A spattering of Sparrows @ Charlotte P&WR

Alison Wagner <[log in to unmask]>

Vermont Birds <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 26 Sep 2013 21:14:09 -0400

Hi,

This afternoon I enjoyed a three hour walk around Diemeter Park (a.k.a. Charlotte Park & Wildlife Refuge).  This site continues to harbor some nice birds, with today’s top sightings being of the sparrow sorts.  The Byington Trail’s northern edge is known for Field Sparrow activity and today I counted at least 7.  There may have been more as I continued to see them as I headed down the trail.  The southern edge of the same trail, where it merges with the Thorpe Trail, also was busy.  White-crowns, White-throats, Savannahs, and Songs fed along the edge of the road as well as in the shrubs that bordered both sides of the trail. Some never ventured out from cover....Later,  Towhees made their presence known from deep within the honeysuckle jungle along the Robert’s Way trail and a gang of White-throats scrapping in the leaf litter reminded me it’s almost time to rake the yard (they were LOUD)!  Complete list is below.

Enjoy the next few sunny days and get out there n’ see some birds!!

Ali

Charlotte Park and Wildlife Refuge, Chittenden, US-VT
Sep 26, 2013 3:30 PM - 6:50 PM
Protocol: Traveling
2.0 mile(s)
31 species

Canada Goose (Branta canadensis)  X     heard only while flying over
Wood Duck (Aix sponsa)  1
Red-tailed Hawk (Buteo jamaicensis)  1
Rock Pigeon (Columba livia)  6
Mourning Dove (Zenaida macroura)  1
Northern Flicker (Colaptes auratus)  1
Eastern Phoebe (Sayornis phoebe)  3
Blue Jay (Cyanocitta cristata)  8
American Crow (Corvus brachyrhynchos)  2
Black-capped Chickadee (Poecile atricapillus)  14
Golden-crowned Kinglet (Regulus satrapa)  10     families of kinglets in four distinct areas;  only counted ones seen.
Ruby-crowned Kinglet (Regulus calendula)  3
Eastern Bluebird (Sialia sialis)  1
Wood Thrush (Hylocichla mustelina)  1
American Robin (Turdus migratorius)  11
Gray Catbird (Dumetella carolinensis)  9
European Starling (Sturnus vulgaris)  18
Cedar Waxwing (Bombycilla cedrorum)  3
Nashville Warbler (Oreothlypis ruficapilla)  2
Common Yellowthroat (Geothlypis trichas)  3
Magnolia Warbler (Setophaga magnolia)  2
Pine Warbler (Setophaga pinus)  2
Yellow-rumped Warbler (Setophaga coronata)  9
Eastern Towhee (Pipilo erythrophthalmus)  2
Field Sparrow (Spizella pusilla)  8     All seen very well.  4 in road, feeding, flew to field and bushes to the left while 4 more were on a brush pile on the opposite side of the road.  This is a low count;  I saw another 3 a few minutes later about 50 feet down the trail and could have been others.
Savannah Sparrow (Passerculus sandwichensis)  5
Song Sparrow (Melospiza melodia)  6
White-throated Sparrow (Zonotrichia albicollis)  7
White-crowned Sparrow (Zonotrichia leucophrys)  4
Northern Cardinal (Cardinalis cardinalis)  2
American Goldfinch (Spinus tristis)  2

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist?subID=S15262877