]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

MEDLIB-L Home

MEDLIB-L  February 2013, Week 1

MEDLIB-L February 2013, Week 1

Re: MEDLIB-L Digest - 30 Jan 2013 to 31 Jan 2013 (#2013-30)

"Bartoli, Diane (ELS-PHI)" <[log in to unmask]>

Bartoli, Diane (ELS-PHI)

Fri, 1 Feb 2013 22:34:39 +0000

Since my last post responding to Michelle Kraft's notes on
ClinicalKey and the announcement that MD Consultwill not be available for
North American institutions after December 201, we have received several
follow
up questions. I thought it might be usefu to share those questions and the

                 Doesn¹t ClinicalKey only offer Elsevier
resources?
ClinicalKey doe contain nearly all
of Elsevier¹s proprietary medical and surgical contet.   However,
ClinicalKey also offers a much
wider view of content beond Elsevier.
For example, all of the clinical trial information from
cliicaltrials.gov is integrated into ClinicalKey along with the complete
set
of 22 million monogaphs from MEDLINE. In addition, there are a select
number of
third party journals found on ClinicalKey, and we¹re continually working
to add
more of these titles as we reach agreement with organiations and
publishers.
All the content, including licensed third partycontent, is tagged to our
proprietary clinical taxonomy, EMMeT, lowing for a powerful integrated
search
to work effectively across an enormus corpus of literature with the sole
purpose of finding the most clincally relevant content, whether Elsevier
publishes
it or not, as quickly as possible.

Isn¹t ClinicalKey just a federated search of Elsevier¹s content?
A great deal of effort and
resources have gone into creating a powerful and clinically oriented
integrated
search functionality that is the hert of ClinicalKey.  As a result,
ClinicalKey offers much more than
a federated search product. A federated search is a simultaneous search
executed across multiple, disparate resources tha results
in an aggregate view of those disparate searches into one interfae.
However,
the results are all kept separate from one another, often repesented in a
tabbed format. The search on ClinicalKey is an integrated searh, which
means that results
from 12 different content types are returned ina single list, ranked by
clinical relevance. The core difference is a singe integrated index from
all
of the available content sources rather than eparate search results from
each source
or content type.  With an integratd search, users aren¹t required to
compare results across tabs, and instad are
presented with the most relevant findings at the top of a single list of
searh
results. Search filters on ClinicalKey then allow users to islate
findings by
content type, specialty, or date. Finally, we are abe to deliver an
integrated semantic search across such disparate sources because
ClinicaKey
enriches every piece of content on ClinicalKey with Smart Content tags
derived
from Elsevier¹s proprietary taxonomy, EMMeT.
This enrichment allows much more precise search results and aids in the
discovery of additional resources and content on every search.

Why doesn't ClinicalKey provide the ability to link from PubMed r link
to another platform?
We have been actively working with
the NLM formonths to get ClinicalKey integrated with PubMed LinkOut. The
NLM
has acknowledged our data feed and continue to process our information.
When we
receive word from the NLM that ClinicalKey links are ready through PubMed
we
will notify all subscribers.
 As for linking to and from oher platforms,
this can already be accomplished in most cases using a link resolver.
There ar two noted exceptions that we are
actively trying to resolve: 1) SFX has told us it will be early February
before
their system is set up for ClinicalKey, and 2) Ovid LinkSolver continues to
implement our link values in their system. We are also making several
changes
to how and where link resolution icons are placed on journal and MELINE
records. These improvements will be available on ClinicalKey in a fewweeks.
If you¹re a current subscriber to
ClinicalKey, there is more inforation about link resolvers on the
ClinicalKey
Resource Center at http://ifo.clinicalkey.com/resources

Why doesn't ClinicalKey offer issue alerts?
We plan to release this functionality, along with other personalized
alerting functionality later this
year.  In the meantime, to stay abreast
of new content on the site, we encourage you to use the Master Content
List for
ClinicalKey, which is always available for download in the ClinicalKey
Resource
Center at http://info.clinicalkey.com/resources.  In addition to that,
there will be a
newsletter forthcoming that will offer subscribers and those interested in
ClinicalKey an ongoing source of information for what is new with the
product.  Plus, the ClinicalKey blog will soon carry content update posts
as a way for you to continually see what
content has been added to the platform.

Why aren¹t back files included in ClinicalKey?
The focus of ClinicalKey from the start has been to provide physicians
with the fastest path to the most clinicallyrelevant answers.  In our discussions with over 2000 physicians during the
development of ClinicalKey, their feelings
were that most information older than four years wasn¹t current enough to
be
clinically relevant.  What's more, we looked at journal usage in
healthcare settings on ScienceDirect and MDConsult
and found that 85+% of usage was captured by articles publised within the
last
four years and 90+% in the last 5 years. For that reason, we made the
decision
that ClinicalKey would launch with jornal content published from 2007 on.
The
current policy is that this is a uilding collection, but we will continue
evaluate the needs of clinicias and may determine it makes most sense to
include the full text for a rolling set of years at some point, but or
now, it
remains building. Just like MD Consult, access to all the content,
including the journals, is on a subscription basis through
ClinicalKey, which means that access is available only as long as a product
subscription is maintained. Truthfully, providing access in this manner is
the
only way we are able to offer such a deep collection of content at a price
that
fits within our customers¹ budgets. That said, if it is important for your
institution to own perpetual access to a book or journal or to a set of
backfiles, we do have ways of providing that via other platforms, like
Journals
Consult. For more information about the back
file or perpetual access options available to you, contact your Elsevier
sales
representative.

What will happen to the Clinics titles available on MD Consult?
The core collection on MD Consult includes only a selected set of Clinicstitles with other Clinics available via an
additional subscription purhase. We are pleased to offer ALL the medical
and
surgical Clinics titles o ClinicalKey. Since Clinics are review journals,
the
initial guidelines we stablished regarding the number of years of content
available and the uilding nature of the collection apply here as well.
Also
like the journas, the ability to add perpetual access or access to back
files is
availabl via Journals Consult.

Why isn¹t the journal Chest included in ClinicalKey
This is a popular title on MD Consult, but it is content that we license
hrough an arrangement with the
American College of Chest Physicians.  We
ar working with the American College of Chest Physicians to extend the
licnse
to ClinicalKey so that we can make this content available there as well

Why can¹t I search within a journal or book?  Why can¹t I search wthin a
journal article
or book chapter?
You can search both within a
jornal or book and within the article or chapter you¹re viewing.  To do
s, simply enter the content that
you¹re interested in through the ClnicalKey search results page, or via
the
"books" or "journals" links in th global navigation. Once
viewing the full html text of the article or chpter, you can then utilize
the
dropdown menu next to the top search bar o refine your search within that
source.  In the next release of ClinicaKey, this
feature will be enhanced even further so you can search withn a journal or
book directly from the Browse without first opening th full text of a
chapter
or article.

Why can¹t I export citation informtion in citation formats?
The need to export citation
information is primarly a research use case. Because of the clinical
orientation of the product,we chose not to include this functionality.
Export
citation tools are availble on Elsevier¹s research-focused platform
ScienceDirect. That said, w have received a lot
of feedback on this, and we will continue to evaluate it for potential
inclusion in the future.

What will happen to my First Consult access?
There have been a number of questions and comments about First Consult in
the past week, as well.  The complete set of 700+ First Consult
clinical monographs is included on ClinicalKe. In addition, the First
Consult
app remains accessible, using your ClinicalKey First Consult or MD
Consult log
in. Therefore, access to the First
Consult point of care nformation remains available to users in a number of
ways. In addition, we recognize the increasing
need for premium point of care resources amongst our users.  For that
reason, we¹re continuing to enhance
our point of care offerings through ClinicalKey and expect to share news
in the
near future regarding expanded coverage of core internal medicine, as well
as
additional sub-specialty and surgical point of care concepts.

Finally, I¹d like to say how grateful I am for the genuine
interest and valuable feedback provided by so many of you over the past
week. W've
already made a number of changes to ClinicalKey based on feedback, and e
have
plans to do more. This is only possible as long as you continu to share
your
thoughts, so I encourage you to contact your Elsevier sales
representative, reply
to me at [log in to unmask], or
visit http:/info.clinicalkey.com for
more information.

Thank you for your interestin ClinicalKey and for exploring
the impact it can have at your institution.

Sincerely,
Diane Bartoli
VP, Global Prduct Development
(ClinicalKey & MD Consult)
Elsevier

On 2/1/13 12:00 AM, "MEDLIB-L automatic digest system"
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>There are 32 messages totaling 1881 lines in this issue.
>
>Topics of the day:
>
>  1. ILL: J Refract Surg. 2008 Jun;24(6):633-8.
>  2. FILLED: ILL: J Refract Surg. 2008 Jun;24(6):633-8.
>  3. LL: EPIDEMIOLOGIE, MIKROBIOLOGIE, IMUNOLOGIE 2009, 58(3):121-3
>  4. ILL-Article Help (2)
>  5. Distance Suppot: Are you interested in discussing topics or
>learning more
>     about it?
>  6. ILL REQUEST: Issue Brief - Health Policy Tracking Service. :1-55,
>2012Dec
>     31
>  7. ILL: THREE ARTICLES
>  . Library closings
>  9. Nominate now for new health librarian/ informationit award!
> 10. ILL: Pazopanib in the treatment of soft tissue sarcoma
> 11. FW: Advanced Power Searching with Google: Challenges 7-12 Released
> 12. Filled: ILL: Pazopanib in the treatment of soft tissue sarcoma
> 13. Ideas for covering the formation of a research question with varying
>     disciplines
> 14. AABB Stanards for Perioperative Autologous Blood Collection and
>     Administration
> 15. SUMMARY: Hospital Archives
> 16. ILL Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2012 Dec 15
> 17. Gabby, the virtual patient avocate
> 18. Ref - Medication to control hemostasis other than epinephrne
> 19. ILL: International Journal of Nursing Education 2012; 4(1):5-7
> 20. 7 day cruise to Bermuda after MLA in Boston on May 10th
> 21. Filled! ILL: International Journal of Nursing Education 2012;
>4(1):5-7
 22. a brag! (2)