]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

MEDLIB-L Home

MEDLIB-L  December 2012, Week 3

MEDLIB-L December 2012, Week 3

Re: How to organize/store annotated pdfs

William Gunn <[log in to unmask]>

William Gunn <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 20 Dec 2012 13:17:57 -0800

Karen, you bring up a good point that illustrates one of the big concerns
with cloud services. I was a Flickr user before they were acquired by
Yahoo, and there was quite a bit of discussion about those terms when the
deal happened. From what i understand, those terms don't give Yahoo the
right to sell your uploaded pictures, rather they're intended to protect
Yahoo from someone claiming they should be paid licensing fees when
pictures they upload appear in search results or group thumbnails.
Nonetheless, for people with paid accounts, the co-counder Catarina
personally refunded anyone who was unhappy with with the terms. I
personally decided to stay and my impression was that about as many people
left over this as over the fact that they were then required to sign in
with a yahoo email address.

Here's the two relevant sections from Mendeley's TOS:

"you hereby grant to us a world-wide licence to use, modify, display,
reproduce, communicate and distribute such Content as we deem reasonably
necessary in our discretion to provide our service (including search
results) through our Site. *We do not claim any ownership rights in your or
any other user’s Content*. After posting or uploading your Content to the
Site, except for the license granted to us hereunder, you continue to
retain all ownership rights in such Content and you continue to have the
right to use your Content in any way you choose."

"you hereby grant to us a limited licence to upload, copy, store, use,
modify, display and reproduce your Academic Papers for the sole purpose of
providing the Mendeley service to you"

Do those terms make you feel more comfortable?

--
William Gunn | Head of Academic Outreach | +1 646 755 9862
http://www.mendeley.com/profiles/william-gunn