Music therapy and hospice -- Summary

Sarah Goff <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 12 Oct 2012 10:56:36 -0500

Hello!

A couple of weeks ago, I sent out a question to the MEDLIB and Music
Library Association lists, asking...

Our hospice program asked me to conduct a search for playlists that may
help patients who fall into one of the following categories and/or are
experiencing a "trigger" that might make them a good candidate for music

therapy:

Patient experiencing dementia - music may help to enhance memory

Patient experiencing mild agitation - music may help with relaxation

Patient experiencing sadness or depression - music may help to "cheer
up"

Patient experiencing signs of imminent death - music could be spiritual,
relaxing, etc.

Patient experiencing religious distress (feels disconnected from church
or faith, has concerns about what happens after death) - music could be
religious/spiritual/hymns, etc.

I searched MEDLINE and found plenty of studies supporting the practice
of music therapy.  I've searched Google, and found several music
therapists' blogs offering song suggestions, but I was hoping to find a
published text or document with song examples (which may or may not
exist).  Music, after all, is very personal and it may be challenging to
come up with an all-inclusive list.

I'm wondering if any of your hospitals employ a music therapist who
might be able to point me to a relevant resource?

Below you will find a summary of responses from both groups.  Many, many
thanks to all those who took the time to answer my question!

Sarah Goff

Great River Medical Center

MED-LIB Listserv replies to Music Therapy/hospice question:

I was a music therapist for five years on and off.  I put myself through
college that way.  I never worked from lists but from Jazz Standards
books.  That is where most of the repertoire comes from.  It depends on
the patient's age though and what music they liked.  The response does
not come from the music but form the patient's subconscious mind when
the music triggers memories. It is amazing because patients who do not
know where they are or how old they are even, will remember every word
of their favorite songs.  They will not remember their children's names
or even know that they are inside as opposed to outside, but the moment
they hear certain music they become lucid and do start remembering small
things.

For Dementia pateints I would play age appropriate standards, mostly
crooner music from the 50's and 60's.  For dying people though, confined
to bed and not conscious I would play only classical music and only
certain composers.  Mostly Puccini, Bach, Gabrielle, Pachelbel,
Palestrina, Robert Gass, Enya, and Will Ackerman.  Nothing with a beat
or odd time signature.  No Leonard Bernstein of Copeland.  Nothing
screechy.  Don't play solo violin music!  And no Alan Berg.  Puccini's
operas are very melodic and have a very high frequency.  Nothing is more
spiritual than that.  Verdi is too dark and Wagner is gorgeous until
they begin singing.  Plus never play Wagner because if the patient is
Jewish it could agitate them since Hitler played Wagner as he marched
Jews into the gas chambers.  Hitler was a Wagner fanatic and would
"meditate" in Bayreuth, the opera house that Wagner built.  So steer
clear of his works in the Hospice.  Wagner was by his own admission a
stringent anti-semite.

----------

Book titles to consider...

Mel Bay Song Book for Music Therapy

http://www.amazon.com/Mel-Guitar-Songbook-Music-Therapy/dp/0786658622/re
f=sr

_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1348833501&sr=8-1&keywords=guitar+songbook+for+music+th
erap

Guitar Songbook for Music Therapy

http://www.amazon.com/Guitar-Songbook-Music-Therapy-Collection/dp/B008MC
B3PY

/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1348833651&sr=1-2

New Music Therapist's Handbook

http://www.amazon.com/New-Music-Therapists-Handbook/dp/0634006452/ref=sr
_1_1

?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1348833799&sr=1-1&keywords=music+therapy+books

Music Therapy

http://www.amazon.com/Music-Therapy-Edward-Podolsky/dp/1162971630/ref=sr
_1_f

kmr0_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1348834128&sr=1-2-fkmr0&keywords=music+therap
y+a+

fieldwork+primer#_

Barcelona Publishers: http://www.barcelonapublishers.com/  (music
therapy

publisher)

We have the Natural Standard database here at our college and I did a
search on music therapy. There is strong evidence that Music Therapy is
a positive treatment for all of the conditions listed below. However,
one of the caveats about the research that the reviewers points out is
that because the types of music are not always included in the studies,
it is not clear if that is factor in the efficacy of the treatment.

The article does mention the American Music Therapist Association. And
in another article I read, they mentioned following the guidelines of
this organization. It also mentioned in passing music of different
pitches and tones providing better results for patients with dementia.

-------

Hi, this is an excellent interactive tool for people with limited
movement.

With it, the person can play along with any music.

http://deeplistening.org/site/adaptiveuse

Music Library Association listserv responses:

I am not a music therapist if that is what you are looking for, but I am
a librarian at a private Christian music college and can provide my
suggestions:

1) For contemporary Christian songs (ca. 2005-present) with lyrics, any
songs by:  Hillsongs [and all derivative bands], Delirious, Chris
Tomlin, Lakewood Church, John Angotti

2) For contemporary Christian songs (ca.1990-ca.2004) with lyrics, any
songs by: Don Moen, Pete Sanchez, Tom Lane, Darlene Zschech, Ron Kenoly,
Tom Booth

3) For meditation: Gregorian Chant

Are you familiar with Spotify?  You can listen music by all of these
artists via Spotify for free to see what you suits your needs.

Beach House is a modern dream pop band, but I find it quite relaxing, so
much so that it's often my afternoon commute music. There are at least 3
albums, and I think they're all good.

and as far as classical music goes, the composer Debussy is beautiful
and relaxing--especially the piano works. (I have no idea if you're a
classical music afficionado), but Debussy's music is the musical
equivalent of Monet--the music can make you feel like you're floating
down a river, or lying and looking at clouds.

I hope you are well.  I write in response to your inquiry about
playlists and hospice care.  Quite literally, as your inquiry arrived in
my inbox via the MLA listeserve, my colleague, Katrina Dixon, and I were
discussing the initiative she is developing, "collection therapy," a
major element of which includes hospice work.  I am introducing her via
this email so that you may be in touch directly.

I hope NYPL can be of help.

----

There a number of books and places for these kinds of music; often under
the topic "music to soothe the soul," and "music for the dying patient."
  I would check with the organizations first.
http://www.growthhouse.org/music.html
http://www.pbs.org/wnet/onourownterms/therapy/healing/music.html
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/cancer-and-music/MY01755
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12693645
http://www.brown.uk.com/palliative/krout.pdf

---------

I don't have a playlist, but I can steer you towards a book that may be
helpful:

Hilliard, Russell E. (2005). Hospice and palliative care music therapy:
A guide to program development and clinical care. Cherry Hill, NJ:
Jeffrey Books. 128 pages. $20.00

I searched Music Therapy Perspectives, a publication of the American
Music Therapy Association that is aimed at clinicians, for "hospice,"
and retrieved a review of the book. The citation for the review is:

Hunt, Andrea McGraw. "Book Reviews: "Hospice and Palliative Care Music
Therapy: A Guide to Program Development and Clinical Care," by Russell
E. Hilliard." Music Therapy Perspectives 27.1 (2009): 72-3.
International Index to Music Periodicals Full Text. Web. 28 Sep. 2012.

------------

Genres of music and playlists might not be nearly as useful as very
specific songs with personal meaning to the individual patient. When I
worked at BECPL there was a retired music therapist (I think) who did
volunteer hospice work in the downtown Buffalo hospitals and would
regularly come in to look through our card catalog of 100,000+ song
titles in the sheet music collection for some now-forgotten song that
was part of the important coming-of-age music treasured by a patient,
who wanted to hear someone sing that song, one more time. If we had it,
he would do it! I sometimes tell this story in my classes and it usually
puts a lump in my throat... Perhaps this re-asks your question in a
nonetheless helpful way.

------------

As someone with a background in ethnomusicology I'm aware that, while
there might be some universals in music, people tend to have different
preferences based on their childhood, community, regional, national, and
religious connections.  What might trigger relaxation in one person
might trigger extreme agitation in another.  You might find it useful to
have different lists depending on how some of your patients respond to
some questions about their cultural background.  Also, since music that
recalls one's childhood or early adult years can be very soothing, you
might try to get a sense of the kinds of music many people in southeast
Iowa were listening to around 1920-1940 (German and Scandinavian folk
and religious music might factor for some).

------------

My best suggestion would be to contact Judith Pinkerton, MT-BC/L,
Founder and President of Music 4 Life Inc.

------------

My personal favorite comforting song about death is Byrd's "Justorum
animae" --Latin words mean "The souls of the just are in the hand of
God, and the pangs of death do not touch them. In the eyes of the
foolish they seem to die, but they are at peace." Whether you understand
the words or not, the music seems just right to me -- a little gem, deep
and peaceful but certainly not boring. And in my view, the music itself
(not the words) tells a story of simplicity, complexity, synthesis of
the two, and fulfillment.

Of course, as several people have said, the "right" music will differ by
cultural background and personal preference, but I had to mention this
piece since it's what I'd want if I were the one dying. So I put you all
on notice that if any of you happen to be around when I'm on the point
of death, that's the piece to play for me. (Other Byrd would do in a
pinch.)

------------

I have two high recommendations for those libraries with "folk music"
collections. One, you've probably read about - the Woody@100 - box set
with a book and three CDs from the Smithsonian/Folkways label. It came
out this summer and is essential listening. Of course, I understand
libraries will have a problem cataloging and storing it as the book is a
reference and the inserted CDs will need to be housed separately. There
are lots of reviews of this out there (including my own five-star review
on Amazon).

But one of the last items released in the, Guthrie's "Centenary Year"
came out last week from the independent Appleseed Records label. It's
titled "Pete Remembers Woody". I feel this would make an important
addition (as well as a companion to the Woody@100 set) to any folk music
archive or library folk collection. (Note: I have no connection with the
label, I just appreciate their independent spirit and high quality
releases.) Here's a link to my Amazon review which will give you more
info.:

http://tinyurl.com/8jgy57d

Sarah Goff, MS

Great River Health Systems Library

1221 S. Gear Avenue

West Burlington, IA  52655

(319) 768-4075

**LEGAL STATEMENT FOR INTERLIBRARY LOANS:
This material may be protected by copyright law (TITLE 17, U.S. CODE),
and is intended for personal research and study. Licensing restrictions
may require that a single print copy only be delivered to the end user
and immediate deletion of the electronic copy.