LISTSERV Archives

USDEBATE Home

USDEBATE  February 2013

USDEBATE February 2013

Colgate OPEN invitation (March 30-31)

"Barnes, R Eric" <[log in to unmask]>

USA Debating in the WUDC Format <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 16 Feb 2013 16:27:37 +0000

FROM:  Alexa Windsor (Tournament Director, 2013 Colgate Open)

On behalf of the Colgate Debate Society, I would like to welcome you to the fourth annual Colgate International Open. This packet should answer many of your questions about lodging, transportation, food and entertainment. It also includes a schedule of events. If, after reading, you still have questions, feel free to contact me at anytime at [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>.

The registration fee for the tournament is $100 per team and $40 per judge (N-l is in effect with limited cover available for an extra fee of $150 per uncovered team). I ask that you make checks payable to Colgate University Debate, and that you bring them to registration on the 30th.

We will have a very competitive tournament with teams from all over North America and the world, including many of the international teams that will be competing at the HWS / IDEA Round Robin. We will have an excellent judging pool led by our CA, Ben Woolgar (co-CA of Oxford IV and WUDC Finalist). Additionally, Gavin Illsley will act as the DCA for the tournament.

This is an open tournament, meaning teams do not necessarily need to be from the same institution or currently affiliated with an institution to participate, so feel free to let any interested alumni know that they are welcome. We have a team cap of 100 teams (which we do not expect to be filled) and no team cap per institution.

To register, or for any questions please feel free to contact me at [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>.

Tournament Schedule

Saturday, March 30th:
8:00-9:00 – Registration / Breakfast (Provided)
9:45-11:45 – Round 1
11:45-1:45 – Round 2
1:45-2:45 – Lunch (Provided)
2:45-4:45 – Round 3
4:45-6:45 – Round 4
6:45-8:00 Dinner (On your own)
8:00-Late – Pub

Sunday, March 31st:
8:00-9:00 – Registration/Breakfast (Provided)
9:00-11:00 – Round 5
Break Announcement
11:00-1:00 – Quarterfinal
1:00-2:00 – Lunch (Provided)
2:00-4:00 – Semi-Final
4:00-6:00 – Final

Hotels:

Although the peace and quiet is a nice perk, one unfortunate part of being on a secluded campus is a relative lack of hotel rooms. There are a number of hotels within reasonable distance of the campus that fall in numerous price categories.

We also have a block of rooms reserved at the tournament hotel- The Wendt University Inn, right here in Hamilton, at 175 Utica Street, 13346. Rooms are limited, but are currently available for only $99 a night if you mention the “Colgate international debate tournament” when booking. Their number is 315-824-4425.

We will have EXTREMELY LIMITED crash available, but hotel availability should not be a problem.

Additional hotels can be found in Verona, NY, a short drive away. They are:
-- The Inn at Turning Stone 800-771-7711
-- Fairfield Inn and Suites 315-363-8888
-- Microtel lnn and Suites 315-363-1850

Eric Barnes
Hobart and William Smith Colleges
Philosophy Department