LISTSERV Archives

USDEBATE Home

USDEBATE  March 2013

USDEBATE March 2013

Re: What do we call our activity - BP?

Colin Murphy <[log in to unmask]>

USA Debating in the WUDC Format <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 7 Mar 2013 09:55:18 -0800

I usually describe it as Worlds-style debate or Worlds but when I'm
introducing it to someone who may not be familiar, I usually add an "a.k.a.
BP" to the designation. Yeah, it's a mouthful.

I'm not quite as concerned as Tuna and some others about using the word
"British" in the title. To me, it seems to acknowledge the format's roots in
Parliament, rather than possession by a particular nation or people.
Besides, if we call it BP, won't it be that much more satisfying when the
USA starts to dominate the circuit?

Ultimately, we should agree on one name and that name should probably be the
same as whatever the rest of the world calls it.