October is Disability Awareness Month

ACCESS <[log in to unmask]>

ACCESS Info <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 28 Sep 2012 13:36:54 -0400

As you may know, October is Disability Awareness Month. Join us as UVM
celebrates Disability Awareness Month. Through workshops, speakers, art
and activities this month is aimed at heightening awareness and
increasing knowledge of [dis]abilities on campus and in the broader
Burlington community. Events are free and open to the public. Learn more
about all the events at: http://bit.ly/UVM-DAM

On Monday, 10/1 at 7 PM in the Davis Center's Livak Ballroom, we will
kick-off the celebration welcome speaker and artist, Ben Glenn, to
campus. Also known as “The Chalkguy,” Ben will be sharing his From
Special Ed to Simply Special message. It’s his personal story of how he
was diagnosed with a learning disability as a young student, and the
trials and triumphs that followed. It’s an entertaining, humorous,
inspiring presentation with a fun, multi-media twist that will challenge
the attendees to appreciate and accept the unique nature of each
individual. See a preview of Ben's talk here:
http://uvmbored.com/event/from-special-ed-to-simply-special-an-evening-with-ben-glenn/

Questions? Please contact Laurel Cameron ([log in to unmask]) or FM Muñoz

We hope to see many of you throughout the month!

Additionally, The Disability Awareness Month Committee invites you to
help [re]frame disability by volunteering to staff our photo-taking
table. The photos we take will raise awareness of the diversity that
exists along the disability spectrum.

Please follow the link below to open a doodle poll to sign up for one,
or more, shift(s). Once you have let us know that you are available for
a shift, we will send you another email that gives you a choice of which
position you want to have. The position descriptions & shift times are
explained here. For example, if you choose to volunteer from 11:30 -
Noon, the only position needed then is Construction Crew. However, if
you volunteer from Noon-1, or 1-2, there are three different options to
choose from.

Positions:

1) Construction Crew- Set-up and Break-down the table; Half-Hour Shifts
(Shift 1 & 4)

2) Registry Aide- Sit at/near the table to answer questions & explain
the campaign; (Shift 2 & 3)

3) Framing Consultant- Help students choose a picture frame & template
to use for their photo; (Shift 2 & 3)

4) Photographer- Take photos of students with disabilities; (Shift 2 & 3)

Times:

Shift 1: 11:30 AM - 12-Noon

Shift 2: 12-Noon - 1:00 PM

Shift 3: 1:00 PM - 2:00 PM

Shift 4: 2:00 PM - 2:30 PM

Thank you for your consideration!!! Our Very Best Regards, Dirk Rodricks
& Jenn Rousseau

Follow this link to open the poll: http://doodle.com/8yyrinxc3ks4sxxz

Best,

The Disability Awareness Month Planning Committee