]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

MEDLIB-L Home

MEDLIB-L  June 2013, Week 2

MEDLIB-L June 2013, Week 2

SUMMARY (final): Health resources in statewide database collections?... WAS: RE: Teaching PuMed to nursing BSN's

"Aspri, Jo-Anne" <[log in to unmask]>

Aspri, Jo-Anne

Tue, 11 Jun 2013 15:22:43 -0400

THANK YOU everyone, this is a treasure trove of information!  Very interesting to see the various approaches that the different states have taken to provide their citizens--consumers as well as professionals-with health information. 20 states reported, and included were many interesting observations and comments about these resources. Unfortunately, some of those I was asked not to share.

Here is what I received (edited/paraphrased/combined dupes for formatting purposes):

===========================
ALASKA has the Digital Pipeline at http://sled.alaska.edu/databases/.   Databases in this collection with content useful for nurses are Academic Search Premier, Alt Healthwatch, Consumer Health Complete, MedicLatina, Medline, Teen Health & Wellness, Health Source: Nursing/Academic Edition, Psychology and Behavioral Sciences Collection.   Staff at the Alaska Medical Library try to make nurses aware of this resource during all their outreach activities, and maintain a brochure they provide to all the healthcare providers they register through AML's hospital, state agency, and clinic contracts, but it is still a wonderful resource not widely known.

In July I will be taking over our academic library's fee-based research service for external clients, and I expect to be promoting this resource widely as I start working with the community.

===========================
ARIZONA-- we have the Arizona health Information network (AZHIN) which just celebrated its 20th anniversary.  You can find out more info on it at http://azhin.org/home

===========================
ARKANSAS Licensed health professionals in Arkansas have access to DynaMed.

===========================
FLORIDA: http://www.flelibrary.org/ Click HEALTH

===========================
GEORGIA, has Galileo http://about.galileo.usg.edu/institutions/database_listing /

===========================
INDIANA has a state suite of databases called INSPIRE.  INSPIRE contains a nursing database with some full text articles.

============================
KANSAS provides ProQuest Nursing & Allied Health Source with some full-text. http://proquest.umi.com/pqdweb?RQT=573&TS=1207839805&clientId=67729&LASTSRCHMODE=1   (need login)

============================
KENTUCKY provides access to a variety of databases http://www.kyvl.org/databases.shtm   including Ebsco's CINAHL with Full-Text, Ebsco Medline, and PsycInfo as part of the Kentucky Virtual Library (KYVL) package of databases.   Also Academic Search Premier and a number of other databases  Our hospital which is fairly large pays under $3500 each year to get access to all these resources.  All the colleges and universities  plus most of the public libraries and a number of school libraries in the State get access via membership in the Kentucky Virtual Library.

============================
MAINE, the collection of databases is called MARVEL (Maine's Virtual Library), http://libraries.maine.edu/mainedatabases/  and one can select HEALTH... In that subcategory, there are a number of EBSCOhost health related databases:

- Academic Search Complete
- Biomedical Reference Collection: Basic
- Health Source: Nursing and Academic Edition
- Nursing and Allied Health Collection: Basic.

Technically, MARVEL is only available to residents of Maine - I don't know what happens if you try to search it. If it's used from a library in Maine, users just click and go. Home users (or any non-inhouse library use) should be asking for a username and password. To get a username and password, one is supposed to register using their local library card and info found on the card.

As for funding,  from the MARVEL page:
Funding comes from the Maine State Legislature and the joint efforts of Maine State Library, University of Maine, Colby, Bates, Bowdoin Colleges, the Public Utilities Commission, and MTEAF (Maine Telecommunications Educational Access Fund), commonly known as state E-rate. This collaboration makes statewide licensing of MARVEL! resources extremely cost effective and provides these resources for every school, library and resident of Maine.

============================
MASSACHUSETTS  http://www.masslibsystem.org/databases/statewide-databases/ mostly Gale http://mblc.state.ma.us/grants/licenses/index.php including Nursing Resource Center

============================
MICHIGAN has ...MEL [Michigan Electronic Library]...Health & Wellness Gateway...Included are...

Health and Wellness Resource Center
Recommended for: Students, Patients, Health Professionals. Mostly full text. Provides instant access to carefully compiled and trusted medical reference materials. Includes nearly 400 health/medical j...

Health Reference Center Academic
Recommended for: Students, Patients, Health Professionals. Mostly full text. Provides access to professional and personal health magazines, journals and reference sources. Michigan residents or Michig...

InfoTrac Physical Therapy and Sports Medicine Collection Both researcher and practitioner alike will find relevant, authoritative content in this collection, which includes over 100 titles covering the fields of physical therapy and sports medicine. .

InfoTrac Psychology Collection
This set explores what makes people "tick" from childhood to death. This collection gives individuals a basic understanding of the study of the mind, emotions and how the human mind develops and dimin...

MedlinePlus (free version)
Recommended for: Patients and health professionals. Some full text. Covers all areas of medicine, including dentistry and nursing. From the National Library of Medicine.

Nursing Resource Center
Recommended for:  Nursing students and other healthcare professionals. Mostly Full-text.  Nursing Resource Center brings together in an easy-to-use interface disease and drug overviews, care...

============================
NEW JERSEY provides access to Ebsco's Health  Source: Nursing/Academic edition at www.jerseyclicks.org

 ============================
NEW YORK-- NYS Library took the bold step of reaching out to physicians and residents, lawyers, and gov't workers, here with free remote access to their collections (leaving out librarians) , there is not much nursing in that collection save  Health Reference Center.  Everyone here now makes it a point to register all of our physicians and residents so that they have that access (library cards) and we link to their collections.  I let people know about the resource and sign them up.   http://www.nysl.nysed.gov/reference/borrowers/physicians.htm      and  http://www.nysl.nysed.gov/elecres.htm    To get the NY information, you can apply for a state library card via email, Fax or snail mail or use your NYS driver's license to access the databases.

AND
        <for everyone in NY> I totally forgot about NOVELNY.  Surprized no one else from NY State either mentioned it or is using it,   It is mostly school, business, consumer health, newspapers, encyclopedia,
etc.  But it is  free to hospital libraries if they ask and sign up.  (have to be non-profit I believe).    Medical:  Gale-Cengage:  Nursing,  Physical Therapy,  Health Reference Center Academic.

NOVELNY, the New York Online Virtual Electronic Library, is a public no-cost online information network that creates a "library without walls." NOVELNY provides a gateway for all New Yorkers, even those in the most geographically isolated communities, to a vast array of electronic books, e-journals, full text magazines and articles as well as to the rich resources of libraries throughout the state via online catalogs, digitized collections of photographs, images, maps, manuscripts, encyclopedias, journals and other proprietary databases licensed on a statewide basis for free public access.

http://novelnewyork.org/

Every public, school and hospital library can sign up for this.  You do have to be non-profit I believe.  I signed up for NOVELNY for my library.  I found that they have some useful full-text newspaper and health reference center academic.  When they ask for database suggestions I always ask for nursing and  more professional health.

http://dmvgateway.nysed.gov/login?url=http://infotrac.galegroup.com/itweb/nysl_ca_dmvacces?db=HRCA                 (ACCESS)

You must be a New York State resident to use this service. Your NYS Driver License or NYS Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) Non-Driver ID number will only be used to show that you are a New York State resident. No personal information is accessed or stored. Children may use the license number of a parent or guardian.
Additional Access: Public Libraries provide online access to subscription databases and other electronic materials, including NOVELNY databases. You can access the databases from your public library, or (in most cases) from outside the library with your public library card number or via password. Many academic libraries and school libraries also provide access to NOVELNY databases and other electronic resources.

============================
NORTH CAROLINA has NCLive (Nursing List  http://www.nclive.org/browse/nursing    or full list of databases http://www.nclive.org/browse
The CINAHL with Full Text and Medline are available for searching in NCLive, but my experience has been that the full text access varies based on the institution through which you access the system.
Therefore, if you are searching via a Public Library System you will have less full text access then if you are accessing the database from a university or college.

So even though the databases are available, the full text articles might be still be difficult to obtain.

I also find that many people in our area don't even know about NCLive or PubMed.  I was really surprised when my son's high school Honor's Biology teacher had never heard of either and yet in the class intro session to parents she mentioned they would have to write a research paper and Wikipedia was not an acceptable source (which was fine by me). So I asked if she was going to introduce them to PubMed and NCLive and she asked me "What is that",  I was shocked. This teacher has a Master's and teaching Honors Biology and other advance science courses and had never heard of PubMed?  Nor NCLive?

============================
OREGON.  We have a program where we currently provide a variety of resources to all Oregon licensed health professionals. Note that the public cannot access these resources just licensed health professionals. The program is administered by the Oregon Health & Science University Library. To find out more go to http://www.ohsu.edu/xd/education/library/orhp.cfm

============================
PENNSYLVANIA --Power Library, which is the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania's offering to libraries, does not include any professional level health resources from what I can tell. The contents of Power Library have really been cut back in the last several years.

============================
RHODE ISLAND has http://askri.gov   that provides Ebsco's Academic Search Elite but it has only a smattering of FT healthcare journals in it. One innovative approach that RI took, that I have not seen anywhere else so far (except possibly WI?), is that access to these resources is geographically authenticated. As I understand it, vendors detecting access from a RI-based computer allow access without requiring a library barcode, driver's license, college ID, etc.

============================
TENNESEE has Gale's Health Reference Center Academic as part of TEL (Tennessee Electronic Library).

============================
WASHINGTON State was concerned about this very issue, that of unaffiliated providers having access to the evidence-based literature and to full text, and in January 2009 we launched HEALWA, the Health Evidence Resource for Washington State. I published an article in JMLA in October 2010 detailing the beginnings of that portal. Since that writing we have added many resources, and a total of eight new professions have lobbied for eligibility and have gotten legislation passed (in two different legislative sessions) to allow them to be eligible. Every provider who holds a Washington license in one of the eligible professions has access to all of the resources in HEALWA without restriction and regardless of their institutional affiliation.
The JMLA article is at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2947126/  : Lawrence V, Welton N, Rambo N. Providing access to licensed content for care providers statewide: lessons learned. J Med Libr Assoc. 2010 October; 98(4): 302-305. doi: 10.3163/1536-5050.98.4.007

WISCONSIN, the BadgerLink resources were built on the concept of Access to all, from anywhere.  So if you have a WI public library card or have appropriate faculty/student ID from a Wisconsin educational institution or your ISP registered as in Wisconsin, you can access all resources linked from http://www.badgerlink.net / or your library portal that may include even more.  For example, the Informed Caring portal at http://www.informedcaring.org/Home.aspx , managed by Mandy Meloy *                                  ([log in to unmask])*, Wisconsin AHEC Librarian.  This started as a multitype AHEC project based in Green Bay, based on lessons learned from earlier Wisconsin AHEC efforts.

Wisconsin librarians, you may want to explore this portal and include it on your website, especially hospital librarians whose staff may have access based on UW Madison affiliation.  Not sure if this includes all students in the UW Collaborative online BSN completion program.  Others may want to explore as a model state protal, including several useful links.  This is a primary resource for WI public health professionals - looking forward to talking to Mandy in the near future, as would like to see an evaluation/published article.

The public "state library" BadgerLink portal includes database listing by vendor,the some specific groups including Health - screenshot below as I'm not sure if you can see outside WI.  In addition, the Ref & Loan library has a way libraries can access the EBSCO fulltext, via their LinkOut set-up. I'm learning how this works as a hospital librarian retiree with remote access.

WYOMING also has statewide databases. The unique database is the Cochrane Library, as we are the only state to provide access statewide. Here is the URL:http://gowyld.net/ Click on Health& Medicine to see the list

Thank you all, again!

Jo-Anne Aspri, MLS | LIBRARY | Kent Hospital | 455 Toll Gate Road | Warwick, RI 02886  | 401.737.7010 x31309 | jaspri AT kentri.org