]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

MEDLIB-L Home

MEDLIB-L  April 2013, Week 1

MEDLIB-L April 2013, Week 1

Re: Summary of Citation Management Survey

William Gunn <[log in to unmask]>

William Gunn <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 2 Apr 2013 13:42:42 -0700

Good afternoon everyone, and thanks to Amy for sharing the results. I'd
like to take the opportunity to respond on-list to a few of the issues
raised about Mendeley.

The Web Importer (browser bookmarklet): We support all the major catalogs
and hundreds more sites which have COinS metadata embedded in them. There's
a partial list here: http://www.mendeley.com/import/ Occasionally, a
publisher will make a change to their site and the importer will begin to
fail. When that happens we usually have it fixed right away but sometimes
it may take a few days. If there's a site which we don't support which is
important to you, please let me know, or investigate adding COinS to the
pages you'd like to enable Mendeley to import from. Many scientific
publishers such as Highwire, PLOS, PNAS, and BMC have "Share to Mendeley"
buttons on their pages as well:
http://blog.mendeley.com/academic-features/easy-one-click-addition-of-papers-from-highwire-press-bmc-plos-arxiv-and-more/

The Word plugin and CSL: The Word plugin has been recently updated for the
Mac, so the speed should be much improved there, and we are now shipping a
CSL editor in the latest version fo Mendeley, so you no longer need to be
able to edit XML in order to edit citation styles. More info on this is
available here:
http://blog.mendeley.com/academic-features/make-your-citations-look-exactly-how-they-should-with-mendeleys-visual-citation-style-editor/

Copyright: We are DMCA compliant, so in the US, no institution is liable
for infringement claims, which aren't a risk anyways because our system
doesn't allow unrestricted sharing with anyone. Authors generally have the
rights to host copies of their work on their personal web profiles and we
ask them to confirm they have the rights before making their work available
from their own profile. The social features of Mendeley don't currently
support unrestricted public sharing of documents, but rather only metadata.
More on this here:
http://blog.mendeley.com/academic-features/self-archiving-with-mendeley/

Privacy: Mendeley anonymously aggregates information about readership
patterns of documents and only this anonymized aggregated information can
be accessed, so you can see how many people are reading a document, but not
which people those are. You can see what data we make publicly available
here: http://dev.mendeley.com

Overall it seems like many people are less aware fo Mendeley relative to
Endnote, which makes sense as we've only been around for 5 years now, so
I'll attribute our relative unpopularity to this, but I would like to
invite everyone to learn more about Mendeley through one of our webinars
and events ( http://www.mendeley.com/events/ ), our Resource Center (
http://mendeleyresourcecenter.com/ ), or to join our librarians group  (
http://www.mendeley.com/groups/1109431/mendeley-for-librarians-public-no-files-in-here/)
and learn about it from one of your colleagues.

I hope this helps get people more up-to-date with what's going on at
Mendeley and if you have any more questions, please don't hesitate to ask,
either on or off-list.

--
William Gunn | Head of Academic Outreach | +1 646 755 9862
http://www.mendeley.com/profiles/william-gunn