]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

MEDLIB-L Home

MEDLIB-L  February 2013, Week 4

MEDLIB-L February 2013, Week 4

SUMMARY: CHAT: One more time - BLS/ACLS/PALS books

Library <[log in to unmask]>

Library <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 28 Feb 2013 13:15:42 -0500

 Happy Thursday,

I expected a number of replies, and I wasn't disappointed! Over 30 of
you responded.  Here are the suggestions - and the fulltext of all the
replies is below if you're interested in reading.

--Collect the books in the classroom and/or do not give certification
card if book not returned.  (This was the most popular by far.)

--Some libraries have borrowers sign a payroll deduction form for the
full price of the book, which is returned to them when the book is
returned.

--Some libraries take a cash or check deposit which is returned when the
book is returned.  If the book is not returned after a couple of
notices, the cash or check is deposited.

--Some libraries charge overdue fines at various rates, and contact the
borrower's department manager if the book is not returned after the
usual round of late notices.

--A couple of libraries stated that they no longer lend the books, they
sell them.

As for being in the regular collection, the responses varied - some had
them in the regular circulation, some kept them in the library office
(which is what we plan to do) and some kept them segregated.

Thank you all for your comments!  We are still negotiating with the life
support office as to what we're going to do.

MY QUESTION WAS:

.

Does anyone have a procedure that actually works and gets the books back
to them on time?  We're toying with a lot of different things right now,
from deposits to making them sign a statement that they will return by a
certain date, etc.  In the past we've had varying results with things
such as having the instructors collect them in class, hounding people
mercilessly until they return, charging late fees.

Also, do you circulate these as a collection item or outside the circ
system?

YOUR REPLIES:

I check them out due at the end of the class they are registered for,
and have a collection spot in the classroom.  That works as well as
anything.

having the instructors collect them in class ...do not give them their
updated card until returned

________________________________

We have two of each, the nursing education dept has several of each too.
If someone doesn't return the book to either of us, the education person
has promised to not give the test taker their certificate.

This threat seems to work.

We check our books out just the same as our regular collection. For the
most part, we get all of them back. Once in awhile if an employee has
left our hospital we don't have a way to get them back, but it happens
few & far between. We send out 2 overdue notices, then finally an
invoice for lost item. If we receive no response at the end of 3 months,
I send them to our dept manager to forward on to the respective managers
of the employee who has checked the item out.

When folks did have to return them here, they turned them in at the end
of class and we got them back from instructor.  If student did not have
their book, they did not receive their certification card.

Do you have fines?

We have overdue fines of $5.00 per item per week- the threat of it seems

work (almost always...there are always a couple people that are late.)

We circulate them the same way we do the other library materials - 2
weeks -

and no renewal if someone else wants the book.

I have done this for around 15 years and it is usually OK.

The books are kept behind the desk (and locked up at night).

They circulate in the regular circ system.

Instructors collect in class.

We gave up on deposits a long time ago.  A nurse running down on a lunch
break often doesn't have money or checkbook.

Our next attempt, was to have them complete a payroll deduction form,
which we would destroy in the book came back appropriately.  People were
even more annoyed by these than they were by the deposits.

We still lose more than we should, and we're not even exactly sure
how...

We use to have a problem of those books not coming back but we devised a
form a couple of years ago that employees sign when they check out a
book and if they don't return it, the cost is payroll deducted.  They're
told this ahead of time when they sign the form.  The cost of the
various books is on the form, so we only have one form for all the
books.  They have to put their employee number on the form; that way we
just send the form to payroll and they deduct the amount highlighted.
If you'd like a copy emailed to you, let me know.  This has cut way down
on missing books! ( I say "we" because the other librarian is on another
campus.)

I keep the books in the library office, separate from the main
collection.  Less chance of walking off. :-)

Luckily I don't have to deal with this here but after reading about
those that do I decided that if it ever got dumped on me I would have
them fill out a payroll deduct form (we do that here) and if they
brought the book back I would give it back to them. If it didn't come
back I would file it and the cost of the book plus a restocking fee
would be deducted from their paycheck.

I catalog each book so it has a bar code and check them out as a normal
library process. Each person is told that the book is due back at the
end of class and I have a box in the classroom to collect the books as
people leave. I check them in right away once I get the box of books.
This works very well and for the occasional person who doesn't return
it, then I send them a polite message to return it and that we hold
their BLS/ACLS card until the book is returned. I have the most trouble
with people who check out a book, but then don't go to the class for
whatever reason.

I keep and check out all of the above. The books are purchased by
various departments.  I think you will always lose a few books, but what
seems to work the best is to have the instructor gather the books at the
end of the class and return them to the library.

Lotsa luck.  With joy in our hearts, my colleague at our partner
hospital and I got out from under loaning these wretched things.  No
matter what we did, people simply would not bring them back.  I went
from 25 copies of the ACLS book to 5 in one year - I sent overdue
notices, notified their bosses, nothing worked.  Signing a statement is
completely useless.  If you collect deposits, they will claim they sent
it back through interoffice mail, that they slid it under the door, that
they gave it to their boss to return for them... I've heard it all.  I'd
guess that having the instructors collect them in class might be about
the best idea.  Will they then bring them to you? Or will you need to
walk across to her office to collect them?

We just gave up.  We SELL them now.  We sell them at cost, cash or check
only.  When they sign up for the class, they are told online, in person
AND on their registration receipt that they must buy the book in the
library.  End of story.  The money goes back into the book-buying
account to buy more.  This is WAY better.   Yes, I've been royally
berated for the intolerable cruelty of this, but I don't care.  It
works.

Oh, what a privilege. =)  We were approached by Nursing Education about
this, and saw our circulation double over the year.  Same for our
overdue fines, same for our lost books. Well, lost books didn't double,
but it felt that way.

They're labeled as Reserve items in our OPAC. Visitors who are just
taking the class here aren't allowed to check them out, only employees
with hospital-issued ID badges can do that.  They also have to register
in our OPAC. We're a little lenient with overdue fines and with the due
date - sometimes a nurse will check the book out a month and a half
before they take the class - but I stress that we charge a fine for
every day the book is late.

This took a lot of coordinating with Nursing Education - they received
complaints that the registration process takes too long, (5 minutes)
that they didn't know they had to give personal information, that my
breath was horrible, etc ad nauseum (not my breath) - but once we ironed
out the kinks, we didn't have many problems.

I would recommend asking for a copy of the brochure/hand-out that the
responsible department gives out for the class, just so you don't find
out they're advertising free books and coffee in the library.

I hope I'm not repeating myself because I responded to someone regarding
this in the past. (Please excuse!) I know that someone taught a course
and that the day of the final exam the student needed to turn in the
book--no book no final exam.  I had heard that this was an effective
method.  Good luck!

We collect a deposit in check form ONLY.  I put the date of the class on
the form and attached the check to it.  I tell the patron he/she has

1 week after the date of the last class, some classes are for 2 days, to
return the book or the check will be cashed.  I usually go through the
forms every couple of months and email those who have not returned their
books.  I usually give them 2 weeks to return the book or I cash their
check.  I make sure they have opened the email before cashing the check
though.

We have talked to our legal dept about using credit cards, but it is
illegal to keep card numbers.

On average, I email 6-10 people every time I go through the forms.  I
get all books back except maybe 1 or 2.

We do NOT give refunds.  I feel that they had plenty of notice:

1) when picking up the book

2) when emailed...I mark the email as high priority and make sure they
actually opened the email before I cash the checks.  If they do not open
the email, I contact their supervisor.  I actually cashed a check for
$340.00 once and he didn't come in to complain.  Since his was such a
large amount I emailed him, contacted his supervisor, called the number
on the check and asked for him to call me and mailed a letter to his
house.  I've noticed that he makes sure his books are returned the day
after his class every time now, lol.

We do have a couple sets of each text on the shelf for a normal check
out for those who do not have checks.

Good luck. We had huge issues.

We toyed with charging full price for them, then refunding it when it
was returned. Before we got as far as actually implementing, they
decided not to do through us anymore (Yay!) I seriously think that the
only way to resolve this is either to do that, or to work with
HR/payroll - have them sign a statement that if it's not returned by
(fill in due date), that the cost will be deducted from their paycheck.

We catalogued them, did it through circ system.

I'd like to hear what you find out.  Ours go out for /months/ at a time.
When they don't come back, I send reminder notices (e-mail), to which a
few respond, a) I sent that back months ago, or b) I gave that to my
colleague Susie, and she said she would return it - didn't she?  Demand
is also too high for the supply of books when any specific class looms
(more requests than copies), yet due to lack of rapid returns, there are
few books if any even during the lulls.

So if someone has a fix, I'm interested.

We've been circulating these books for years and we feel that our system
works well for us.  We circulate these items outside the Circulation
System (Voyager in our case) .  We keep  the books in our workroom and
get them as needed.  We keep colored checkout forms at the Library
Circulation Desk so that the requester can start filling out the form
while we go in the workroom to get the book.

      We've always charged deposits for the books - cash or check only.
Varying amounts ranging from $20 to $50 depending on the book involved.

      We keep the money for each book in a white business envelope that
we keep in the book until it's checked out.   The number on the envelope
corresponds to the number on the book that was borrowed.  BLS book  copy
1 has an envelope inside it labeled copy 1.  Same with ACLS and PALS
books.  They too start with copy 1 labels and envelopes.   We place the
checkout sheet that was signed by the borrower in this same envelope.
Envelopes are placed in a locked cabinet in the workroom.

      We check the BLS books out for 2 weeks and the others out for 3
weeks.  If a book is not returned we do try and email the borrower that
the book is overdue, but if the book  still isn't returned, we put the
cash in with our petty cash or we deposit the check in our book account.

      I've attached copies of the forms we use so you can see what we're
doing.  Please let me know if you have any questions.

We keep these books on reserve, not mixed in with our circulating
collection.  They are due on the day of the class, and are part of the
check off process.  If the book isn't returned to the class, the
instructor holds the certification card until the book is returned.

Minimal losses, but not 100%, if instructors allow books to be passed on
to colleagues and issue cards on trust.

I feel your pain!  I resisted having these books and prep books for
nursing exams in the library simply because people would fight over
them.  Now we have some copies and, yes, they fight over them.  Argh!
We circulate them outside the regular circ system (we just number the
copies of each type of book) and finally resorted to shelving them in
the library office so they no longer disappear at night.  See attachment
- we also put a signout sticker on the front so people can photocopy the
cover, fill out the information, and then give us the sheet of paper.
We keep these in a binder until the book is returned, then toss it out.
Books still come back late and we still lose some, especially to staff
who are fired and inexplicably don't want to come back to return their
library books.

   My only suggestions are to set a finite number of books to be
available in the library, budget for half a dozen replacement copies of
each book during the year, concentrate on the happy faces of those to
whom you can provide a copy, and offer over-the-top sympathy to those to
whom you can't.  Your people will not be left book-less; they can still
buy copies if necessary.  Pretend you are dealing with teenagers.  Works
for me!

Ha ha.  I did have those books but now they are the problem of the
Education office.  I put envelopes and cards in them and marked them
informally with alphabetical letters (actually, some had alphabetical
letters, some had numbers depending on which departments bought them)
and they could only be taken out when I was around because they were in
my office.  They circulated but they were absolutely outside of the
collection.  It seemed to work out but the hounding still occurred.
More than a few were lost and monies recouped.

Run!  Run like the wind!  :-)  Actually, I know one lucky librarian who
has some great ACLS instructors who will not pass or certify staff until
the books are returned.  In my situation the books are in the library,
and catalogued, but they are not purchased out of the library budget.
It's a compromise that seems to work pretty well so far.

We circulate our life support books from the Health Sciences Library.
They are offered to team members only and check out for 3 weeks (no
renewals due to their high demand). Team Members must have a library
registration form on file (or complete a form) before lending out the
life support book(s). Life support books work like any other library
book in that they can 1) be assessed late fees, and 2) be assessed a
replacement charge for those that are not returned.

We are an AHEC Library whose primary patrons are the medical center
employees where the Library is located.

We have purchased our own copies of these BLS/ACLS/PALS and have
cataloged copies that the hospital has given us. Our copies are in our
circulating collection -- the hospital ones are on a shelf behind the
Reference desk. They have minimal processing.

Most of them time this works okay -- it's when they are lost that the
trouble begins.

It's less complicated for us if ALL the books come from the hospital or
ALL come from our own collection rather than having copies of each kind
in circulation. We have a situation right now where a nurse checked out
a Library copy but turned it in to the class instructor along with the
copies she had loaned out just for class use.  We have been trying to
track down our copy for at least two weeks now.

Monetarily speaking, it's a problem for us to replace a copy we
purchased.  If a hospital copy is lost, I inform the hospital contact
and they decide whether to give us more copies. It doesn't cost us
anything other than my cataloging/processing time.

There are pros and cons to either method. The ideal situation would be
for the hospital to purchase, circulate and store all copies and make
them available before the classes -- without our participation.

How about they leave a deposit check with you that will be returned when
the book comes back?

This Library holds them as part of a "special collection" - not on the
shelves. Course participants have to turn up to the Library, with the
covering letter noting the day of their course and exam. We issue the
books to be returned two days after the exam. All participants have to
register with the library.

While it creates some extra work because we do send overdues, it has
been vastly more effective than the previous system which always seemed
to have more people looking for the manuals than there were available
manuals, resulting in frustation and anger.

I have to say the library seems to administer it much better.

We have them in our regular collection.  The training center cooperates
fully with us.  They send out a letter when folks sign up for the class
that tells them that they may not sign the books out until two weeks
before the class.  The letter also states that they must return their
books the day of class or they will not get their certification card.
The teachers give me a list the day of class of the participants and I
indicate who has the books and how many.  They collect them after
testing and before issuing cards.  The only problem that I sometimes
have is when one of the physicians fails to show up for the class.  I
work with their office staff to get those back. I have only lost one
book in four years since we implemented this policy.  That one was paid
for by the physician who claims to have lost it in a move.  Hope this
helps.

We have the ACLS, PALS and NRP books in our collection and had a similar
struggle.  We placed preprinted labels on the front of each book that
read "There are multiple ACLS classes each month for provider and
renewal certification.  Please return all materials promptly so your
colleagues can study."  We also have a sticker that indicates the
replacement cost for the book.

Also our staff sign a payroll deduction form when they check out the
book - so when we send our overdue notices, we remind them of the
replacement cost for the book, and usually we find it in the bookdrop
the next day.   We have only had to charge for two books.

We did this at the last library I worked at (a hospital library), and we
had surprisingly few problems.  We created a form for everyone one to
fill out that listed multiple ways to contact them (home/cell phone,
home email, manager's name/number), plus it stated at the bottom that
they were responsible for returning the book or we would charge them for
it.  We got the okay from the departments and HR to go as far as
garnishing wages (though we never had to do so).

We encouraged the patrons to just return the book to us as soon as the
class was over- thankfully we were just down the hall, so that worked
well.  We also had a couple of drop boxes located near exits to employee
parking areas, which made returns more convenient.

We cataloged and barcoded the books as if they were library materials
(though we didn't purchase them). This made keeping track of them so
much easier!  We had a library volunteer who would go through the list
of checked out items once/week to remind people that their item was due
soon or was past due.  He would then offer to come up to their floor to
collect the book if needed.  If contacting the patron was unsuccessful,
we would then get a hold of the supervisor.  The only real problems were
from a couple of cases where employees had to go on unexpected leave due
to health or family issues.

Having the ACLS/BLS/NRP materials created more work, but it really
raised the visibility of our library and increased the awareness of our
services to staff who didn't even know we existed.

We circulate them just as we do other books, but we try to set due date
for as soon after BLS or ACLS class as they will be back in the
hospital. We try to emphasize at time of check-out that they get 2 weeks
- not 2 months! We're flexible on due date - but long term loans are not
ok.

Our system outsourced the teaching of these classes.  [One library]
provided the books free of charge to students when the classes were
taught in-house.   [The other library] did not, but checked out books
via the library.  Once the classes were outsourced, both libraries
decided to sell the books.  No more free of charge, no more checking
out.    It hasn't been as much trouble as I thought.  We've had a few
complaints but for the most part people are o.k. with buying the books.
We take cash or checks only.  No credit/debit cards, no payroll
deduction.

We let people know the books are also available from Amazon, Barnes &
Noble, etc.

[We do not] think we should have to deal with the selling of the books
(the company that teaches the classes refuses to sell the books) but
it's preferable to circulating them via the library.  [Our] loss and
damage rate was high.  It's amazing how people take care of things when
they have to buy them though.

We hold them as part of our Reserve collection and sign them out for one
week at a time.

We use the hospital staff id's and put their library patron bar code on
the back, so they can practically never say they don't have their
library card.

The hospital purchased a number of these and we police their use.

We are going through this also. At one point we had the books in the
library to be checked out but that became a major headache because staff
would come in at night or weekends and take them without checking them
out so we always had missing books. I am a one person library  and this
became a major hassle so the books went back to our Education Dept where
staff had to go and check out the books and return them to the
instructor on the day of their class. This still caused problems because
staff complained that they could not get books if they worked nights or
weekends.Now we are going to try something new called the Book Nook. The
books will be put in packets with the names of individuals who have
registered for classes and the packets are going to be on a set of
shelves in the library. Staff will go to the Book Nook and find the
packet with their name and sign it out.  Education department staff are
going to be responsible for any missing packets and if they are not
returned, it is the problem of the instructor. Hopefully all I will have
to do is point out the shelves if people are unable to see the signs. If
they have problems they are to call the Education Dept. We are having
these here because staff can swipe into the library after hours and this
provides better access. I am also hoping more staff will realize that
there is a library and perhaps this will market my services a bit.

We are fortunate in that the Life Support staff send out books only to
people in the initial recognition courses.  The renewals do not get
books, as they do the online portion and do not theoretically need
books.

We have some in the libraries, as many staff still want the book.  The
books in the Library are self-check out with cards and pockets.  I send
out overdue notices, but I don't freak out about them not coming back,
and the majority of them come back.  I used to run out of books, but
ordered an additional 50 books and have not run out since and do not
have to worry about time frames.

The Life Support office does not give people their cards until they
return the books or pay for them.  Not sure if you want to have the
cards sent to you, but if you have the books, you could have the Life
Support staff send you the cards and then you could hold the cards until
staff return their books.  Just a thought, but easier than getting a
deposit and returning the deposit.

We too just received this privilege.  I took it on but made it clear
that I was not going to do anything extra-ordinary to get the materials
back.  I have been through several rounds of offering these and returns
are dismal.  But that's par for the course with most of our materials.

We have 12 copies of each book.  We catalog all pieces of resource
individually (book, dvd, cards, etc.) and charge a latee fee PER ITEM
of  25 cents/day.  We are flexible with due date - usually 2-3 days
after class occurs.  If not returned or fines not paid, they call the
manager to help us get the book back.

Madeleine M. Taylor, MLS, MA
Medical Librarian
Health Sciences Library
St. Joseph's Regional Medical Center
703 Main Street
Paterson, NJ 07503
Voice 973-754-3590
Fax 973-754-3593
Email  library @ sjhmc.org
Hospital Website: http://www.stjosephshealth.org
<http://www.stjosephshealth.org/>

I have an unshaken conviction that democracy can never be undermined if
we maintain our library resources and a national intelligence capable of
utilizing them. Franklin D. Roosevelt

*** Important Notice About St. Josephs emails ***
St. Josephs Regional Medical Center is using Zix to encrypt any e-mails containing Protected Health Information (PHI).  If you receive an encrypted email from a person at St. Josephs the body of the message will indicate that you have a "New Zixcorp secure email from St. Josephs Regional Medical Center."  You will need to click on the link in that email to retrieve the message.  For more information please visit http://www.uapguide.com/st-josephs-hospital-and-regional-medical-center/introduction.  For help in retrieving a secure email that youÂ’ve received from St Josephs please go to http://www.uapguide.com/st-josephs-hospital-and-regional-medical-center/receiving-encrypted-email.

CONFIDENTIAL COMMUNICATION
THIS TRANSMISSION IS INTENDED ONLY FOR THE INDIVIDUAL OR ENTITY TO WHICH IT IS ADDRESSED AND CONTAINS INFORMATION THAT IS CONFIDENTIAL. IF YOU HAVE RECEIVED THIS COMMUNICATION IN ERROR, PLEASE DELETE THE EMAIL AND CONTACT THE SENDER IMMEDIATELY. THIS INFORMATION MAY HAVE BEEN DISCLOSED TO YOU FROM CONFIDENTIAL RECORDS AND MAY BE PROTECTED BY FEDERAL AND STATE LAW. THIS INFORMATION MAY INCLUDE CONFIDENTIAL MENTAL HEALTH, SUBSTANCE ABUSE, ALCOHOL ABUSE AND/OR HIV-RELATED INFORMATION. FEDERAL AND STATE LAW PROHIBITS YOU FROM MAKING ANY FURTHER DISCLOSURE OF THIS INFORMATION WITHOUT THE SPECIFIC WRITTEN CONSENT OF THE PERSON TO WHOM IT PERTAINS, OR AS OTHERWISE PERMITTED BY LAW. ANY UNAUTHORIZED FURTHER DISCLOSURE IN VIOLATION OF THE LAW MAY RESULT IN A FINE OR JAIL SENTENCE OR BOTH. A GENERAL AUTHORIZATION FOR THE RELEASE OF THIS INFORMATION MAY NOT BE SUFFICIENT AUTHORIZATION FOR FURTHER DISCLOSURE.