VTBIRD Archives

September 2013

VTBIRD@LIST.UVM.EDU

Reply To:
Vermont Birds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Sep 2013 14:57:10 -0400
Great job Eric in describing LISP and a terrific photo. On a good fall day down here in the banana belt I might see upwards f half a dozen LISPs. They are actually, i find, fairly common in suitable habitat. Two other ID features. Whenever I get on to a LISP I find myself thinking: what a cutie! Song sparrow, by comparison, are big bruisers and rarely  elicit this response. More seriously, LISP has a pretty characteristic call note. It is a quiet, rather electric sounding and urgent call, rather like the alarm call of dark-eyed junco. Once learned it is very characteristic.

Hector Galbraith
802 258 4836
802 222 1916 (cell)