Re: seeing the Willet at Shelburne Bay

Larry Haugh <[log in to unmask]>

Vermont Birds <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 6 Sep 2012 21:23:11 -0400

Hi Frances,
Yes, it has always been visible to date from the big rock which is at
the northerly end of the parking lot for the boat access (which is off
Bay Road, just west of the LaPlatte River bridge).
Originally when I first found it, it was farther out to the east of the
rock, which puts it in scope-preferred range; but then one day it was
right near/on the rock (luckily the day that Bob Dill was able to get
good pictures), and many days to the west of the rock, in which case you
will find it with bins. When I saw it late morning today, it was by
itself to the west. Even then, to look carefully at its plumage, etc, a
scope would be preferred; but bins would allow you to distinguish it
from the Greater/Lesser Yellowlegs that may also be around. Several
people saw it again late afternoon/early evening today.
If you are coming a distance on Sat, check again that it is still here
on Friday, as someone usually reports on it daily.
Some of the habitat has been reduced with the last rain, but there is
still enough good habitat left for shorebirds at this end of the
Shelburne Bay.
Unfortunately if shorebirds are far to the east along the shore, there
is enough vertical variation in the banks and pools to hide birds as
seen from the big rock, even ones as big as the Black-bellied Plovers.
(Both American Golden-Plover and Black-bellied Plover, and even a Stilt
Sandpiper, were seen late this afternoon.)
Good luck,
Larry