Summary of Citation Management Survey

Amy Blevins <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 2 Apr 2013 14:06:16 -0500

Good afternoon, everyone,

As promised, here are the results of the survey I sent out about citation
management software programs. Thank you for responding and my apologies for
the late summary.

There were 64 responses.

*What citation management software programs do you support at your library?*

Refworks - 53%
EndNote - 63%
Zotero - 27%
Mendeley - 17%
Papers - 6%
Other - 11% (Reference manager, APA PERRLA)

*Which citation management software do you prefer or recommend the most
often?*

Refworks - 41%
EndNote - 44%
Zotero - 17%
Mendeley - 11%
Papers - 2%
Other - 5% (No specific answers, but I'm assuming this would be Reference
Manager or APA PERRLA)

*Which is your least favorite citation management software?*

Refworks - 26%
EndNote - 13%
Zotero - 22%
Mendeley - 26%
Papers -9%
Other - 15%

*What challenges have you experienced with any of the before-mentioned
software programs? Please include the name of the program and a brief
description of the challenges faced.*

- No real challenges when it comes to RefWorks. The challenges have been
with EndNote and dealing with the updates and getting users to understand
how to full utilize the program.

- RefWorks - Write-n-Cite portion is quite difficult to get installed at
times. Their instructions do not include Apple devices which makes it hard
for using it on a MacBook. It involves some trial and error with getting it
installed and running. The "Not in Folder" folder in RefWorks is super
confusing.

- I find Refworks lags quite a bit and is very slow.

- the challenge is just the time devoted to training and support.

- The lack of intuititveness in Zotero I find the most challenging - users
are flummoxed by the littler things, like how to import references.

 - Mendeley - one of the big advertised features is easily importing
citations from your address bar but I frequently have difficulty doing
this. Regardless I have found it pretty useful - I like just putting in the
PMID and then getting the whole abstract. I also like that I can
right-click to simply copy the citation. That is often all that I
personally want - a quick way to get standardized citations to a patron
when I am searching all over the place. For larger research projects I have
the most experience using RefWorks which has been supported at my two
previous places of employment (universities; I am in a hospital now). I
find trying to suppport write-n-cite to be challenging. It is slow and can
be tough to manage importing and sorting your documents but if you have a
good system going I do find it reliable and it's nice that you can share
easily. Weird problem with RefWorks is that if you are associated with more
than 1 institution, and it is IP authenticated, that can be hard. I was on
campus of School B but using resources from School A's library site
remotely, and trying to export them to refworks was very tough because it
kept wanting me to log in to my School B refworks account. It was hard to
force RefWorks to let me log in as School A but harder still to export that
school's citations. Would have been fine if I was off campus from both but
unfortunately I was in School B's IP range. I mostly used Zotero to get
lots of Google Scholar citations (seems to be the only way apart from
exporting them one at a time), however 2 years ago when I did this my
google access would frequently get blocked and I would have to go to a
different computer/location. Tough for doing a systematic review. Zotero
must have been making too many requests of the site. Basically none is
perfect for me but I will keep trying... One I don't see listed here is
cite-u-like, I think I have signed up but not tried it. Good luck, looking
forward to the results!!

- Actually, it seems that the program more user friendly is Zotero. We have
faced challenges not only did the change to Refworks Zotero, and our users
are happy. The challenge for libraries is if you have a subscription
program, ensuring the continuity of the subscription in time, so we prefer
to Zotero. Please share the survey results.

- Students love it but it does not import.

- I know EndNote was CD-dependent when we decided on RefWorks. Not sure if
that is still the case. However, we still have a few faculty that use
EndNote on their own because that's all they've known. We get good feedback
about RefWorks.

- I have only used ENDNOTE so I have no other product that is the "least
favorite". It is pretty easy and I can teach an intro class to it in about
1 hour.

- Mendeley is particularly difficult because of potential copyright issues.

- We have been endnote users for many years so I have not explored others.
Our users demand endnote and would burn the place down if we tried to
switch! Endnote usually has a new release each year that comes with the
subscription. It takes a bit of coordinating with the IT folks to get the
files up on our server so that folks can download it. Many people run into
trouble when they haven't upgraded their software in a while and I can tell
you this happens quite often. Problems are often encountered when trying to
edit styles but I think that sometimes the software is a bit buggy. Of
course this happens when a grant is due or when trying to get a paper out
and they want us to come over and fix their mess. Endnote support has been
fairly helpful, but they don't do anything to keep the manager informed of
changes; you have to be proactive with them. Classes on endnote and
advanced endnote are popular

-  Refworks has gotten better since they updated the user interface, but it
still costs money. Zotero is limited to Firefox unless you find a good
connector app to the other browsers. Mendeleev works across everything, and
is my favorite. I have no experience with Papers and Endnote.

- frequent upgrades (EndNote generally has 1/year), makes upgrades slow to
be approved, given the magnitude of the installed base. We moved a year ago
from EndNote 7(!) to EndNote x4 - it took 2 years of planning and training.\

- RefWorks requires that an individual has administrative permissions to
download the Write-N-Cite (WNC)) which many faculty don't have. (WNC allow
individuals to drop citations into a Word document.) The newest version of
RefWork's WNC is more complicated than the earlier versions and requires a
little more training for the user. However, we were the first campus wide
purchase many years ago and we have found it to be a great tool for many
users. We often use Refworks to open doors for the library, for example,
the Library helped our univeristy to build a faculty bibliography using
RefWorks. It is great for creating & sharing records, organizing & saving
documents, accessing full-text journal articles, and as a current TOC
option. The Library teaches it to students in all health sciences
professional schools. We also train faculty on it for as a tool for their
promotion & tenure, grant projects, and class preparation activities. It
does have a version for Macs. The newest WNC has doesn't work with Word
2013 but RefWorks is working on this issue so the older WNC has to be used
for now as a work around. Everyone here loves RefWorks.

- Limitations with web plug-in.

- Work arounds

- I work in a health sciences area where serious research is being
conducted. RefWorks is great for an undergraduate working on a term paper,
but not for a researcher who must organize data on a variety of topics and
subtopics. EndNote and Mendeley have robust features that meet our
researchers' needs.

- I am not familiar with some of the programs. These programs are not
intuitive and have a learning curve that many do not wish to follow.

- EndNote is preferred among scientific publishers but it is more expensive
than RefWorks and most researchers need more than EndNote web. EndNote is
too expensive for our institution to have a site license. So we have a site
license to RefWorks. Researchers who do a lot of work at different
computers and home often use Refworks. Researchers who don't want to pay
for a personal copy of EndNote use Refworks. However because many
scientific publications prefer EndNote we still have a large group of
EndNote users so we have a subscription to EndNote for 2 library computers
for training purposes. We train and help people with EndNote. We don't have
the money to have it installed on all of the library public computers. We
also train and help people with RefWorks. We do not train or help people
with Zotero, Mendeley, or Papers since scientific journals don't use these
products and don't consider them.
- We have EndNote Web for our students (in a university setting), but I
choose to teach Zotero since it is free and they will be able to use it
after they graduate. Our challenge is to stress that these types of
software are not replacements for basic knowledge of how to cite materials
correctly. The software is a huge help, but it does get things wrong when
importing items. We get facutly complaining that the students rely 100% on
the software and don't review their bibliographies for mistakes.

- Endnote does not work well in Mac OS and definitely does not work in
Safari browser. Works OK with Chrome and the nest with Firefox in Macs.

- Refworks is jut not user friendly. EndNot is far more seamless for the
user. I like Zotero for faculty who have folders of PDFs on their computers
because it can pull metadata from the individual documents (not all of the
time, but frequently). I haven't really used Mendeley or Papers. I am a
die-hard EndNote user and use it over RefWorks, which is currently supplied
by the institution where I work. I am still using it from a previous
institutions and simply refuse to switch.

- We have the network version 11.0 (we see no need to go to 12, the
features are not substantially different). limitiations of network software
are showing - no Mac version, no way to work off - site as it doesn't run
well under citrix (nor does Endnote). We are considering moving to Mendeley
as the corporate standard, although it has some limitations (handling of
duplicates, journal abbreviations, difficult to edit styles are the main
ones). i will continue to use Reference Manager to build databases for
systematic reviews, but I no longer really recommend it for end users.

- We have a subsription to Refworks for our state-wide healthcare system,
and unfortunately we aren't seeing much use. We've had it for a year and
have an average of 1-4 users a month. Granted, we're a hospital system and
not connected with an academic center, so that's a little different. I am
thinking of canceling our subscription and just encouraging Zotero (that's
the free one, right?)

- (previous question didn't leave a box for "please describe"). I use
EndNote because our institution has a subscription, and it's part of my job
to create tutorials for it, and provide instructional sessions on its use.
But, I much prefer Zotero. Zotero automatically senses proxy servers and
signs users in "seamlessly," and Zotero automatically attaches available
PDFs - EndNote does not do this.- N/A

- Number/subject areas of styles-Zotero,Papers Charge for sharing with more
than two other users-Mendelay
- Zotero works very well with PubMed and our other core health databases,
but does not work at all with Ex Libris' Primo discovery system. RefWorks
Write N Cite has my least favorite interface. A year or so ago, it still
did not play well with Macs and thus I stopped using it for my personal
research. I wish Zotero supported custom fields. I find EndNote easier to
use when working on big project like a systematic review.. This thread was
started by a researcher with similar concerns:
http://forums.zotero.org/discussion/18587/custom-fields-on-the-radar-at-all/
- RefWorks recently changed its Write n Cite software & there have been
some glitches with that. But, otherwise, no problems. Really, no problems
with either RefWorks or EndNote
- EndNote cost and frequent upgrades, clunky interaction with ENWeb,
collaboration is harder. RefWorks requires extra steps to attach PDFs to
records. Zotero appears simple on the surface but has a significant
learning curve to use well\ Mendeley has given difficulty with word
processor integration Paper seems like it does not interact all that well
with PubMed
- EndNote & EndNote Web. TIME We teach this for many classes and programs
from undergrad through PHD and support the entire campus. So it is fairly
time consuming to answer the questions that come in, particularly with new
users. Also time consuming is assisting with creating output styles and
other more advanced features. Of course Mac and Windows programs look
different, too. EndNote support is wonderful and we use lots of their
training videos on our LibGuide.
- Again, no preference. Sorry.

- I don't have a least favorite software, since I have not had the
opportunity to use citation management for anything other than gathering
citation. The challenge is knowing how to use the software without having a
practical need to use it...yet.

- Endnote wouldn't work with our network at the time reviewed. Never really
got comfortable with it myself as a student.

- EndNote: challenge to keep up with versioning; they are always releasing
patches which makes it difficult to support. Also, the interface is
different between Windows and Mac and EndNote web, making it increasingly
difficult to teach to students. RefWorks: the integration with Word is not
that great and can cause frustration with users. Zotero: does not have
enough styles available, does not always import references correctly, does
not work with Word well. Mendeley: have not explored this enough to have a
strong opinion. Some users really love it because it's easy to just sit
down and use. I also really like the social features avaialble in Mendeley
and Zotero- very useful for literature discovery and it's fun to share.
Mendeley is great for PDF management and sharing, but not so great for
writing manuscripts. I am also creeped out that Mendeley is activitly
collecting user statistics on what users are reading. That has competetive
implications and is something to think about. I don't have enough
experience with Papers to have much of an opinion, but the people who use
it love it, and I have heard it's the best product on the market, though
only available for Macs. All of these products have strengths and
weakenesses, and I actually use all of them for one reason or another. For
a productivity workhorse for writing manuscripts, I think EndNote is
probably the most functional but also the hardest to learn and use.
- I find the interface to RefWorks to be clunky - I don't think it is set
up logically. I have to look for something under multiple tabs before I
find what I am looking for. The sharing of resources is more difficult than
in Endnote web.
- Mendeley by default offers to upload all pdfs that you have. This is
contrary to our copyright and licensing agreements with porviders which
allows single use copies only. We also don't want the IT burden of keeping
everyones electronic copy of every article. RefWorks does work with a link
resolver which our clients really appreciate!
- EndNote -- yearly updates mean that we often have users with different
versions in their office. However, we find that about 6 months after
release is when "most" everyone who comes to class has the latest version,
while consultations about EndNote range anywhere from software from about 6
years ago to current time. Last 2 updates have made some
rearranging-of-files updates which takes extra time to learn best ways to
deal with it. Occasionally, they have good updates and sometimes, they
completely miss the mark with updates - such as they online search
"feature" they added about 4 years ago - what a mess! They just got around
to fixing that this past Fall -- 4 1/2 years later. Refworks - recent
changes to their Write-n-Cite tool created issues especially for the locked
down lab computers. Many schools chose not to update it, however, that
opinion may be changing with upcoming updates. On the plus side of updates,
other than the Write-n-Cite tool, everyone is on the same version of the
program. Sometimes, it is confusing for users to know where to click to
make something happen - such as viewing a folder or adding citations to a
specific folder. Zotero - has steadily been improving and I particularly
like how it handles web pages, but its interface is very different than the
others I'm used to. I often don't keep as up to date on this one simply
because it so different. Functionality is similar, however - capture a
citation and use it in a paper. One of the problems I've encountered is
that occasionally, it gets agressive with trying to process all RIS file
types. It usually happens on shared computers and if I want to use a
different program (e.g., EndNote or Refworks) I have to first dig into the
settings to turn that off so I can put citations in the program I want.
Mendeley -- is pretty good, especially given that it is free (limited space
tho'). Its focus for adding citations is different - preferring to upload
PDFs or watch an entire folder for new PDFs, so that can be tricky
especially for the novice. I keep up with the updates and cover it in
citation overview workshops, but we don't have many people needing
assistance with (or perhaps using) this program, so I'm not as clued in to
problems it may have. Mostly, we deal with EndNote & RefWorks.
- EndNote is very slow in our teamwork situation: library and filters /
styles / connections are located on a filserver
- Zoetrope classifies aspects of the citation incorrectly.
- Refernce manager. They have not created a new version in years. NOt many
tutorials or descriptions as to how to work with databases availble.

- Of the options you list that I am familiar with, my least favorite
citation management software is Mendeley. Our users are primarily looking
for the ability to quickly create reference lists. Mendeley is more
oriented towards finding other people's papers and connecting with other
users. I also disliked how often I would get emails from the company.Happy
to use RefWorks or EndNote. Have a little experience of Zotero, no real
experience of Mendeley and none at all of Papers!
- Although I haven't actually used it, it appeared from what I read, that
Zotero is't cloud based and thus more limited to what I'm used to,
RefWorks. RW has made some terrific enhancements over the last few years
and I really like it.
- Zotero's challenge is that is is essentially tied to one computer through
the web browser extension. Therefore I don't recommend it to students even
though it is an excellent product unless I know that they do all their
research on one laptop, and not on other computers including computer lab.
- EndNote can have a few challenges, especially if it is not installed
correctly. The latest version of EndNote, X6, requires software patches to
work correctly.

- Mendeley doesn't let you make custom output styles unless you know
programming language.

*Why do you prefer or recommend the before-mentioned software the most?
(added after the survey had been answered a few times)
*-EndNote  It is paid for by the University for the campus (but not the
medical center) and many students and faculty use it.
- Actually, what I wanted to say is that I have no preference. Our previous
library director selected RefWorks before I was involved.
- RefWorks I am not familiar with the others
- EndNote: Graduate students for my subject department are encouraged to
use this particular software.
- RefWorks Easy to use, accessed from anywhere by Internet and good
database for medical journal requirements.
- EndNote is the most heavily used citation management product in science
and medicine. It also has the most robust integration with Microsoft Word.
I would recommend RefWorks, which I prefer, but my institution does not
have a license. I like that RefWorks is web-based, easy to use, and it's
easy to share citations with others. EndNote Web can do these things, but
it's much clunkier and more difficult. I also use Zotero in my daily work
because it easily captures web pages.

- RefWorks - because the library has a subscription to it and it is totally
funded from the library budget.

- We only have the web versions of Endnote and Refworks. I prefer Endnote,
but we don't pay for the 'upgraded' version of endnote web that can attach
PDFs. I recommend RefWorks as students can link the full text of the
article.
- RefWorks does work with a link resolver which our clients really
appreciate! We also enjoy it's online fucntion which allow multiple people
to use an account to share information.
- I selected "other" because one program does not fit all people & all
needs. Sometimes, a desktop version works better for the person than a
web-based one, or who they collaborate with has a role in deciding.
Sometimes, visually, one makes more sense than the other and especially for
students, price can be an issue to consider. My recommendation is based on
a discussion with the person and sometimes, we quickly go through several
programs to compare them. For a while, (before Zotero & Mendeley were
strong contenders) I would recommend Bookends for Mac users - it often made
more sense to them than the others, but it is another purchased program. It
is difficult to quantify one over the other in a general recommendation.
- EndNote is a classical standard, easier to use than Reference Manager
which is also used in Belgium, edition of styles / import filters /
connexion is very easy and flexible (I remmebr having produced html code
from EndNote resulting in webpages with bibliography) Zotero is free and
has a toolbar for Microsoft Word and Open Office, it is open source
Mendeley is to compare with Zotero , but the fact it is a stand alon app is
an advantage (Zotero being a firefox plugin is sometimes confusing) and a
disadvantage (you need to administrate your computer to install

- EndNote It is the only one that can handle the demands of systematic
reviews.
- Refworks is paid for by the Libraies. Totally Internet based and easy to
tech
- This question and the previous question both ask two different things. I
recommend RefWorks most often because it is the software we subscribe to
and it is powerful when you know how to use it. Unfortunately, there is a
big learning curve and finding the most current documentation/help
information is a challenge. I prefer Zotero because it is much more
intuitive. It also grabs the information for you -- thought it is always a
good idea to double-check it. The main downsides to it are that you can
only use it in certain browsers and that it is easy to run over the account
size for the free accounts.
- EndNote Professionalism

- Would recommend RefWorks to anyone who wants to use citation management
software off campus.

- We recommend whatever they might be able to get, either already provided
by their institution (for returning students) or freely available.
- I prefer zotero personally because I work from my laptop on FF. The
zotero extension works pefectly. .
- I am very well-versed in the software, and EndNote is great for
researchers in the health sciences. I use it on a daily basis and it's a
great way to keep my research organized and quickly available.
- Refworks and EndNote. Several librarians are adept users of these
programs and can teach/support users effectively.
- EndNote Can do a lot more customization. Mendeley doesn't let you make
custom output styles unless you know programming language.

*Amy Blevins, MALS*

Clinical Education Librarian

Hardin Library for the Health Sciences

600 Newton Road

Iowa City, IA 52242

[log in to unmask]   or [log in to unmask]

Phone: 319-335-7636

Fax: 319-353-3752