]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

USDEBATE Home

USDEBATE  May 2013

USDEBATE May 2013

Re: USU 2014. Ithaca College? Other bids?

"Barnes, R Eric" <[log in to unmask]>

USA Debating in the WUDC Format <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 9 May 2013 21:10:33 +0000

Hey Everyone,

I think that we can all agree that it would be better to avoid a conflict with APDA nationals.  (Guaranteeing a 2 week buffer between the two national tournaments is MUCH less compelling.)  As has been pointed out, if these tournament were on the same weekend, then many of the top BP teams would face a difficult and unfortunate choice between two important and prestigious tournaments.  Similarly, a conflict between BP Nationals and the Round Robin, would force many of the top BP teams to face a difficult and unfortunate choice between two important and prestigious tournaments.  The time of the RR is not as flexible as you might expect, since time is needed for people to submit at-large applications after Worlds, then for decisions by a committee on those applications, and then sufficient time for making international travel arrangements, including US visa applications.  Extensive reservations have already been made for the 2014 RR to be held on the first weekend in April.  Colgate University has already made arrangements to hold their 2014 tournament on the last weekend in March in order to facilitate the long-standing cooperation between their tournament and the RR.

The larger point is that because predictability is so important in planning, if at all possible, BP Nationals should be kept on the second weekend in April.  Any decision to change this should be done so that others have sufficient time to change other plans.  That is why I added this agenda item to the discussion at BP Nationals this year (about having bids for BP Nats submitted 2 years in advance).

Concerning Ithaca's bid in particular, I talked to Scott Thomson last week about the date of his tournament and he said that he was going to look into the possibility of moving it to the second weekend in April.  I am hopeful that his administration will be able to work with him on this.

My understanding was that we would try to make a final decision about the 2015 BP Nats bids in the fall, at the new North American UDC.  Are we going to try to make a decision on the 2014 bid before then, or will we do that also at the NA UDC?  There should be some kind of a public deadline, don't you think?  When should we expect bids from Cape Cod and Grove City (both programs I respect and would be happy to support)?

Best,
Eric

Eric Barnes
Hobart and William Smith Colleges