Re: SUMMARY: R2 Digital Library

Steve Clancy <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 21 Aug 2013 14:48:21 -0700

Apologies.

For some reason, the message text I sent was weirdly formatted and
difficult to read, at least in Thunderbird.  Here is (hopefully) a
better copy

--steve clancy

Howdy.

As promised, here is an unscientific summary of responses to my query
for opinions, good or bad, regarding the R2 Digital Library
(http://www.r2library.com). I've removed any identifying information
while preserving indications of the size of the institution (if offered)
using the product.

--steve clancy

   5 subscribe or are in a trial but are unhappy with some of its features
   6 who subscribe are happy with it or have indicated both pros and
cons (includes some of the previous number)
   1 expressed dissatisfaction with one feature

The most common complaints are

   Price
   No PDF option for download
   Cost per title compared to other vendors, e.g., EBSCO
   Yearly platform fee
   Multiple concurrent users requires multiple subscriptions for same title
   Searching archived titles requires a separate search

Some Pros are

   Easy to Navigate
   Upfront discount and 2 sales per year
   Works well with mobile devices as well as laptops/desktops
   Individual accounts for users and personal configuration, saving of
bookmarks, etc.
   Supports IP authenticated access
   Easy to print or email info.
   Can search individual books or a collection.
   Some exclusive titles, but contains Doody's Core Titles.
   Can purchase individual titles - no need to purchase a whole collection.
   The e-books are purchased, not leased.
   Nice "Reserve Shelf" feature.
   Administration is easy.
   Titles can be linked directly from catalog, etc.
   Can search purchased content and content that has not been purchased
(but not able to view full-text of the latter)
   Good customer service

In all fairness some of the Pros and Cons are not unique to this
product. Other similar products share one or more of these features or
deficiencies.

The comments I received are below.

We trialed R2 years ago and hated it, but I sat through their latest
demo and it seems much better.

I just started a trial yesterday and already I'm not happy.  They do
not have the option to save or download sections as pdf, which I use A
LOT!  I tried to print a chapter for one of my physicians and it only
prints in sections.  I cannot figure out how to print it in one
continuos page.  I called my rep twice yesterday and have gotten no
response yet.

So far, I'm not impressed.

We have not gotten R2 as it is expensive and but we do buy our books
from Rittenhouse. They have a upfront discount which is very nice and
have two sales a year.  The library system uses YBP or GOBI and e-books
are usually purchased through GOBI except for packages like Access Pharmacy.

We are a subscriber of the R2 library and like it very much. It is easy
to use and works well with laptops, iPads, and desktop computers. The
users are able to create individual accounts and bookmark and save parts
of eBooks for personal reference.

There is an annual platform fee of $1200. You purchase the number of
licenses you want for each eBook.

We looked at this option for our ebooks but rejected for these reasons:

yearly maintenance cost
no download available
cost per title compared with EBSCO

Other than that, we may have used it.

Their books aren't downloadable. Ebsco's ebooks are downloadable.

We were an early adopter of R2 book and have hundreds.  They have a nice
selection, especially of LWW books (some of which Ovid doesn't even
offer).  The only complaint I can make is the book costs and the steep
annual platform fee.  I discovered EBSCO's e-book offerings earlier this
year and they often have the same books as R2 for a lot less money and
no annual fee (this was especially true when I bought the books
contained in MDConsult which we cancelled last month).  Needless to say
if I can get a book I want from EBSCO instead of R2 that's the way I go now.

It's... okay.  No better or worse than any other e-book platform. Pretty
good range and selection of titles; it's a flat purchase option (you own
it forever), but the $1200 annual fee is a little steep. I believe they
participate in some consortium agreements to discount that fee - would
be worth checking.  No PDF download option, and if you copy / paste from
html, the text will include a thousand hyperlinks to dictionary
definitions of "gallbladder" or "aspirin," which is kind of annoying.
Neither love it or hate it.

We have 50 books on the r2 platform and have had 2,731 accesses in the
past 6 months. These are good stats for us. R2 supports nursing and
physician needs for on-site IP authenticated access and remote access
via user name/password. customer service has been excellent. Leading
books are ACLS,Swanson's Review and Harrison's followed by Understanding
Med-Surg Nursing.

We are a 6-hospital system with primary care offices in ########### with
600+ beds, 7500+ employees.

we have the R2 Library.  Last year we merged with a large university,
but when we were an independent college, I started the R2 Library
collection because they had e-books that were not available to us
through any other vendor.  We also have Ovid & Science Direct e-books
for the same reason.  Now that we are with a university, I can get
e-books through ebrary and Ebsco as well, so here is what I have to say
about the comparison.

Pros:
I like the R2 interface.  I think it's easy to use, and I like it better
than ebrary & Ebsco.
Easy to print or email info.
I can search individual books or a collection.
There are still books in the Rittenhouse collection that we can't get
through ebrary, Ebsco, Ovid or ScienceDirect.
I can purchase individual titles - no need to purchase a whole collection.
The e-books are purchased, not leased.
They have a nice "Reserve Shelf" feature.
Administration is easy.
Access can be by IP Address and/or username & password, and I think it's
unlimited usernames (if not, it's a lot).
Titles are in library catalog with link - making it easy to access for
those that don't just go the R2 Library URL.

Cons:
The subscription (hosting) fee is high ($1,200 per year).  However, the
cost has not changed in the 5 years we have had it.
The e-book prices are high - about 3 times a print book.  Now that I
have other avenues for e-book purchase, I compare prices first and have
gone with the lowest priced vendor.
Only one simultaneous user per e-book, so if it's a popular book, I have
purchased more than one copy.
Some titles are "archived" making extra steps when doing a search or
trying to find a title.
Format is HTML, not PDF.

When a book is "archived" because there is a newer edition it is really
hard to find.  We also found that some of the other vendors, who allow
us to purchase the book were cheaper.   On the positive note the older
editions don't completely disappear.

I think it's easy to navigate the content
The content is great. Good book title offerings. Doody's Core Titles.
The Admin side allows Administrator to add content and messages to their
patrons.
Can search purchased content and content that has not been purchased
(but not able to view full-text)
Rittenhouse provides their 2X year discount on all titles including Elsevier
The customer service specifically ####### was terrific and easy to work
with.

Cons:

The cost can be double or triple the Rittenhouse print price for one
concurrent user.
Cost does seem higher than other E-book platforms (specifically
comparing to StaRef)
Annual platform fee

Someone was nice enough to forward the results of a survey they did of
health professionals (Admin/Management Support, Allied Health & Social Care
Professionals, Nursing/Midwifery, Scientific/Technical) working in their
community area after a trial of the product.  Here is a summary of some
of the relevant stats.

Again, identifying information removed. Keep in mind this is not MY survey.

All Questions below had 10 Respondents.

1. How easy is it to access eBooks on this platform?

    Easy to use 100.0%
    Difficult to use 0.0%

2. How would you rate the range of ebooks available on this platform?

    Excellent 20.0%
    Very good 20.0%
    Good 60.0%
    Not very good 0.0%
    Poor 0.0%

2b. If you think any subject area is missing, please state what it is:

    Childminding
    Change Management
    Instrumentation i.e. HPLC & LC-MS, GC-MS etc, food analysis, wet
    chemistry, laboratory QC statistics
    Hygiene Services and their adoption - cleaning services,
    disinfection techniques by general operatives: Governance in public
    service as well as clinical governance

3. How easy is it to find a specific book using the R2 Digital Library?

    Very easy 30.0%
    Easy 30.0%
    Satisfactory 30.0%
    Not easy 10.0%
    Not easy at all 0.0%

4. How would you rate the user experience of this eBook format?

    Excellent 10.0%
    Good 70.0%
    Not Good 20.0%
    Not Intuitive Enough 0.0%
    Not at all Intuitive 0.0%
    Intuitive 0.0%

5. What do you like most about the R2 Digital Library Product?

    Easy to access
    The format  user friendly easy to find a book
    Easy to find the reference you want
    Place finding
    Good
    So easy to use
    Easy access
    INstant access to online content
    It gives opportunity for easy access to the books available.
    It's availability, and type of product available

6. What changes would most improve the R2 Digital Library product?

    Include more books
    None
    Couldn't access the chapter by clicking in on contents page but had
    to go through key word search
    Not sure whats available
    At the moment none.
    More titles!
    Make the books easier to read on PC, maybe "loans" to kindles or
    tablet readers.

7. If you had a choice between the 123Library.org Ebook Platform and the
R2 Digital Library Platform to offer to our Library users, which would
you choose and why?

    123Library.org 10.0%
    R2 Digital Library 90.0%

7b. Why?

    Haven't seen both
    Straightforward
    Very easy to use
    I choose R2 Digital Library because I have not used 123Library.org...
    Very user friendly
    123library is very confusing to use, difficult to find particular
    subjects.

8. How important is mobile (smartphones, IPads etc.) access to ebooks
when choosing this type of product?

    Extremely important 10.0%
    Very important 20.0%
    Moderately important 40.0%
    Slightly important 10.0%
    Not at all important 20.0%

9. Overall, are you satisfied with your experience using R2 Digital
Library, neither satisfied or dissatisfied with it, or dissatisfied with it?

    Extremely satisfied 10.0%
    Moderately satisfied 50.0%
    Slightly satisfied 40.0%
    Neither satisfied nor dissatisfied 0.0%
    Slightly dissatisfied 0.0%
    Moderately dissatisfied 00%
    Extremely dissatisfied 0.0%

On 8/13/2013 2:29 PM, Steve Clancy wrote:
 > Howdy.
 >
 > I am looking for opinions, good or bad, regarding the R2 Digital
Library (http://www.r2library.com).

 > Are there things you like or hate about it. How does it compare to
other eBook collections?

 > Feel free to respond off-list. I'm happy to summarize if there is
interest.

 > Thanks in advance.
 >
 > --steve

                    Steve Clancy, MLS
    Research Librarian for Health Sciences and Nursing Science
          Ayala Science Library/Grunigen Medical Library
              Univ. of Calif., Irvine CA. U.S.A.
              949-824-7309 * sclancy AT uci.edu
     http://www.faculty.uci.edu/profile.cfm?faculty_id=5109
"We don't see things as they are...We see things as we are." - Anais Nin