Re: Library association membership

"Gore, Sally A" <[log in to unmask]>

Gore, Sally A

Mon, 10 Jun 2013 18:41:10 +0000

Hi Anne, Marcia, et al,

[Note: This is an open response to Anne's question, meaning that I'm also posting an edited version of it to my blog; maintaining everyone's anonymity in regards to the who, what, and where that the question was posed. I think it's a relevant topic for a larger audience.]

I've been a member of MLA since I became a medical librarian (2005). I was a member of ALA during library school and throughout my first few years working. I remain a regional member of ACRL, since I work in an academic health sciences library and the New England region of ACRL is an active group with relevant programming for me. I'm also very involved in my state and regional associations for health science librarians (MAHSLIN and NAHSL).

Your question is a really good one AND one that I know is being asked at national, regional and state-level organizations across the board. What is the relevance of these groups. Annual memberships, meeting costs, and service time add up quickly, and in this day and age when both time and money are in short supply, the return on one's investment really needs to be clear.

I very recently joined SLA. I made this decision for several reasons:

- My fairly new role as an informationist and embedded librarian requires many skills and covers many topics that I noticed SLA programming and resources (both regionally and nationally) support more than MLA, e.g. entrepreneurship, knowledge management, and embedded librarianship itself.

- I feel that my work is progressive in nature, meaning that I'm doing some things as a librarian that haven't always been viewed as a librarian's role. Quite frankly, I find MLA as a whole (please read this as a general statement and in no way a reflection upon any individual member and/or group within the organization) to be something less than progressive. We tend to put energies towards fighting a lot of battles that we have likely already lost. This is NOT to say that preserving our past and/or current roles is irrelevant, but I do feel that we often fight to keep things a certain way when we'd do better to fight for change. Again, this is simply my opinion and what played into my joining SLA.

- I appreciated the fact that membership in the national organization of SLA automatically included membership in the regional and local chapters. To me, this is a critical piece that MLA has missed for awhile. We really need strong local associations in order for the national one to mean much. To paraphrase our former Speaker of the House, "all professional development is local." We support one another a lot easier in our states and regions than we do at the national level. I have many, many wonderful friends in MLA who I LOVE seeing each year at the annual meeting, but when it comes to the day-to-day of my job, I get the most from colleagues nearby. I have felt for a number of years now that MLA could do a much better job demonstrating that it appreciates the value of the regional chapters.

- And finally, along with the reason cited above (one cost for both regional and national membership), the fact that membership dues in SLA are based upon a sliding scale, i.e. based upon salary, is a fantastic idea. This didn't make my membership much cheaper (maybe not cheaper than MLA at all, I can't remember at the moment), but it demonstrated an effort and awareness on behalf of the organization that while no librarian ever makes a million bucks, there is a bit of difference across the board and those who don't get paid much, in no way deserve to be left out of professional groups. While my institution has never paid any of my professional association dues, I know that some who experienced this benefit in the past are quickly finding it disappearing. Helping people belong is a good thing.

For now, I'll remain a member of both MLA and SLA. I've not yet experienced enough of SLA to grade it long-term and I do value the relationships I've made in MLA, along with most of the annual meeting programming, to stay a member. Hopefully, I'll be able to afford both for awhile, but I think that you raise a really good - and REALLY important - issue for all groups to grapple with today.

Sally

P.S. I've cc'd Howard Silver, chair of MLA's Membership Committee, on this reply just in case he's not on MEDLIB-L. If you are, Howard, please excuse the duplicate email.

Sally Gore, MS, MS LIS
Head, Research & Scholarly Communication Services
Informationist and Research Librarian
Lamar Soutter Library
UMass Medical School
(508) 856-1966