia)  2
Rose-breasted Grosbeak (Pheucticus ludovicianus)  1
Purple Finch (Haemorhous purpureus)  2
American Goldfinch (Spinus tristis)  20