(SKIVT-L)

Visit SkiVT-L website

SKIVT-L

SKIVT-L@LIST.UVM.EDU

From:
David Guertin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 16 Dec 2012 09:23:18 -0500
PJ has it right. If the waterfowl's down was oiled, it would lose its
insulating abilities just as much as our down coat would if it gets wet.
Ironically, when birds die in oil spills, it's partly because they get
so soaked in oil that the down gets soaked too.

When a bird preens, it's realigning the feather barbs on the outer
feathers, at the same time coating them with a thin layer of oil from
the sebaceous gland. (The sebaceous gland is located at the base of the
tail -- that's why when you see a bid preening it's always poking around
the base of its tail.) Down feathers have no barbs, so there's nothing
to realign.

Dave G., bird guy filling in for the absent JustinW