I don't post here much, but this is something I care very deeply about and want to make sure a relatively silent minority is heard here.
Firstly, I would like to thank Ithaca for putting together a great bid on shorter notice than we would normally expect; I'm certainly appreciative of their willingness to put themselves out there.
That being said, I know I, a number of others on the Brandeis team, and a huge number of people on APDA (like Sam) would be extremely disappointed if the tournament is held on the proposed weekend. Not only do I think this is bad for me personally, but I think it is terrible for the integrity of the national championships if debaters have to make the difficult decisions between debating at two national championships in two styles they love. The reality is that a number of the best BP debaters come from APDA, and without them there it simply becomes less prestigious.
I'd be interested to see what Ithaca thinks about holding it on the first weekend of April as Tuna suggested. If not, if any schools (like Grove City) are thinking about bidding on another weekend, I think I speak on behalf of most when I say they would feel our deepest gratitude.
I am not trying to be a pain in the butt, but insofar as our reigning National Champions are from APDA, and insofar as the vast majority of APDA debaters who competed at USUs this past year made the break, I think it is in everyone's best interest to make this happen. If not, I suppose people like Sam and others will be out of luck, but I hope we don't get hasty and let that happen.
Needless to say, I am absolutely willing to help out in finding a place to make this happen, though I am not sure what I can do in that respect. My inbox is always open.
Thanks so much,
Sent from my iPhone
On May 9, 2013, at 3:12 PM, Paul Gross <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Hey all,
> I'm writing as a concerned citizen of the US BP/WUDC debate community.
> I participated in 4 USU National Debating Championships during my time as an undergrad, and I want to ensure that other debaters continue to have that chance.
> Currently, a bid exists from Ithaca College. I have heard rumors of a Grove City bid but don't know if one exists.
> Regardless, I'm worried that if we don't act soon, the bid that does exist may disappear and we will have no USU at all. This would be bad.
> I am willing to participate in whatever efforts it takes to decide where USU will be. I will spearhead efforts, if necessary.
> Either way, it seems like this decision needs to be made soon.
> Paul Gross