]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

MEDLIB-L Home

MEDLIB-L  May 2013, Week 5

MEDLIB-L May 2013, Week 5

Re: Health resources in statewide database collections?... WAS: RE: Teaching PubMed to nursing BSN's

"Sessi, Jayse" <[log in to unmask]>

Sessi, Jayse

Thu, 30 May 2013 17:54:44 +0000

I live in North Carolina which has NCLive (Nursing List  http://www.nclive.org/browse/nursing  or full list of databases http://www.nclive.org/browse) and since our firm's main office is in Georgia,  I know that state has Galileo http://about.galileo.usg.edu/institutions/database_listing/

The CINAHL with Full Text and Medline are available for searching in NCLive, but my experience has been that the full text access varies based on the institution through which you access the system.
Therefore, if you are searching via a Public Library System you will have less full text access then if you are accessing the database from a university or college.

So even though the databases are available, the full text articles might be still be difficult to obtain.

I also find that many people in our area don't even know about NCLive or PubMed.  I was really surprised when my son's high school Honor's Biology teacher had never heard of either and yet in the class intro session to parents she mentioned they would have to write a research paper and Wikipedia was not an acceptable source (which was fine by me). So I asked if she was going to introduce them to PubMed and NCLive and she asked me "What is that",  I was shocked. This teacher has a Master's and teaching Honors Biology and other advance science courses and had never heard of PubMed?  Nor NCLive?

Jayse Sessi, MLS
Reference Librarian / Alston & Bird, LLP /4721 Emperor Blvd, Suite 400/ Durham, NC 27703
919-862-2244