]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

VTBIRD Home

VTBIRD  January 2013

VTBIRD January 2013

Re: Feeder Observations: Suet, Mourning Doves, and Redpolls

Jane Stein <[log in to unmask]>

Vermont Birds <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 23 Jan 2013 22:06:40 -0500

On the suet-- wow, totally different from my fairly brief experience
using beef suet.  I'll have to try it again.  I didn't put up two
feeders, but just put the beef suet into my regular (upside down) suet
feeder, and it was used much, much less frequently than the packaged
stuff with seeds or corn or whatever in it.

I wonder whether there's a difference among species.  My upside-down
ones are patronized almost exclusively by hairy, downy and red-bellied
woodpeckers, with the very occasional nuthatch.  Other birds like suet,
too, of course, but I was having such a problem with starlings and
bluejays running through the suet so quickly, I gave up on using
anything but the upside-down ones rather than feed these gluttons all
winter.

What kind of feeder do you have, and who's eating the suet?

As for Redpolls, you might want to check out the discussion at the ABA
link posted in a message this afternoon,
http://blog.aba.org/2013/01/open-mic-redpolls.html.

There seems to be a fairly general consensus now that there may not be
such a thing as a Hoary Redpoll.  Still worth keeping track, I would
think, with a careful description of the characteristics of any possible
Redpoll, because they may eventually find DNA evidence of a separate
species or subspecies, even if they haven't yet.

Jane
(Shoreham)