I think that we can all agree that it would be better to avoid a conflict with APDA nationals. (Guaranteeing a 2 week buffer between the two national tournaments is MUCH less compelling.) As has been pointed out, if these tournament were on the same weekend, then many of the top BP teams would face a difficult and unfortunate choice between two important and prestigious tournaments. Similarly, a conflict between BP Nationals and the Round Robin, would force many of the top BP teams to face a difficult and unfortunate choice between two important and prestigious tournaments. The time of the RR is not as flexible as you might expect, since time is needed for people to submit at-large applications after Worlds, then for decisions by a committee on those applications, and then sufficient time for making international travel arrangements, including US visa applications. Extensive reservations have already been made for the 2014 RR to be held on the first weekend in April. Colgate University has already made arrangements to hold their 2014 tournament on the last weekend in March in order to facilitate the long-standing cooperation between their tournament and the RR.
The larger point is that because predictability is so important in planning, if at all possible, BP Nationals should be kept on the second weekend in April. Any decision to change this should be done so that others have sufficient time to change other plans. That is why I added this agenda item to the discussion at BP Nationals this year (about having bids for BP Nats submitted 2 years in advance).
Concerning Ithaca's bid in particular, I talked to Scott Thomson last week about the date of his tournament and he said that he was going to look into the possibility of moving it to the second weekend in April. I am hopeful that his administration will be able to work with him on this.
My understanding was that we would try to make a final decision about the 2015 BP Nats bids in the fall, at the new North American UDC. Are we going to try to make a decision on the 2014 bid before then, or will we do that also at the NA UDC? There should be some kind of a public deadline, don't you think? When should we expect bids from Cape Cod and Grove City (both programs I respect and would be happy to support)?
Hobart and William Smith Colleges
Public Policy Program
[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
On May 9, 2013, at 4:06 PM, Brad Burns wrote:
I don't post here much, but this is something I care very deeply about and want to make sure a relatively silent minority is heard here.
Firstly, I would like to thank Ithaca for putting together a great bid on shorter notice than we would normally expect; I'm certainly appreciative of their willingness to put themselves out there.
That being said, I know I, a number of others on the Brandeis team, and a huge number of people on APDA (like Sam) would be extremely disappointed if the tournament is held on the proposed weekend. Not only do I think this is bad for me personally, but I think it is terrible for the integrity of the national championships if debaters have to make the difficult decisions between debating at two national championships in two styles they love. The reality is that a number of the best BP debaters come from APDA, and without them there it simply becomes less prestigious.
I'd be interested to see what Ithaca thinks about holding it on the first weekend of April as Tuna suggested. If not, if any schools (like Grove City) are thinking about bidding on another weekend, I think I speak on behalf of most when I say they would feel our deepest gratitude.
I am not trying to be a pain in the butt, but insofar as our reigning National Champions are from APDA, and insofar as the vast majority of APDA debaters who competed at USUs this past year made the break, I think it is in everyone's best interest to make this happen. If not, I suppose people like Sam and others will be out of luck, but I hope we don't get hasty and let that happen.
Needless to say, I am absolutely willing to help out in finding a place to make this happen, though I am not sure what I can do in that respect. My inbox is always open.
Thanks so much,
Sent from my iPhone
On May 9, 2013, at 3:12 PM, Paul Gross <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>> wrote:
I'm writing as a concerned citizen of the US BP/WUDC debate community.
I participated in 4 USU National Debating Championships during my time as an undergrad, and I want to ensure that other debaters continue to have that chance.
Currently, a bid exists from Ithaca College. I have heard rumors of a Grove City bid but don't know if one exists.
Regardless, I'm worried that if we don't act soon, the bid that does exist may disappear and we will have no USU at all. This would be bad.
I am willing to participate in whatever efforts it takes to decide where USU will be. I will spearhead efforts, if necessary.
Either way, it seems like this decision needs to be made soon.